Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So Is Diablo Really Dead or What???

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BuddhaMind, May 10, 2005.

1. BuddhaMind

BuddhaMind IncGamers Member

So Is Diablo Really Dead or What???

It's my impression that starting Diablo fresh and clean is a waste of time and electrons, that the game community around it has "evolved" to the point where you can't play solo, you can't play with found equipment, you can only hope to trade and mule stuff after slogging through game after game and dying, and, above all, that 1.10 is an impossible game for warriors such as barbarians and a virtual cakewalk for Necros, etc.

So, I'm asking. As someone who doesn't like the idea of getting ripped off on Diablo servers (notorious for that nonsense) and wants to start up again playing solo, is there any hope? How do you answer the above complaints??

Best,

BuddhaMind

2. goltar25

goltar25 IncGamers Member

First, welcome to the SPF.

You can most certainly play solo, I do so all the time. The only non-solo I do is mp with my wife. As for playing with only self-found equipment, look at any of the tournaments. Most of those are done solo, using only self-found equipment, with an underpowered build. 1.10 is not impossible for any build. My first patriarch (1.10, never had one earlier) was a barbarian using mostly items he found, and a few early game items from my other characters. Just start playing and enjoy the game. You don't have to have all the best stuff or builds, all that is needed is for you to have fun playing.

3. barren

barren IncGamers Member

To answers your questions, no, there is no hope, and no one here actually plays diablo 2. Sure there's a few diehard crazies at the sp forum who claim that they do, but they're crazy, and shouldn't be trusted. We've all moved onto bigger and better games like starcraft.

4. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

Baal isn't dead since if you go back to the WSK after killing him he's still laughing at you... unless that's Warriv....

SPers who don't trade can do the game without trading or muling items. Untwinked guardians, even barbarians, aren't impossible.

Is 1.10 hard(er), yes, and that's why it's great. If you want an easy game you know you can beat keep playing Nightmare. People without skill or too lazy to adjust to 1.10 say 1.10Hell is impossible. Read guides and the forums for hints and ideas to make builds work. If you run into problems make a thread and people will help you.

Edit: I also remember how when 1.10 came out many people cried about how badly the Sorceress was nerfed and was now impossible. Guess what is still the #1 most popular/recommended character for MagicFind in Hell... the Sorceress.

5. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Oooh, a non-believer! Let's convert him, shall we? ;)

Seriously though, BuddhaMind, you must have gone over some threads, before you posted, otherwise you wouldn't have posted at all. So, you've seen the community, the amount of people still playing, the builds being thought up, the fun being had with whatever aspect of the game, the achievements being made, etc. Ok, and the slight insanity, too... ;)

To answer your question: yes, there is hope. There always is.

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Diablo 2 is dead. Dodo's are more alive than this game. in fact, we all play pong, but we call it diablo 2 so it doesnt look so off topic.
    Oh, and you say about being ripped off on diablo 2 servers, but you dont have to pay to play online (although i think if they made it $1 a month per account, that would do more for stopping dupers than there once in a blue moon cleanups.)

7. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I think you're about 2 years late to complain about 1.10 being impossible for melee builds. :p I'm pretty sure I don't need to post all my various chars again to "prove" that it can be done, and in HC at that...

8. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Yup, he is. Nisha, my swordmaiden assassin (while showing newly-exposed skin after she ditched the Iceblink, mmm) laid the smack down on him early this morning. Toe to toe all the way, and didn't need a potion (granted, it was only normal).

As for Baal, I'll get back to you in a bit. :)

Seriously, though, the game is not dead. Hordes of rabid fans here still play, some play untwinked, many play hardcore, and some even play untwinked and hardcore. Most of these people play v1.10.

9. Chiastic

Chiastic IncGamers Member

In fact, I tend to think that the very existence of Dracs makes melee builds almost too easy.

10. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

I played an untwinked smiter all the way through at the beginning of 1.10. Untwinked smiters (with no uniques) aren't exactly gods at PvM, but it was damn fun and yes it is quite doable.

Playing solo is what most of us do. For myself I never trade, I only use what I find or what drops in game, but that's because trading was the last straw in B.Net. I occassionally give something away, but that's about the extent of it.

Also, check out the MP sticky if you want some MP action.

Cheers!

11. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Hello. To feel more of our welcome you might want to post an intro about yourself and what not.

Are you converted yet? Should we bring a pali in to finish you? Or better yet corax's untwinked guardian 'sin who used only wirt's leg as a weapon and finished at level 69. That tourney was the witch.

12. Illiana

Illiana IncGamers Member

Well, I made a no vitality/no shield/no twinking/no multiplayer/no act 2 or 5 merc character a Guardian, so 1.10 is most certainly not impossible. :D Welcome to the place were practically everyone actually plays through act 2 and 3! :cool:

13. BuddhaMind

BuddhaMind IncGamers Member

Well done, well done.

I happen to enjoy Diablo II, started playing it about two years ago and my wife also plays. I have Adult Attention Disorder, I'm sure, I've played several characters up into the second round of characters but somehow park them and start new ones. My wife, on the other hand, will run them till they drop (and they don't very often).

I have followed the newsgroup for Diablo 2 for a long time and was very happy to discover what was obviously an active forum and more so to find that people are open about their games -- especially SP, especially 1.10 and thankfully rather untwinked.

Having flirted around with the game, it's easy to get the impression that it's often people who can post killer builds dependent on items they've found over the past 4 years solid of playing and muled or bought or traded.

Also, my understanding has been that the online server MP aspect is home to bots, cheating, etc. etc.

So, anyway, I have a love of barbs and wouldn't mind a decent sorceress who could survive and I'm the type who's a little bored by Necros commanding armies and Paladins. Assassins, however, are quite cool. Amazons with bows are cool. With Javelins -- nah, that looks too much like someone's got a toothpick going after a cut of cheese. Ok, maybe not that bad, but, well, there you have it.

So, that's more than anyone wants to know about me. But I do appreciate the replies and the encouragement.

BuddhaMind

14. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Ha, did we get tricked or what?

Welcome to the SPF BuddhaMind! :) Hope you'll enjoy your stay here, and will come to like and love our little community here. Also, if your wife hasn't sign up yet, ask her to: fun for her and you both. Plus, new EU's are always nice to have around.

Mmm, conversion worked after all, sorta, in a way, if you squint, and look cross-eyed... Anyway, yes, please build a Sorc. They're incredible fun to play, but then, i might be biased... ;)

15. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

yeah!!! We converted another one!!!! Glad you want to join us, feel free to stop by the EMB for a drink and the DooL for RL goings on. Here are your cookies, squid repelant and a hope that fb doesn't notice...

ps. Have I mentioned the tourneys? they rule.

16. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

As a challenge/test by an online buddy, I started playing Classic HC on Bnet .. talk about eye opening. I guess I had been pampered by SC/LoD to the point of knowing exactly what to do .. this is a totally different situation where you are completely underpowered and need to make use of new strategies. I'm also lucky if I can see more than 2 games up since virtually no-one plays it on Bnet so you can't even trade .... everything has to be self found. Anyway, managed to get my overlord to lvl 60 and he is A2 Hell now. I'm using him to farm Normal Diablo for items since you only have normal sets/uniques in Classic. I find it prety funny how rare items are now suddenly very valuable

--T

17. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

welcome, actually i am currently in the process of leveling a virtually untwinked sorc (i received a few items that i used until about level 20 at which point i ditched them for rares i found) and she is almost lvl 78 in act 4 hell. this isnt hardcore, but hey im proud of myself. I used to play bnet because i wanted the social aspect of gaming, but with the SPF you can get cheat free, lag free, and n00b free gaming and meet so many cool people in the process.

*boots buddhamind in the shins and runs away*

18. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Interesting tale, Hakai. Every time I step into 1.10, the ease of magic-finding is just boggling. Regular monsters seem to be hurling uniqes to the ground if you even give them a menacing look. Along with the plethora of runewords available, and p8 for levelling, it is possible to level and outfit a character fairly quickly. Starting untwinked in other versions is much more challenging, imho.

Plus, /nopickup has to be the greatest improvement evar!

19. corax

corax IncGamers Member

i like the sound of smiting!

not while i'm here.

welcome to the forums :D enjoy your stay and read the faqs. do it. im not kidding. do it or ill send necronubbeh after j00!

20. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

Yep...

I had shelved D2 for a few years till 1.10 came out and I started playing single player! I just enjoy it a lot more! Welcome to the club.