So I'm thinking of buying a car...

SheldonTheMagnifacent

Diabloii.Net Member
So I'm thinking of buying a car...

This one in particular http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/5930985 and I've got a few questions.

I don't have much car buying experience, so I'm not sure how fair the price is, or how much I should offer. Any suggestions?

Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't be looking at buying this car? I mean, its a type of car I would like owning and I don't see any big reasons I shouldn't be(Except gas prices maybe.), but maybe there is something I don't know?

And if I do end up going to look at it, is there anything I should specifically look/watch out for?

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: So I'm thinking of buying a car...

Is the car in your area? If so make sure that you test drive it during the day. A friend of mine who is a mechanic and has bought tons of old cars gave me this advice for buying a used car:

1. Make sure that the engine sounds good and is not making and knocking or pinging sounds when you accellerate.
2. Make sure that the transmission shifts smoothly without a big "jump" between gears.
3. Check the oil and transmission fluid. If it is really dark or burnt smelling it could mean that you have engine or transmission problems, both bad news.
4. Make sure the car doesn't pull to either side when you brake, or shake when you reach high speeds.

Also, make sure you get the VIN number and order a CARFAX report before you buy it. It will tell you if the seller is trying to hide any major title issues on the car (rolled back mileage, was totaled, was in a fire or flood, etc.)

Also, what are you planning on using the car for? Your main vehicle or as a restoration piece? Understand that when you own a car with 120,000 miles from 1971, you're probably going to pay a lot more in maintenance than a newer car. The parts in a car can only last so long under regular use. Things like alternators, thermostats, water pumps, fuel pumps, etc, can basically fail at any time when your car is that old. Keep this in mind and make sure you have it regularly checked for potential problems. Also make sure you have AAA or some other kind of roadside assistance for the times if and when you break down.

Don't let this talk discourage you, sometimes old cars are absolute tanks that will run forever. My friend is driving an 89 Pontiac with 95K miles on it that runs beautifully (looks like crap though) and I'm driving a 97 Towncar with close to 140K miles that is one of the best running cars I've ever driven. Cars are like people in a lot of ways. Sometimes a car treats you like crap and is a huge problem; sometimes it's great and wonderful and never gives you any headaches.

Good luck!!! :thumbup:

SheldonTheMagnifacent

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

I plan to use it as my main car, though maintenance shouldn't be to bad as there is many places to buy used parts cheep around here, and I've got a mechanic buddy who could help me put em in for the price of a case of beer.

The reasons I'm looking at this one aside from liking it are, this will only be my second car so I'm looking for something cheep and fun to drive and its a real pain for me to get to work without a car, and I don't want to have to spend alot of time saving up for something newer/nicer if this car will do all I want it to.

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member

if it doesn't have cancer that would be more than a fair price for a 4 door in ontario.

i would offer him 750 cash and see if he bites.

take it for a test drive and pay to have it put up on a hoist so you can get a good look at the underside.

Stoutwood

Diabloii.Net Member

You're going to have to paint that thing. It isn't a good idea to run around with just primer on.

Luckily any idiot can do work on one of those older cars, so it's a good thing to learn on. Also, Novas are sweet.