So I'm leaving for Mongolia tomorrow..

bustme

Diabloii.Net Member
So I'm leaving for Mongolia tomorrow..

Yup, I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go to Mongolia for 2 weeks. Was preparing it for weeks now. I'm gonna lead a team of 19 people to visit various organizations, such as WorldVision and UNDP, Ulaanbaatar City Hall, and learn how they contribute to the poverty/development issues in the country. Also we'll do some volunteering work (building houses and stuff), and stay with nomadic tribes and see how they live, listen to what they want to say about the development. Gonna stay at UB for about a half week, then stay at Jargalant for the volunteer work, visit the Gobi desert, and back to UB. The two weeks won't be pretty, (minimal access to water, hard work, hot sun, cold nights, etc) but I'm looking forward to it, and so is everybody else, and so you could say I'm pretty ecstatic about my visit. The I've got the visa, food to eat during my stay, and just about to pack my bags. Almost ready. So guys, please wish me luck, and hope that I get a rewarding, valuable, unforgettable 14 days :)

Steve_Kow

Banned
Awesome dude, now you'll be able to impress girls with stories that begin with "Well, this one time in the Gobi desert . . . "

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
It sounds to me like you're going to have the experience of a lifetime. Take lots of pictures, and take a journal along. Each night, write about what you did that day. When you go back and read the journal and see the pictures, you'll remember your vacation really vividly. And have fun!

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Make sure you see the nature way out in nowhere. Its really beautiful out there, been there myself. We lived with nomads for 2 nights, it was really awesome!
Enjoy it!
(ulan bator isnt a beautiful town in any way though, but still interesting) ;)

bustme

Diabloii.Net Member
Hehe, thanks all.

I do plan to take a lot of pictures. And draw a little too (if I can), though I know I probably won't end up with something I'm satisfied with.

Ulaanbaatar doesn't have much to see, I agree, but we're going there mostly to visit the organizations mentioned above.

Bags all packed, leaves in half an hour. See you guys!

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
I expect you to find to location of Gengis Khan's grave as well for a magical expariment that will further the OTF's plan for World Domination. :evil:

masterazn

Banned
I went to Mongolia last October on a Habitat For Humanity trip. It's an awesome country, very unique and all. One US Dollar is approximately 1250 Mongolian Tugrid (sp?) and the average can of coke costs 600 Tugrid (sp?). So yeah, I was a millionaire there and all and they only have Hyundai cars. Have fun.

Matt

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
masterazn said:
they only have Hyundai cars. Have fun.
They must have either a booming car repair industry or a booming Hyundai sales industry, or both there.

masterazn

Banned
Matt said:
They must have either a booming car repair industry or a booming Hyundai sales industry, or both there.

Well, they just have a lot of Hyundais. I was there for 14 days, I literally did not see anything else. I also only saw one police officer, he was on a Hyundai scooter (wtf?).

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
AeroJonesy said:
It sounds to me like you're going to have the experience of a lifetime. Take lots of pictures, and take a journal along. Each night, write about what you did that day. When you go back and read the journal and see the pictures, you'll remember your vacation really vividly. And have fun!
Good advice.

Especially the have fun part :)

Garbad

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
It sounds like a cool place to visit. I have been to China, Taiwan, and Japan several times. But never to Mongolia. you'll have to post some pics upon your return. Have fun!

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I took the Beijing-Irkutsk train across Mongolia once, but I only got out on the platform at Ulaan Bator (let's see how many spellings of this city we can fit in this thread). Have a good trip, and be glad you aren't going in February!

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
Raistlin Majere said:
I expect you to find to location of Gengis Khan's grave as well for a magical expariment that will further the OTF's plan for World Domination. :evil:
I think that place is probably about a 1000 kilometers more to the west (or south-west) from Mongolia itself...

David.