Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So I was Robin Hood for a couple weeks...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Gabber_Roid, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Gabber_Roid

Gabber_Roid IncGamers Member

So I was Robin Hood for a couple weeks...

... sigh

Finally got my 80s Meteorb fast enough to do some quick nightmare runs for the first time. Picking up greens, yellows, and golds like mad for once. Only thing is 99% of it isn't worthy of putting onto my chars.

So.. like so many before me.. I cleared out some extra space in my stash so I could really bring in a haul... made a couple runs.. then decided to start making Norm "Free Stizzuff" games. HOLY CRAP do people FLOCK to these!!!

What sucks though is if I've got a really good char specific item that I want to 'give' to the guy via the trade window and they act like its some kind of scam. Oh well.. I drop it and you'll have a 1 in 8 chance of pickin it up.

To top it off, I loved it how some guy started spamming "Gabber, help me lvl ancients please"

Pift... hmph oh well, that's my story.

I might "Free Stizzuff" on some really awesome lower level Gold items... but for the time being, the Robin Hood in me is no more :(

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, I must admit, when I first read this, Robin Hood, I thought you were scamming the rich to give to the poor :D

But about giveaways, you got 2 rather nice options:

1) make a post on the forum here with.

2) make a game called: TriviaNubfree (don't know if gamename can be that long but you get the idea)
    then tell them you're gonna ask questions and the first one that answers correctly receives a free newbish item :thumbsup:

3. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

The patience span of a typical bnet kid aint nearly long enough for that :]
    They will most likely just call you a noob or some more abusive term, and leave the game. Or challenge ur lvl 1 mule to a duel against their botted 97.

4. marshaldwm2

marshaldwm2 IncGamers Member

LOL, actually I cannot think of a more annoying way to give or get free stuff. More like a power trip than an act of kindness.

Actually scratch the above, I remember some idiot who posted "items by a wp in game" and then left. What fun, popping from wp to wp.

I figure, if you dont want to give it away, dont, no need to power trip

5. TheSpeaker

TheSpeaker IncGamers Member

I like to make games with my high level char and make them run behind me. Then I drop items I found in normal blood moor and they all go like, you suck man, and that's funny. ^_^

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

rich monsters

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I make quiz threads in the Europe trade forum with Diablo-related questions, so only members can participate. In case of bulk giveaways I simply don't care about it all, dropping stuff in a game, placing a mule in it (so the game persists for a while), going afk and posting name + password here.

What I dislike are threads where the poster asks for reasons why the particular person should get that item or where he wants to hear jokes or things like that. I guess I would feel humiliated if I had to make up a story about why I need the stuff while the real reason is just greed (and everybody knows that).

8. Dawnmaster

I think I missed a point here, those trivia games I made were rather amusing.

I have sofar only had one pubby going mental on me when I asked questions, the rest was cool with it and even thanked me when they got a free pgem or nightsmoke orso.

I don't make these games to be kind, I make them for fun (although I'm not sure what you mean by 'power trip'?)

9. krischan

That's what I meant with the last paragraph - making people humiliate themselves :)

10. Dawnmaster

You do realize what a Trivia is, right?

It's not like I'm asking them to strip naked infront of a webcam :rolleyes:

11. Wmeredith

Wmeredith IncGamers Member

That's one of the great patience-testers of the kind. If you choose to be charitable you rarely get to choose who to.

I just make a norm game called "free stuff" or whatever and as soon as at least one person enters the game, I unload on the ground and I'm out. I'm afraid if I hear them complain and ask for rushes, it will harden my heart further than the pubbies already have.

12. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

When I find items that are of no use to me, but might be to somebody totally unrich just starting out, I try joining norm games and see what chars are playing. Feels better to give away things too a bunch of lowlvls questing than your average:
    "gib free!"
    "gib free!"
    "gib free!"
    "gib free!"
    "N TALS!"
    "N TALS!"
    "N TALS!"
    "N TALS!"

As for finding norm games, I just try typing things as "act1 start", "act1", "help me" etc. Usually hit something in a couple of tries.

13. krischan

English is not my native question. I thought a trivia is a kind of quiz, typically about trivial things, not a contest of making the biggest fool out of yourself.

BTW, I was referring to you mentioning the word "power trip". People who can afford it to pay others to do things like stripping in front of a webcam, eating bugs or beating up themselves into unconciousness probably like to have that kind power over them. To a lesser extent, it's probably the same with asking others for an explanation why they should get a certain giveaway item.

14. CheckMyPecs

CheckMyPecs IncGamers Member

I get a kick out of spreading spare wealth because so many people helped me out with free gear after my 3 year absence from the game, and I totally agree about the satisfaction of helping those who help themselves. Popping into quest games and surprising some intrepid chars with shiny new gear sure beats dealing with the whining, gimme-gimme masses.

15. druliusCleaver

druliusCleaver IncGamers Member

I don't do it as much anymore because I play less in general, but the way I like to give away the nicest low lvl gear I find or won't use anymore is to use a norm (lvl <10) mule and enter games with chars just below the min lvl of the item I'm giving. Then I play the game as the mule for 30 seconds or so. If the players don't ask me to party with them or try to talk to me, I leave and try another game. Once partied, I wait for tp. No tp, no freebies, except if there's only one other player, I'll try to make sure they know how to chat and party up before I leave. Then I play with the party a little. Since the mule I use will typically be a well dressed (low lvl set collection pieces) yet weak attacker for the monster lvl, I can attack freely and not swing the tide of battle.

I've played the game long enough to know whether the characters I'm playing with play thoughtfully like I do, or whether they're mhing. I can also tell when they are brand spanking new to the game, running around taking big hits from little monsters. Giving to the weakest chars works the best. If I've got something class specific, I try to isolate my mule in the same room as the char I want to give to, or follow them to town. When I have their attention and am alone in the room with them, I'll just drop the item, or in town I give it to them in a trade. These players can be so appreciative it's worth the time it takes to find them. It also can be a nice play break from higher level leveling.

16. krischan

LOL, what a mistake... I meant "English is not my native language", of course...

17. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

actually, something i end up doing quite often when i get stuff i don't want that i KNOW someone will want... i look for nightmare games.

i haven't beaten nightmare with my sorc yet, and don't plan on it anytime soon. Thus seeing nightmare games is easy.

What i do, is look for the poor people who ended up getting the baal normal quest done, and enter nightmare at under lvl 32 usually... mostly people are under 28. I enter their games and give them stuff... because starting off playing the game when i started, someone did baal quest, i finished normal at lvl 22 on a druid... it was impossible! no one gave me squat and i was lost with sucky gear. Thus i don't want people to end up like that thus reward low lvl people who entered nightmare most of the time too early so they don't hate themselves and that character -_-

18. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Give-aways.

I've only played a D2-classic b.net-game (ladder) twice and found that there were certainly charitable, friendly people around. This dude and I finished the Act-1-normal quests together. Afterwards he just dropped his spare-equipment and "went East" giving me stuff I would never have been able to get on my cLvl.

So no power-trip or whatever; he didn't need it, I could use it (and still do). Nothing more.

(Although this method is probably more difficult to execute in an 8 player-game for instance; free stuff dropped in camp won't always end up where you might want it to.)

Thanks to Amazonian (on the European Realm) for that....

David.