So I made a Doom.....defiance merc question/thoughts

lord_gerbik

Diabloii.Net Member
So I made a Doom.....defiance merc question/thoughts

So I just made myself a sexy *** ethereal Doom Cryptic Axe and intend to use it on my lvl90 mf sorc's merc. She has been using a Holy Freeze merc, but now I am going to switch to a Defiance merc, since Doom has the Holy Freeze aura already........here is my question:

Is it worth the trouble of leveling up a Defiance merc hired in normal (from like lvl12 up to lvl90 where my sorc is now - that's a lot of lvling) and getting the lvl 18 aura or should I just take the easy road and hire the Defiance merc in Hell (who will have his aura capped at lvl16)?

I've never used a Defiance merc before so I don't know how enormous the difference between a lvl16 aura and a lvl18 aura is..........any thoughts?

Thanks for any input y'all may have...

toader

Banned
I would level him up, use cows and pinndle (let him kill all the cows and pinndles boys as he can)

I dunno why you chose defiance, I would ALWAYS go with a might merc, very nice to have them kicking butt for you all the time. At lvl 90 you shouldnt need the defense too much anyways....but thats just my opinion.

lord_gerbik

Diabloii.Net Member
toader said:
I would level him up, use cows and pinndle (let him kill all the cows and pinndles boys as he can)

I dunno why you chose defiance, I would ALWAYS go with a might merc, very nice to have them kicking butt for you all the time. At lvl 90 you shouldnt need the defense too much anyways....but thats just my opinion.
An interesting thought.....I guess I was gonna go with defiance of a couple reasons...

1) I always use Might mercs, thinking of trying something different
2) My sorc already does a boatload of damage on her own, and obviously might would do nothing for her directly....however the defiance aura would help her out directly....ya feel me?

Like how much defense does defiance add at high levels? I have no experience with these guys.

Gorny

Banned
I looked this earlier & thought about a might merc as well. With Doom , that's 2 great auras in one. But does the might aura affect a sorc's spell damage in addition to physical attack ?

lord_gerbik

Diabloii.Net Member
aragorn_elessar said:
I looked this earlier & thought about a might merc as well. With Doom , that's 2 great auras in one. But does the might aura affect a sorc's spell damage in addition to physical attack ?
Well, that is the banana...might would have no affect on my sorc's damage. Hence the reason I was looking for other, perhaps more useful, auras.

Andy225

Diabloii.Net Member
I was pimping on my lvl 90 paladin with my lvl 90 defiance merc equipped with shael shael bonehew/3 socketed griz armor with ed jewels, tals mask.....

He hardly ever died, he was god. So I thought i'd trade him in and get a might merc, big mistake the added damage isnt that much. Also he dies a lot!... Defiance/holy freeze would be really nice! or Defiance/might...

Gorny

Banned
lord_gerbik said:
Well, that is the banana...might would have no affect on my sorc's damage. Hence the reason I was looking for other, perhaps more useful, auras.

Exactly, if you are not a melee sorc then might would not be best for you. Defiance/Holy Freeze sounds better.

alainpp66

Diabloii.Net Member
Defiance HF is the way to go...

I can't tell you how much def you'll lose with the Norm/Hell Slvl difference because I don't know your base def but with Doom a Norm Merc will have a lvl20 Defiance (+260%) and a Hell Merc will have lvl18 (+240%)...

It's up to you if it's worth it... I always like getting the Max from my mercs, but at that level, I don't think it's worth the effort. Hire one from Hell. With good gear you'd notice a minimal difference.

lord_gerbik

Diabloii.Net Member
alainpp66 said:

I can't tell you how much def you'll lose with the Norm/Hell Slvl difference because I don't know your base def but with Doom a Norm Merc will have a lvl20 Defiance (+260%) and a Hell Merc will have lvl18 (+240%)...

It's up to you if it's worth it... I always like getting the Max from my mercs, but at that level, I don't think it's worth the effort. Hire one from Hell. With good gear you'd notice a minimal difference.
Thanks for the input. I'm about to give a Hell Defiance merc a whirl and see what he has to offer.

Oh, and I also used to have a link to a page that listed all the possible Mercenary names but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone have such a link? I'm picky with the names....

alainpp66

Diabloii.Net Member
A1
Aliza
Amplisa
Annor
Abhaya
Elly
Paige
Basanti
Blaise
Kyoko
Klaudia
Kundri
Kyle
Visala
Elexa
Floria
Fiona
Gwinni
Gaile
Hannah
Heather
Iantha
Diane
Isolde
Divo
Ithera
Itonya
Liene
Maeko
Mahala
Liaza
Meghan
Olena
Oriana
Ryann
Rozene
Raissa
Sharyn
Shikha
Debi
Tylena
Wendy

A2
Hazade
Alhizeer
Azrael
Ahsab
Chalan
Haseen
Razan
Emilio
Pratham
Fazel
Jemali
Kasim
Gulzar
Mizan
Leharas
Durga
Neeraj
Ilzan
Zanarhi
Waheed
Vikhyat

A3
Jelani
Barani
Jabari
Devak
Raldin
Telash
Ajheed
Narphet
Khaleel
Phaet
Geshef
Vanji
Haphet
Thadar
Yatiraj
Rhadge
Yashied
Jarulf
Flux
Scorch

A5
Varaya
Khan
Klisk
Bors
Brom
Wiglaf
Hrothgar
Scyld
Healfdane
Heorogar
Halgaunt
Hygelac
Egtheow
Bohdan
Wulfgar
Hild
Heatholaf
Weder
Vikhyat
Unferth
Sigemund
Heremod
Hengest
Folcwald
Frisian
Hnaef
Guthlaf
Oslaf
Yrmenlaf
Garmund
Freawaru
Eadgils
Onela
Damien
Erfor
Weohstan
Wulf
Bulwye
Lief
Magnus
Klatu
Drus
Hoku
Kord
Uther
Ip
Ulf
Tharr
Kaelim
Ulric
Alaric
Ethelred
Caden
Elgifu
Tostig
Alcuin
Emund
Sigurd
Gorm
Hollis
Ragnar
Torkel
Wulfstan
Alban
Barloc
Bill
Theodoric

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
lord_gerbik said:
If the merc is wearing doom then the -cold res on doom will ONLY boost the cold damage done by the merc himself, not the player in any way. The same thing goes for the -lightning res on crescent moon.

Fearox

Diabloii.Net Member
ahcw said:
Get Pratham!!! He's also known as Pat :) and he'll never let you down.
I know a few a2-mercs "in person" as well :) Razan was the merc my gf used and I always laughed when I heard her talking to him with a very angry voice. "Razan!!", "Come on!!!!", "If you die again I will beat you up!!", "He died again!!! Aaargh!! You <censored>!!!</censored>". I think Leharas is my best "friend" of all those. I try to pick him every time I'm getting a merc.

Daemonaz

Diabloii.Net Member
alainpp66 said:

Yah I agree, and I can tell you what a pain it is to level that Normal Defiance Merc. I did it with my paladin, and it was terrible.

I say go for a Defiance Merc instead of a Might Merc though. A Defiance Merc stays MUCH better alive, especially against those archers. He also boosts your armor by quite a bit, so you should be slightly saver against those attacks too. Nothing too groundbreaking however.

lord_gerbik

Diabloii.Net Member
Daemonaz said:
Yah I agree, and I can tell you what a pain it is to level that Normal Defiance Merc. I did it with my paladin, and it was terrible.
Yeah, I went ahead and hired one from Hell. He boosts my defense about 3.5 times what it normally is, and that's good enough for me. Hehe...

Thanks to alainpp66 for posting up all the merc names. You rock.

Oh, and I hired Durga.....ya know, Durga the Defiance Merc..........wheeeeeeee.