Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So I just got 400 dollars...now what kind of Ipod do I buy?.....Details inside

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by diablo loves donutz, Sep 28, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

So I just got 400 dollars...now what kind of Ipod do I buy?.....Details inside

Hey guys. Well, my mom walks up to me this morning and says, "Here". I respond with, "What?". "400 dollars".....

My mom's Uncle died a way's back (Never even knew the guy and my mom was never to close to him) and she got 4,000 dollars inheritance money. She said that she decided to give 400 to my brother and 400 to me. I knew about this money and that I would get an Ipod, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon. Well let me put forth what I want pretty much...in terms of details and such.

I think I'd prefer the bigger version of the Ipod, just for the fact that my dad suggested that the nano would be too small for me and I agree with him in that part because I'd probably lose it and I was told the bigger one can play videos. I don't think I want one with 30 Gbs of memory because I'm not a music junkie, but I'd still like to put lots of songs on it, so something in the mid-range would be nice. Other than that, I guess I'd leave up to you guys to discuss. I'm just looking for some advice on which I should get. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

The 30gig video ipod would probably suit you nicely.

3. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

i would go with 80 if you want to fit movies and stuff.

4. SuggestiveName

I mean, so would I, but he asked for middle of the road, and the 80 gig is going to burn the majority of that $400, while the 30 gig is like $250.

5. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

It really depends what you want to do with it. I really wouldn't want to watch video (hmm, maybe some 'special' video :grin:) on such a tiny screen. If I had the money, I'd get one of the 8GB Nanos. They really aren't that hard to lose, and they fit into your pocket nicely. There's also a 5GB iPod Mini, that might work for you.

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

true but there isn't any mid range now. It's either 30 or 80 gig. And he said he didn't want a nano. The 80 gig is actually $350, so he'll still have a little bit of money left in the end.

7. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

8. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

My younger brother just bought a 30gb video ipod a few weeks back.

If you go to Apple's online store and perform a search, you can find them for $200.00 even refurbished. But you have to do a search. They don't have links to them anywhere on the main page.

They come with a full warranty, so it's basically buying one brand new.

It's worth a look, at least.

edit: apple store

9. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

yea the 30 gig sounds nice, because also, I'd love a lot of money left over for itunes and maybe some other things.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Don't buy one. The last update was just a storage update, they will have something new out before xmas. Get one when the next update comes out.

11. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

the most important thing is the case, because if it falls without one = bye ipod..., also you can buy a 2 year guarantee in best buy, so even if it falls you just have to kinda put it together (if some pieces broke down which is highly unlikely because everything is nicely compated), and return to best buy they will give you a new one.

12. Veilside

Veilside IncGamers Member

Buying digital music is such a waste of music, either you buy albums on ebay or you illegally download stuff. I hate owning albums without having the case and artwork to go with it.

13. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

You can usually get the artwork digitally as well.

I don't agree with KOW's prediction. I think there will be sort sort of new model of iPod by Christmas but it won't be a full range upgrade. The current 30 gig will be around well into next year.

14. Rolland

Rolland IncGamers Member

Personally I would "never" buy an ipod or any like product that changes the song format to a proprietary version.

As in any .mp3 that you load on to your ipod becomes an "ipod version" and then can only be shared with other ipod users. Can only be transfered back and forth to computer to handheld through it's own very intrusive program.(itunes)

Have you ever tried to uninstall itunes from your computer (win) ?

I tried on 2 machines...it'll uninstall but it also removes the associated drive (cd/dvd drive) allocation?? My computer would not recognize the drive again. I uninstalled/reinstalled, took the drive completely out, tried replacing another drive...wound up wiping the hard drive and doing a fresh install of XP.

My other comp (a few weeks later) had the same issue, but had system restore activated and was able to roll back after removing itunes, to a point prior.

Short version...it was a pain in the arse ;)

Couple that with the need to change the .mp3 format, I will never again go near anything that has to do with ipods in any form.

I would advise buy this (or similar product...doesn't have to be Creative, thought they are nice)

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=9288

30% less that the ipod btw :) (for the 40gig)

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-NOMAD-Jukebox-Xtra-Player/dp/B0002AZNKA

Just give me a mp3 player that has a simple interface (drag & drop) ability to transfer/share .mp3s easly between my handheld, my computer, cds, WITHOUT changing the file allocation and installing basically a huge intrusive spyware program on my computer aka itunes lol.

That's my advice :) for what it's worth...

btw - There are plenty of ways to buy or download mp3s out there, you don't NEED itunes to get your music!

Good luck!!

15. Rolland

Rolland IncGamers Member

(double post sorry)

;)

16. SuggestiveName

That is completely false. Songs purchased from the itunes music store have drm, but ipods do not change the files you put on them.