So I hit something.....

Bune

Diabloii.Net Member
So I hit something.....

Okay so I was backing out of the narrowest driveway I have ever seen with 2 massive holes on each side so I could only go straight out (I drive a full size pick-up). Anyway, there was this car behind me which I could not see parked in the boulevard across the road.... narrow street, backing up a hill, and a tiny car make it near impossible to see this thing. I drive big trucks and trailers all the time, and this was just one of those cases where it was impossible to tell it was there.

Anyway, I didn't even know I had hit anything but I get a call from a lady saying I did this and that blah blah blah. The damage to her car is a fist sized dent below the driver side door and a broken mirror. My truck is completely clean. Now they say I've been caught on camera doing it, but they have one of those burglar cameras that is probably a piece of crap that I know couldn't catch my plate number.

So the problem lies here:
1. My truck has no damage whatsoever
2. I have an 8" trailer hitch sticking out the back of my truck, my arguement is if I hit there car there would be an 8" hole in it.
3. I am supposedly on camera

So any help with this matter guys? I'm going to the house today to disprove their theories about me hitting them (even though I probably did). The thing is it won't be the same house, so the angles of impact will be off since it will be level ground as opposed to backing up off a hill. What do you guys think?

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: So I hit something.....

I think that if you drive trucks all the time, you should know about their blind spots and check it out prior to backing into a road. And if it was you, you should probably pay what you have to.

Bune

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh I checked believe me. This car was parked in such a way that i couldn't have seen it no matter what I did, it was just in a REALLY bad spot. It's not like I was speeding out onto this hill, I was creeping so slow because of the fact I couldn't see anything.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member

You couldn't even see it when you got out of the truck to see what was behind it?

Bune

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I didn't even know I hit it. I thought I ran over a popcan. It's not like there was this loud CRUNCH or anything, there was just a *ch*. I just kept on my merry way because I had no idea. I was only going like 2mph tops, and if I did hit it it would've been just on the edge of my turning radius and it would have been really hard for me to know at that speed. If I hit it hard it would be obvious, my truck didn't even jolt though.

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member

How did the woman get your phone number?

Did you look at the video tape to see if it was indeed your truck?

If you honestly don't believe that you caused the damage then contact a lawyer. But I would be DAMN sure that they don't have a picture of you putting a dent in their car before I did.

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member

if you have an AZ license you know you have to get out and look before backing up your truck...pay for the damages.

Bune

Diabloii.Net Member

It's a pick-up. Not a tractor trailer. The car I hit is like an echo or something. It fits nicely between mirrors, I'll tell ya that much.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

If you're turning while backing out, it is conceivable that your bumper could hit the car while your hitch missed. Ah, I see you say you were going straight out. Maybe it was your hitch that did the damage. It would explain why your truck isn't showing any damage.

Bune

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I talked to them on the phone now, they seem extremely stupid. They can barely describe anything about it to me, so I'm just gonna drop by there at some point today to see if any impact points line-up. At the very worst, it's a mirror and a dent in the door from what I gather... that's like 200$ tops. More then I can afford at the moment but better then a 1000$ insurance deductible.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I talked to them on the phone now, they seem extremely stupid. They can barely describe anything about it to me,
Well they probably didn't see it happen.

But I don't think you're going to get out of it. They managed to track you down and you were the one who was there and you admitted that you probably hit something.

Bune

Diabloii.Net Member

They seem genuinely nice... I'm just gonna play stupid and give heavy emphasis on the student with no money thing, they sound old and british so they're probably rich.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

Of course you didn't notice a thing. At a speed of 2 mph you will not notice when you crush a mirror, fender or human, in particular with a truck.

Did you see the recording ? If yes, does it show your truck ?

If you think so, pay the damage. It was your fault then or at least your responsibility. I doubt that anybody is going to cheat you like that. But insist on having a look on the video. If they refuse or you find out that they are bluffing, I would regard it as an attempt to cheat and not pay a thing if she has no witnesses.

You didn't see what happened. It's quite dangerous and careless to drive to where you don't see anything. A lot of 0-3 year old children get killed that way, by their own parents. Perhaps you can weasel out of it somehow if the video quality is bad, but for me, it would be beneath my dignity to lie and cheat to save $200 or so.

It doesn't matter if the others are rich, it depends on taking responsibility for what you are doing.

Just my 2c...

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

They seem genuinely nice... I'm just gonna play stupid and give heavy emphasis on the student with no money thing, they sound old and british so they're probably rich.
Rich people don't drive Echos.

Bune

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I didn't wanna be in that driveway in the first place, I was told I had to pull all the way up into this ridiculously small driveway.... but yea I should see this video tape anyway. I guess I'll just have to see what happens when I go visit them.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I didn't even know I hit it. I thought I ran over a popcan. It's not like there was this loud CRUNCH or anything, there was just a *ch*. I just kept on my merry way because I had no idea. I was only going like 2mph tops, and if I did hit it it would've been just on the edge of my turning radius and it would have been really hard for me to know at that speed. If I hit it hard it would be obvious, my truck didn't even jolt though.

I meant before you got into the truck, you couldn't see it when you walked behind the truck to make sure the way was clear?

Magi

Diabloii.Net Member

Watch the video. If it was you, pay up. Seems like an open and shut case to me.

$200-ish bucks is a small price to pay for this life lesson.

Johnny

Banned

Considering all the excuses you are making for how hard it was to see the car then I'm pretty sure that you did infact hit it.

If you had not hit it then you would just have mentioned backing up and driving out of there with no reference to big trucks and small, hard to see cars.

If you want to do the right thing then you will pay for the damage you caused and redeem yourself. But you can allways watch the video and mayby it's so blurry that you can get out of having to pay for it. It's up to you.