Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

so...Does anyone still need a challenge?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by prion, Feb 26, 2004.

?

Should you use staves,wands,or daggers?

1. staves

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. wands

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. daggers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. prion

prion IncGamers Member

so...Does anyone still need a challenge?

For all those people who still think the gaem is too easy, i propose the following challenge: try playing as a mercenary!

You can only use skills that a mercenary uses but you can boost it with any passive or synergy skill (unlike the mercs) so that you can actually do damage and stay alive.

The a1 rogue merc can be a zon using either fire or cold arrow (+synergy) and maxed inner sight. I suppose you could even use both skills if you want..

The a2 merc is the appropriate paladin with Zeal (since he can't Jab) or a jabazon with Doom spear (can you do that?). It's tempting but you can't use charge--don't even get this side of the tree.

an a3 merc is obviously a synergized sorc. except for warmth, only one tree! oh yeah, you MUST carry a sword and sheild, and try to look like the iron wolves as much as possible.

an a5 barb uses bash and stun, of course you will probably want to beef it up with sword mastery and concentrate synergy, but remember no warcries!

hey if you really want a challenge just do exactly what the mercs do, but expect to die as often as a merc does.

2. Danembont

Danembont Banned

Geez, while you're at it, you might as well not wear ammys, rings, boots, gloves or a belt, and name yourself Orianna or Razan. Interesting variant but you should never be allowed to solo :D

3. shidenx

shidenx IncGamers Member

lol. While playing that, you should not run but walk in a random fashion.

4. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Good idea... but still not hard.

Zon could easily use Crit, Penetrate, Pierce, D/A/E according to your skills. Not too hard at all.

Pally... Just tosses his extra points in Sacrifice, zeal to hit. Holy Freeze would be the way to go to maximize synergies. No problem with PIs or CIs here. Quick Weapon is the Key.

Lightning Sorc would be respectable... Fire would take some care (As all inferno sorcs would) but with items like Hexfire, doable. Cold, as always wouldn't be horribly terrifying in damage... but good support for the group.

Barb is the hardest... Just because of the lack of BO that people are familiar with. This would just require a heavy investment in Vit.

All very possible...

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

rule: if you get stuck on a rock, you aren't allowed to move.

6. myc

myc Banned

no thanx

NT, I'm not that bored, lol

7. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Of course in typical merc fashion if your allies start yelling at you to come help them just twirl around in a circle ignoring their cries for help. That or do the other merc extreme ie. charge headlong into a pack of 234626262 fanaticism minotaurs doing 10 billion damage each.

8. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Out of curiosity, do I still get to hire a meself a merc?

9. Chaldan

Chaldan IncGamers Member

Equipment slots that a merc can't use should on your character only be used for resists, to simulate the inherent resistance that mercs have. So no +skills/leech rings/amus, no String of Ears/Razortail, IAS gloves or anything like that

10. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

sry man...but not one of teh better ideas ive heard

11. prion

prion IncGamers Member

ok, but why?

12. alainpp66

I would say.... of course. You need to protect someone.

One condition though... if you see the merc is having trouble surviving, you'll have to rush off and bring more monsters to him to finish him off.

It's not one of the best ideas, because it doesn't offer any new game play. It's a boredom build... You do it just to pass the time.

13. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Actually I think the idea is ok. The logistics still need to be worked out. At the most basic level, the build is all about taking away some skills and items in the theme of mimicking a merc. For this reason, it doesn't offer much "fun" appeal. The theme of becoming a merc just isn't upheld strong enough and I don't see a way that it can be.

For example, there was a thread (can't remember which forum) about making Thornadins. The theme has a clear focus and also outlines how to build a character different enough from conventional builds. The gear would be based on reflecting as much dmg back as possible while surving.

Anyways, for the case of your merc build, the item selection wouldn't be much different then what has already been thought of for real mercs. Essentially, you're still taking the best polearm you can find, the best armor, and the best helm. So stylistically, the gameplay won't be too different.

14. Danembont

Danembont Banned

Yeah, that's probably true, it's still more fun to work with an unused skill that's cool in its own way or just different. Or different weapons like daggers. Those are the two standard ways of creating variants, limiting skills or limiting equipment. Most probably won't get you in hell, but its fun in nightmare to see a zealing dagger, or hearing the wakes of fire flow. And it can get a lot tougher. But there are so many good possibilities there that if I was still playing this game, I don't think I would ever play this variant. But still a funny idea to throw around.

15. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Only wear a helm, an armor, an appropriate weapon (maybe a shield) and perhaps some stuff that emulates merc behaviour (e.g. resistance charms, pure mf stuff and a teleport amulet, so you can teleport to your employer if he teleports).

Solo playing is not allowed.

Don't pick up anything and throw away shared gold (keeping some money for recharging the teleport amulet should be ok, except you are a purist).

Only use those items your employer will give you.

Never surpass your master's level. Emulate this by getting killed.

Run through poison clouds, stand still in firewalls etc.

Attack the nearest monster and don't stop until it's dead (or your master is off-screen - see below), no matter how stupid that might be.

Run to your employer if you can't see him anymore, no matter if he likes it or not - you will bring a couple of monsters with you, of course.

Don't retreat for any reason as long as you can see your employer.

Only drink potions when your employer tells you to do.

Don't stop melee when the oblivion knights cast iron maiden on you.

If your employer wants to do the moat trick with meph, run around near the moat to trigger Meph's killer balls, lightning bolts and ice storms, but do it in a way that your employer will get hit.

If your employer wants to kill you off (because he wants to do meph runs for example - see above), get yourself killed.

If you reach 1 life because of poison, get yourself killed.

Find a way to become immune to the exploders and the stygian doll death explosion... and send me a pm as soon you found it out !!!

16. alainpp66

As the Zon char, you could cast a Decoy in front of them to recreate it... Or use a Valk on the Stygian dolls for the last few shots and pretend the owner didn't notice the Glow.

17. Gyro

Gyro IncGamers Member

I am soooo laughing out loud as I'm reading this--hysterically! It's embarrassing. Stop it, please--my coworkers are wondering what's so damn funny!!! :lol:

18. Gyro

Gyro IncGamers Member

Rule: You cannot retrieve your body until someone in your party donates 50k to a vendor. :teeth: