Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So confused ... need help understanding IAS

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Highly_Illogical, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Highly_Illogical

Highly_Illogical IncGamers Member

So confused ... need help understanding IAS

Sorry about posting about an issue that seems to never go away but I'm still having trouble understanding ias and break points, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The following charts were posted in another thread:

Strafe breakpoints for bows
    -10 WSM Bow
    0% IAS 13/3
    2% IAS 12/3
    13% IAS 11/3
    15% IAS 10/3
    37% IAS 9/3
    60% IAS 9/2
    80% IAS 8/2

0 WSM Bow
    0% IAS 13/3
    13% IAS 12/3
    26% IAS 11/3
    29% IAS 10/3
    56% IAS 9/3
    86% IAS 9/2
    113% IAS 8/2

5 WSM Bow
    0% IAS 14/4
    6% IAS 13/3
    19% IAS 12/3
    34% IAS 11/3
    37% IAS 10/3
    68% IAS 9/3
    102% IAS 9/2
    133% IAS 8/2

10 WSM Bow
    0% IAS 15/4
    3% IAS 14/4
    11% IAS 13/3
    26% IAS 12/3
    42% IAS 11/3
    46% IAS 10/3
    80% IAS 9/3
    120% IAS 9/2
    157% IAS 8/2

I have a lv 86 zon on hcl east, basically a stafer. The two bows i use are a an upped WWS (169% w/shael,nef) and a harmony GMB (+3 to bow skills). I dont have the runes for any of the other recipes the only other possible option would be an upped buriza.

Okay as I understand it the WWS has base of (0) and GMB is (10), so according to the chart to reach 9/3 ias i would have to add 56% ias from gear for the WWS and 80% ias for the GMB.
    Confusion point #1 - does this mean that to reach the same breakpoint u have to add more ias from gear for the bow with the faster starting point?

I primarily use my zon for clearing hell CS and pit runs.
    Confusion point #2 - contrary to what I have been reading the harmony GMB seems much more effective than the WWS, by double shaeling the WWS I could easily get to 9/2 86%ias and possible even the 8/2 113% ias, would this be worth doing?

Thanx in advance for the help...

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Getting to 9/2 is definitely worth it and very sweet...getting to 8/2 is not so important, if you can easily get the extra IAS go for it...otherwise it won't make much of a difference. The first number is, the amount of frames your initial attack will take (9 or 8) the second number is the amount of frames your subsequent attacks will take (2)..When you are strafing you will have many more "secondary" attacks than "primary", that's why getting to 8 frames isn't so important.

4. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

ok i don't want to complicate things for Highly_Illogical any more than they already are i just want to clarify your description of strafe speeds....there have been some changes in the understanding of the attack sequence....i have dug up the following from my notes.....the second number means the same thing as before: the number of frames needed to shoot every arrow that comes after the first arrow.....the first number means something slightly different now. It is actually the number of frames needed to shoot the first arrow + the number of frames needed to finish up the strafe animation. Because of how the animation process works, this is not the same as the number of frames needed to do a normal attack....for example a 10 arrow attack sequence 8/2...could look like this...4/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2 and then 4 extra frames to complete the animation.....so 8/2 could be shown as 4/2/4 or even 4/2/6...confused yet?

5. Geonis

Geonis IncGamers Member

ok.... apparently i'm more confused about the whole IAS / breakpoints concept than Highly_Illogical... are there some useful threads that clearly explains the whole idea to some novices like me?

6. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

It's very simple...you find out the base speed of your bow...this can be done at the Arreat Summit...

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/bows.shtml

and here for Amazon only bows...

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/amazonweapons.shtml

Just look in the last column "speed for" and check out the number...that number is your bows base weapon speed.

When you've found the base weapon speed consult the chart at the top of this thread and find the appropriate place...If your bow is a -10 Base weapon speed bow then you'll need 60% IAS to reach 9/2, this means all sorts of IAS, both on jewels, runes, gloves, armors, etc....If you get 60% IAS you will fire at 9/2. If you want to know what 9/2 means then check superdaves post... It's really not difficult at all..

By the way...this game runs at 25 frames per second...which means that a 5 frame attack will attack 5 times per second...so the 9/2 attack is very very fast:)

7. Highly_Illogical

Highly_Illogical IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies. So basically a bow with (-10) would be the fastest base starting point.

One last point I'd like to mention about the harmony bow, its actually a "crazy" fun bow to play with, although hellishly expensive to repair, somewhere around $300,000 each time (lol i dont get to gamble anymore all my funds go to feeding my zon's bad habits). With the +3 bowskills, +mods to valk, vigor and revives, its pretty easy to solo pit and cs (i bring mf barb to kill diablo).

I am going to try double shaeling the WWS, its too bad the revives disappear on a weapon switch, it would sure be great if you could bring the revives into play and then switch to the faster more powerful WWS.