Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So close to rich . . . Yet so far.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by gorey, Apr 27, 2005.

1. gorey

gorey IncGamers Member

So close to rich . . . Yet so far.

So I have been playing this great game for about 1.5 months and am enjoying it very much. I have been saving my runes (yes, even "El"s. kinda like picking up a penny) and my p-gems and have gotten a few good items. This forum has been very helpful in the process and I thank those that contribute. It helped me to build my first Hell strong player: the reliable Hammerdine.

Anyway. Today I was clearing out the Pits in Hell with said Hammerdine when my eyes fall upon the coveted unique Diadem. I pick it up and identify it quickly, double and triple checking the price guide and battlenet for stats, and then shout loud enough to wake my neighbors. It had +20 to lightning damage and -14 to enemy resistances. As I dreamed about what I was going to do with this item (free enigmas all around) my game dissapeared before my very eyes and I was again in the lobby/chat area. I created a new game and low and behold my item and new found fortune were gone.

Now it is very hard to not take this personally, so could anyone tell me what happened? Did I do something wrong or did I upset the immortal B-net with my first significant find? Any help explaining this would be much appreciated?

2. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

Nah, you didn't do anything to upset B.net, they just like making honest players angry and frusterated.

3. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

just a random lag spike. o_o sorry for your loss though .. that wouldve sold for tons. damuzz

4. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Dang, that's a tough one to take, hope you find something equally valuable soon.

Your best thing to do if you find something awesome is to quit right away the server saves your character. Admire it and show your friends in a new game (or even come back to the same game).

5. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

Dude...You messed up Bad! I bet you haven't made obeisence the the pagan gods of Bnet for a very long time, if ever.

This is what you do....

1> Stand out front in your yard with a sword (no sword? use a bunch of toilet paper tubes taped together with Duct tape) and do barb shouts while wearing only your BVDs.

2> When the cops come, run as fast as you can yelling, "you can't catch me, I have 3% faster run/walk charms, neener neener neener!!"

3> When they Do catch you, and they will, and toss you chubis {Better word for (deleted by poster)} in jail, tell your prison mate, "Don't worry, I have Map hack and I will get us out of here"

4> When they haul your >chubis< before the judge, wave your toilet paper tube sword at him and say, "my friends have escaped chew"

5> After a long time (a lot like the time it takes to level from 95 to 96 doing Baal runs) they will let you out of the "funny farm"

6> Now you can play the game without fear of lag loss unless, of course you offend the gods.....

This post paid for by...Pagan Gods R Us . com

6. gorey

gorey IncGamers Member

oh man cooked. After reading that i feel as good as new.

thanks for the pep talk fella. see you on realm.

*captainsham
    from "series of unfortunate events" not a personal char trait

7. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

OH MAN!!! i was so happy for you... LMAO!! terrible ending to that story tho :(

8. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

Just a random hint: If you find something really valuable, go immediately to your stash and open it. Your char will be saved, and the item, too. Or, even better, just esc-exit the game. This is the only way to be sure the item remains...

*stkrause

9. plant

plant IncGamers Member

Even then... a month ago I identify waterwalks with perfect life and want to hit the escape button... must've been half a second too late :D

Ah well it happens... something to do with the laws of improbability I guess...

Plant

10. stkrause

So to be sure you should esc-exit before ID'ing the item then :D

*stkrause

11. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

I bet that`s what makes an unided unique sacred become a templars instead of a tyreals..

12. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Son of a...!!!

I remember doing a Pindle run in the beta patch a little more than a year ago and I came across Doombringer. As I went to pick it up, I suddenly found myself unable to move. Now, I was a dual-wielding barb and there was a known glitch that was unknown to me that sometimes immobilizes you and I didn't realize that all I had to do was perform a weapons switch to unfreeze myself...instead of doing this, I kicked out of the game and lost my chance at an uber item (on my next Pindle run though, I was fortunate enough to gleam a Bloodletter gladius with +3 to both WW and sword mastery so all was not lost but boy, did I miss out on something special!)

13. stkrause

The item properties are determined before the items are identified. So (as opposed to diablo 1) save-exit will not change anything. So if you find only templars that is called "bad luck". But then again, i never even find templars ;)

*stkrause

14. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

Whenever i find such a good item, i exit the game inmediatly, its a good thing to do :).

15. Cerberus

Cerberus IncGamers Member

I know, but i bet the Bnet gods have some twisted way of changing them into templars anyway..

16. Wmeredith

Wmeredith IncGamers Member

I am also a fan of "Tale the money and run." If I have a nice goldie drop, I'm out. Had a Gul drop in the pit once and got rolled back. Won't let something like that happen again.