Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So can genetics be linked to cigarette smoking and addiction? der=

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by diablo loves donutz, Oct 1, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

So can genetics be linked to cigarette smoking and addiction?

Hi guys. Before any one jumps to conclusions, let me explain my point more vividly. My mom smokes. Well actually, my whole family and I smoke, but it's a little complicated. My mom and my brother are the type of people who can't go 5 minutes without a cig and would get all grumpy/aggressive without one. It appears as though they have an "addiction". Now my dad and I, we smoke, but usually it's only when were with friends or while were drinking (By the way, don't think of it as though I'm drinking and smoking with my dad, I just mean when ever either of us do that stuff we smoke). Here's an example. I'll be walking around the house, and a majority of the time I see my mom smoking and my bro, before he headed off to college but still keeps the routine up, smoking as well. My dad and I on the other hand never really bother with it. If I'm ever around friends or drinking, I'll smoke, but never usually any time else. I'm pretty sure the same goes for my dad.

So do you guys think there is some sort of connection or genetic answer to why my brother and my mom have the addiction, but my dad and I do not?

And if any smokers here wish to give their feedback on the matter, I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S-OT, but still in the general realm, what do you smokers smoke?
    Camels-turkish jades here:azn:

2. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Alcoholism has genetic links, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are links between smokers and genetics too. I've also heard tell about people having "addictive personalities."

However, anyone who blames thier addiction on genetics and says they can't stop because of it, is a weak minded fool who is only making excuses for his/her habit.

3. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Clearly you have never tried to overcome an addiction. Calling addicts "weak minded fools" is completely asinine.

Maybe the decisions they made to become addicted were stupid, but once you are in that hole, it takes an incredible amount of dedication, effort and courage to escape.

4. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Genetics are only linked to addiction in terms of predispositions. Your genes do not determine your choices.

You should stop smoking. It will kill you.

5. Stompwampa

You misunderstood me. I know that kicking an addiction can be hard as hell.
    I'm saying that anyone who blames thier addiction on genetics, and therefore says they are incapable of quitting, is a weakminded fool.
    Anybody can quit if they really want to, regardless of thier situation.

6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

i think your surroundings or environment would have a greater effect then genetics

7. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Sorry, I'm a little trigger happy from all the people over the years posting that anyone who smoked or drank is a weak minded fool.

8. Stompwampa

LoL. That's cool. I know the feelings ;-)

9. diablo loves donutz

Uhh...I was kind of asking the question of why some people are addicted to smoking, while others are casual and can go with out one with no problems at all. Things have started to...break out...as you say.

And while altough I appreciate your concern bg, and seriously I'm not trying to make a comeback or backtalk you in any way, but I'm not a chronic smoker and I know that they will kill you...I didn't read your post and say, "No way!" I'm sorry I sort of had to laugh at myself there lol. It's just a choice I've made. I neither regret it nor embrace it, but moderation never hurt anyone. But again, I see your logic, it's just I really get annoyed by people who act like evangelicals when it comes to anti smoking(Trust me you did not come off as one there, I'm just making a point). I just don't like that people give them so much smack, the smokers quit or act nice or simply don't reply, yet they still get smack from people.

But yea guys, If we can kind of get back to my main question instead of moving OT, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit:Thought I might add this btw. You see...my mom might get really cranky without a cigarette and I can tell who those people are that really "need" one, but I don't have that feeling and neither does my dad. I never feel as though I have a need for one and I was just wondering why that is. I thought anyone who smokes becomes addicted...

10. Stompwampa

I think that gets into people with addictive personalities. Also, it has a lot to do with thier reasons for smoking. For some people, they smoke because makes them think that it's a stress reliever, or because they enjoy the buzz it offers. Other people are "social smoker" per say, who only smoke when they drink, or when they are with other friends who are smoking.
    I'm sure it also has a lot to do with your body chemistry. Some don't get the cravings like other people do. Or perhaps it all just boils down to self-control. Who knows.

I've also always gotten a kick out of people who smoke cigarrette's to calm down. When in reality, nicotine raises blood pressure, increases heart rate, speeds up the metabolism...nicotine is an upper, not a downer. Yet, for some reason, it tricks people into thinking that they're calming down. I don't get it.

11. diablo loves donutz

Well I agree with you in the sense that a lot of it has to deal with your mind, but that does calm people, even if it is tricking your mind. After some heavy stuff goes down, people just feel as though they need to calm down, and sometimes it can help. Lol, I'm not saying when ever you get pissed to light up, I'm just saying, if it tricks your mind, then it's still "effective" in some sense.

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I highly doubt it. Running in families =/= genetic. Political persuasion runs in families, so is there a Republican gene?

*Cue natural selection jokes*

That has been disproved along with the gay gene, it was garbage science (by disproved of course I mean that the study that claimed to have proven that was disproved, obviously you can't prove a negative).

13. Stompwampa

I know the gay gene has been disproven, but alcholism is a disease...so I could definatley see how it could be tied to genetics. Not that there's an "acholic" gene, but more so a genetic tendency or predisposition towards having a higher likelyhood of becoming and acloholic. Not that it means you're going to become one...just that your chances are higher given family history, which, by definition, would be based on genetics.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

The alcoholic gene research was based on the same method as the gay gene thing, I remember reading about it for a project in undergrad. The results couldn't be duplicated or something.

As I understand it alcoholism is more behavioural than chemical. It is possible that some people's body chemistry makes them more susceptible to becoming addicted to alcoholism (I'd want to see proof though) but I'm pretty sure that the reason it runs in families is because it's a learned pattern of behaviour. Nurture rather than nature.

15. Stompwampa

Yea, I've heard that argument too, and I hold to both beliefs myself. Being that alcoholism is a disease, just as cancer, I would find it reasonable that there could be genetic links between family alcoholism, just as there is with most cancers.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

If one is willing to use the word "disease" to refer to it (which I think is a terribly misleading thing to do), it is certainly not a disease like cancer.

17. Stompwampa

I've always heard that alcoholism is a disease. I've heard this from doctors and psychologists alike...which would lead me to believe that there is pertinant reasoning behind the claim.
    But yes, cancer and alcoholism are not even close to the same thing.
    I only used the comparison in reference to the possible genetic connection of alcoholism, as there is with cancer.

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Alcoholism is the only disease you can get yelled at for having. Dammit Otto you have Lupus! Dammit Otto you're an alcoholic! One of these does not sound right.

-Mitch

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You shouldn't believe everything you hear, even from doctors and psychologists. Not the ones who make the news for sure.

20. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Words to live by. Next thing you know there will be a violence gene, and it will become a "disease" too.

"It's not my fault I'm an abusive husband! I've got a condition!"