Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So Boring here with usual threads...Lets make a new thread about jet fighters!!! :D

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Flanker, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Flanker

Flanker IncGamers Member

So Boring here with usual threads...Lets make a new thread about jet fighters!!! :D

well i basicly saw thread in OTF about every issue in the world.. from AIDS to technology...

but i have never seen any threads about aviation!

i am a huge fan of jet fighters and air forces.

I know there is Sergant guy (not sure about his exact name) and probably some other people who would like to contribute to this thread:)

i will start by posting a link to pic of russia's 5th generation fighter SU-47 Berkut

you people can post anything that relates to modern war aviation..like pics...news articles..interseting stuff..etc

[​IMG]

and SU-37 Super Flanker (those my name..Flanker:D)

[​IMG]

2. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I think you might want to get giantpinkbunnyhead in here. He´s a pilot and an aviation nut, naturally.

The wings on that first plane points in the wrong direction... sorry to break it to you but that will never fly looking like that. I suggest you build a new one, and get the wings on properly this time.

3. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Man, they're publishing pictures of their new fighters now? How's James Bond gonna make his living?

4. Flanker

Flanker IncGamers Member

Hey! lol they aren't in the wrong direction...they are supposed to be like that:)

It's called FWS (forward swept wings) and it helps you to generate more lift (better handling and better maneurability)than "normal looking" wings.

And the first pic you see... it's not a toy as you think it's a real airplane...

Yeah I know those wings seem weird but..it's technology!!:D

EDIT: Yes.. lol they do publish BUT that plane is already in pre production stage...so there is nothing to hide. It was all secret when they were developing that stuff

5. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

No it´s not. I´m telling you... that thing can´t fly. ;)

6. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

2 part answer

To Steve_Kow: Same way as before-JB moonlights as a gigolo.

To Flanker: Most of today's fighter aircraft are not good for the old-fashioned WWI and WWII dogfights. They're great for carrying missile payloads and some of them, like the F16 and F/A 18, can still hold their own in a dogfight. For my money, the old A10 Thunderbolt with its tank-busting rounds takes the dogfight cake. For "flyability", the Harrier and the F22 Raptor spring to mind along with the old MiG Foxbat series.

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Dross was being either 1) sarcastic; 2) loaded (Skal!); 3) Swedish -which is a combo platter - a Smorgasbord if you will.

Planes are cool. They rain fire on Charlie <-- see? I can be, um, whatever.

8. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

Psssh, My P-51 Mustang D will own any new fighter.

Dj_Otaku

9. Flanker

Flanker IncGamers Member

Necro: true that.. dogfighting these years is nothing but BVR (beyong visual range) missles. There is no more of that close battle like in Battle on Britan where u can actually see the pilots in the enemy aircraft.

But modern jets are very manuverable (sp?) and in case of dogfight...they would need great dodging and attacking skills since there is a lot of technology to counter attack missles or to jam them.

10. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

The first forward swept wings used on a production aircraft was some German bomber in WW2. Can't remember what it was called and I doubt anyone cares.

The US toyed with forward swept wings as well with the X-29. For the most part, forward swept and regular (barkwards) swept wings work in the same way to reduce drag but it gets tricky at the wing tips with FWS. Apparently, disturbances there caused more stress on the wing so forwards swept wings couldn't fly too fast until carbon composite material were invented.

I don't know much about the Su-37 but are those tail elevators as well as canards that I see? I guess it might need both since the canards are placed very close to the wings. (then again, the Su-35 has the same things so I'm not surprised) In fact, the Su-37 looks a lot like the Su-35, which is essentially an Su-27, which looks like a big MiG-29.

Random comment: Russian planes like to crash at airshows.

edit:
    Technically, dogfighting is using your guns. Even though most combat is now done BVR, they still outfit the latest fighters with a gun. And who knows, with all the stealthy stuff, you might need guns.

11. Flanker

Flanker IncGamers Member

Wuhan: X-29 was pretty much the same as SU-47 except it only had 1 engine and was less successful. Its production was canceled in early years even before it was produced. I guess USAF needed cheaper/effective/more payload palnes or bombers than X-29.

Comment: Yes...indeed they do tend to fall at airshows:(

The wing panels of the Su-47 are constructed of nearly 90% composites. The forward-swept midwing has a high aspect ratio, which contributes to long-range performance.

Yes those are canards and tail elevators although they seem to be hidden in the back

12. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

What strikes me about the Su-37 is the "cobra like" hood that extends from behind the cockpit and blends into the fuselage. It's the same thing on the F/A-18 except the Hornet's cockpit sits higher then the rest of the fuselage, creating a thick fin that runs down the back. The hood on the Russian jet makes it look the front of the plane look rather ugly, even if does look very futuristic.

13. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

the x-29 was a concept tester not ever intended for production, hence the designation x (ie experimental). The Junkers forward swept wing bomber didnt make it past the prototype phase. in fact the first prototype of it was built out of a heinkel he-177 body with foreward swept wings added and undercariage recovered from a b-24 from what ive read.

composites are used on foireward swept wings due to the fact that they are extemely strong but also lightweight. The problem on the german version was that the stresses on the wings had to be countered by reinforcing them, and there wer no composites back then, thus they had to use metal, thus the plane got heavier. Now with the composites designers dont have to worry as much.

Oh and on a completely different topic, anyone ever hear what the f-103 was planned to have (they never build an f-103, but they had come up with some wild ideas). Apparently the f-103 was supposed to be a mach 3 interceptor. It was planned to have an engine that could shut down its compressor fans and duct air straight to the afterburner, thus creating a ramjet. The plan was to get up to speed, then have the engine convert to ramjet, then rocket to mach 3! unfortunately they also planned to have the pilot fly it via periscope...