Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

So about ten minutes ago my step-brother ran away from home

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onionfarm, May 2, 2005.

1. onionfarm

onionfarm IncGamers Member

So about ten minutes ago my step-brother ran away from home

Here's the whole story:

My step-bro and I are the same age, 16. Our parents married when we were both in fourth grade. We were real buddy-buddy in the elementary school years, but at that age you'll be friends with anyone. As we both came into middleschool he got a bit more distant and got to be more of a dick. I remember that he used to steal my legos and put them in his lego box. It was fine with me if he wanted to play with them but he would get mad when I wanted to play with them too... even though they were mine.

Another time it was his birthday and I got him a 20 dollar ps1 game. It was some bike-stunt game similar tony hawk except it was with a bicycle of course. Pretty much right after I gave it to him he asked how much it cost. I told him and he told me he planned to sell it at one of those used videogame stores. It sat on his desk for months and one day I decided I wanted to see if it was any good. I took it, opened it, and played for about an hour, then put it back where I found it. Later, he asked me if I had taken it, and I told him no because I was scared. So anyway, that night I came home and he was checking my memory card for data. He had found the game data and accused me. He then demanded that I give him the 20 dollars he "deserved." I told him no, and that he could play with the game as much as he wanted. My dad intervened and I wound up giving him the money because I feared he would get violent.

There are many more incidents like these and they progressed as we got older. When we were young and one of us would have friends over we would all play together, but when we reached middleschool/highschool he started not letting his friends talk to me. He never said so but he thought of me as a "dork." One of his friends even told me that he was telling people at school (he went to a private school, I went to public) that I was mentally retarded. When I had friends over they would say hi to him or ask what game he was playing or other such things and he would just generally be a dick to them.

Well, to this weekend now: I was at a friends house Friday night so I don't know if anything took place then. Last night I went to bed early (like 10:15) because I was dead tired from staying up the whole night before. I was woken up about 10:40 by an argument between my stepmom and my stepbrother. I couldn't understand half of it because they were screaming in chinese, but my stepmom kept yelling, "You have my cellphone! Give it to me!" Then my stepbrother would screech something like, "Is it in my hands?!? NO! I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS!" He kept calling her stupid and started cursing her out. He was also making fun of her English skills (sometimes she puts an -ing where it doesn't belong) and was just in general being a big asshole. This whole thing was right outside my room and I was tired. They were yelling pretty much as loud as they could and I was surprised that the neighbors didn't call.

Today: My dad, stepmom, and I went to slate run park and had a good time. They have a historical farm that's pretty cool and everything is just like it was in the 1880's. My stepbrother didn't come because he was still in bed when we left. We got back at about three and I didn't see my stepbrother for pretty much the rest of the afternoon (this is normal, he spends all his time in his room). About as hour ago I went down to watch the new episode of American Dad in the basement. Halfway through I heard another argument above me in the livingroom. My stepmom was screaming, "It's my car! I'll call the cops!" My stepbrother yelled back, "Don't touch me! Go ahead and ****ing call the cops!" I was confused as I sat in the basement. He has his own car and shouldn't need my stepmom's car. Anyway, I heard the garage open and then the yelling stopped. I've long ago given up on my stepbrother as you may have guessed and I only went upstairs at the commercial. My stepmom was on the phone talking to her ex-husband about my stepbrother. She said something like, "I don't know what to do with him. I can't control him blah blah blah..." I peed and went back downstairs to watch the rest of American Dad. When I came up there was a policeman at the door talking to my dad and stepmom. He was saying, "We'll pick him up at school tomorrow or we'll catch him just driving around tonight. We have a procedure just for cases like these." I went upstairs and started writing this whole thing. I guess I just needed to rant because I've never really complained about my stepbro to anyone. He's really just the biggest asshole I know. Thanks for reading.

P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if the letters "Q" and "R' were missing.

P.P.S. I think this might be the largest post I've ever written.

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Ah wacky teenage drama.

3. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Wow. Sorry to hear about the troubles in your home. I don't have any advice to offer, but I hope it all works out. Sometimes it helps just for you to vent and let it all out like you did.

4. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Well it sounds like your step-bro is on the fast track to nowhere. There's not much you can do in this situation, so just let your parents handle it. Be glad that you're not a screwup like him.

5. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

okay im starting to dislike this kid. =o

let us know how things turn out.

6. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

Not trying to play Doctor here, but he sounds like he has a case of Aspergers, a form of Autism.
    I am to lazy to look it up, but if you're interested then you should.

7. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Sounds like he needs a good beating. But there are usually two sides of a story, so pardon my skepticism for now.

Just to lighten the tone, (the threads here seem to be more empty than they used to), shouldn't the threat title be, "So about then minutes ago my step-brother drove away from home"? :p

8. mexicanoloco

mexicanoloco IncGamers Member

hmm...thats why sometimes im happy that my brother lives in riverside :)

9. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Sounds to me like you really need to quit being such a huge jerk to your step-brother. It's not his fault your parents broke up.

10. Eff

Eff Banned

ah, and it is his fault that he's an asshole

11. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I would actually say that his stepbrother is the one being a jerk. Even Onion's friends try to be nice to him, and he just shuts himself out like a little brat.
    Beatings aplenty when he gets home.

12. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

well to be honest we're only getting one side of the story. I'm not trying to discredit you onion, i'm just saying that there are two sides to every story. Maybe in your step brother's mind you are all th crazy ones. I know thats how i see things.

13. Eff

Eff Banned

eh, that's very true

14. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

the poor bastard

15. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I got to the part about you paying him to use the gift you bought him and you "fearing violence"

when i decided to tell you to stick up for yourself.

16. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

If you are always afraid of him, and do nothing about his behavior, then he is going to keep doing it, knowing that you are not gonna stop him in fear of him. Next time step it up, if he does something, punch him in the face, make him bleed a little, that'll teach him never to mess around anymore.

17. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Psychologist for a day

This case sounds more like Conduct Disorder to me than it does Asperger's (and this case doesn't really fit into the Conduct Disorder criteria either).

Some people deal with life by becoming jerks because this way, they don't have to be responsible for anyone or anything, people don't expect anything from them, and they don't have to worry about being hurt by someone in the future because by virtue of acting like a jerk, no one will like them enough to get close enough to them to hurt them.

I was like that as a youth but I changed (granted, I never ran away from home or had any troubles with the law, but otherwise I was a jerk). You may have to give him both time and space for him to come to grips with the fact that this behavior is both self-destructive and unacceptable.

18. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Nor is it onionfarm's. He's just another kid trying to cope with the garbage his parents are dragging into his life. Nor is it his responsibility to try to mend things over with his step-brother if he's fearful of the reaction.

What you have here is typical backfire from a pair of failed marriages, another presently-failing marriage, a mixed sibling base, and parents too involved in their own personal troubles to tend to their real, primary duty, which is raising their children. The parents aren't blind to their kids' problems, they are just ignoring them. Now both he and his stepbrother are becoming victims.

19. onionfarm

onionfarm IncGamers Member

Here's an update:

So yesterday he still wasn't back, but he did show up at school. My family has pretty much ignored him. Today I heard that he showed up at his dad's house and now he's going to live there for a while.

I also found out what the whole argument was about. On Saturday night he had thrown her phone and broken it for some reason or another. My stepmom couldn't find it and that's what that was about. On Sunday when we left he had gone somewhere in his car (which he's not allowed to do unless he asks first, except for school and such). They got in an argument again and my stepmom wanted to take his keys away (he's had the car for about a month). I am told that it got pretty close to violence, but then my dad stepped in. At this point he left (in his own car, I think I might have gotten the words mixed up from being in the basement).

That's all so far. And to those that told me I should have beat him up, it's not that I'm actually physically scared of him, it's that I just don't want to ever have to hit someone.

20. Fallen Creation

Fallen Creation IncGamers Member

Beating him up would only make the situation worse. I think you're handling it the right way. :thumbsup: