Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Snatched an Arkaine's Valor today!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Eric1285, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Eric1285

Eric1285 IncGamers Member

Snatched an Arkaine's Valor today!

So I was playing in some pubby game for Baal runs in Hell...and we're up to the Minions of Destruction. Me and some other Paladin are tanking Lister, and the rest of the party is taking care of the rest of the group. I back off for a second to down a pot, and just as I'm about to run back over to help, the pally finishes off Lister and I see a unique Balrog skin! I managed to grab it, and ID it....+2 skills, 15 damage reduced, but only 168% ED...still above average. I was so psyched...but I also felt really bad for the pally from whom I grabbed it. Still..pubby games...things happen. After not playing Diablo for 2 years, I felt like this was a nice welcome back present.

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Not bad at all, first few days of my 1.10 I found gris shield, valor, and some other elites, haven't found anything else since :cheesy:

3. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

You shouldn't haved jacked the guys item, and you shouldn't come here to brag about it.

4. ghoppe

ghoppe IncGamers Member

fenris, hmm... do you really think that it is robbing on public if you are just faster? nah, i dont think that its robbing.. :p

5. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Robbing on public is a rool. A very bad one. It is just this common custom to be a greedy psycho which makes public games so unpleasant. I agree with ƒenris: Eric´s try to boast of his theft here is a plaintive missunderstanding

6. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

i think..there are two scenarios to this 'robbing' thing...

scenario 1. if the paladin is the only fella bashing the hell out of lister while the rest sit back and watch, and at the first sight of a good item dropping u run in to snatch it.

scenario 2. everyone is doing their part to kill some silly monster. silly monster dies dropping some nice stuff. u as the fastest fella run in and grab it.

for me..i think in scenario 1, it would not be a v nice thing to do :scratch: ..its equivalent to someone stealing the rewards of ur labor..but if its 2..i guess its FFA and he who is fastest will get it..just my 2 cents worth :buddies:

7. Cujo

Cujo IncGamers Member

Agreed ;) if the orig poster took part in the killing, and just backed off to drink a pot, for then to return to help killing, then id say the item that dropped is just as much hes as the pala's..

8. Eric1285

Hey, I know it wasn't the best thing to do...felt pretty bad for the other pally, but I could see he was already wearing enigma, and obviously had Botd too (all the poisen novas flying out of him). The two of us had been going at Lister for a while, and I had to back off for just a second because I had gotten hit pretty hard and needed time for the pots to kick in before I could fight again. In the 2 seconds I stepped away, Lister died. So of course I went to grab the drop, since I was killing him too. Not like I stood to the side and waited for him to die.

9. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

Grats on the valor! Grabbing it is not as satisfying as seeing one drop in a private gabe, but in a public game I guess its first come first served.

-Backdoor Bandit

10. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Now you're making excuses.
    Killing blow gets drops, I would want the same respect given to me and I'm sure you would too.

11. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

It's a public game...

whoever has the quickest click gets the item!

(I have very fast click... and very bad aim, so I keep getting the SURROUNDING gold and blue items, haha!)

Now, I agree that if the guy has just been hanging back all this time and ran in just for the items, that would not be fair. But if he was doing his share of the killing, then he deserves for a chance for the grab too. If it was only the killing blow that gets the items, then sorcs would either be the richest people in the realms, or not bothering to play cuz the melee guys keep getting the final blow.

Of course, those who uses PickIt and stuff like that are not being fair. That's why I only MF in my own little games.

12. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

i think the topic shd be Picked up a arkraine's valor today instead of snatched :lol: if its scenario 2 and i'm sure all of us would agree, u have every right to pick it up :thumbsup:

but i hav to disagree with the last post..i dun think cos he has egnima and Botd gives him any less right to the armor though.. :scratch:

13. Eric1285

Making excuses? I'm telling you exactly what happened.

14. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

I think that if you had both been going at him, and you were going back and you just picked it up, it's pretty much all good.

15. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

I'm saying, you go 'okay I know it was a wrong thing to do, but it was cuz xxxx' trying to excuse yourself.
    BTW, think of it from his side guys, you're standing there killing a monster the whole time, and a Zod drops, and someone who got a couple hits in grabs it, wouldn't YOU be mad?

16. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

I think this discussion is important one because it is about attitudes to other people = ethics.
    Erics´post (as well the title as the story) proves how confused Diablo community is in matters of ethics and etiquette.

Eric´s text leavs no doubts about whos kill it was. To "snatch" (=steal in this context) is seen as something to be proud of. This attitude along with almost obligatory churlishness is typical for BN now.

Ironicaly, game´s story is something about battle between good and evil. We - players - are supposed to be good guys... Do anybody remember end of original Diablo? Ya, it was a sadly one - victorious hero got possesed and corrupted by Diablo...

17. xlodtraderx

xlodtraderx IncGamers Member

Its as simple as this...In the real world, you can stand by your morals and die by it, or you can live life as its meant to be (an unfair place) and rule on it. He could've sat by and stuck with his morals, let the item go to the other person...but then again, if a nice item dropped for you, and you wernt rich, i'd think you'd do the same thing.

BUT the other point of view here is that he should've stuck by his morals because after all its just a game and morlas/karma would benifit you as a person better than an item in a game (i THINK that what hes trying to say). Anyways...the point is both fenris and the poster have 2 very strong and valid points. The only argument here is....if there is a wrong and a right. For this situation...there isnt. Some people in this world choose to live by their morals and rather die by it (lol example would be startrek voyager, sticking by starfleet rules even if they have to die by it...yea i know i sound like a nerd). Some will do anything to get to the top. I guess the original poster is someone who will do anything to get ontop (or whatever means neccesary) and follows HIS understanding that life isnt all fair, if somethings given to you, take it. NO ONE IS WRONG, NO ONE IS RIGHT, THIS DISCUSSION SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN PLACE.

***ALso....to the original poster...fenris is right, you shouldn't have made a post about how you took another players items...there is no point to it except bragging. If you did "snatch" the item (not saying thats wrong), you should've left that part out and just said "today i found a valour off baal."

18. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

See, this whole discussion is why, on the rare occasion that I do join pubby games for experience or whatnot, I don't even hit the 'alt' key, The way I look at is this, in private games, I MF, the items are my reward, in public games I'm there for experience, the xp is my reward, I don't even torment myself by pressing 'alt' and seeing what I'm missing. I just kill, rack up the xp, and let the other vultures fight over the items.

19. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

The rudeness of some B.Netters never fails to amaze me. I was rushing some dude I'd never met before, just to break up the monotony of Pit runs. I get him all the way through Normal and Nightmare, and a unique jav drops. I pick it up out of curiosity, and the dude freaks. "I get all the drops! You can get the gold!" Nevermind that I'd just paved the way for his scrawny butt and given him Silks and Magewrath to help him get started. He ended by instructing me to find Bartuc's and Nat's for him, and to meet him back in 24 hours. Strangely enough, it didn't happen. . .

Noodle

20. Eric1285

Hrm, so I guess we decided that the item belongs to the guy who delivers the killing blow...regardless of if anyone else helped him out or not. I suppose I can see where that's coming from.