Smiters only pvp?

SwampBox

Diabloii.Net Member
Smiters only pvp?

why are smitadins only pvp because i have a smiter on classical that i use for pvm and im lvling it high. It can kill any monster except during CS runs iron maiden would kill him. I maxed holy shield and defiance so my defense is incredible.
my skills are
20 smite
20 fanatiscm
20 holy shield
20 defiance
5 Preskills

I only needed to put in 65 strength for what I needed to wear and i put nothing into energy or dexterity. Then obviously i am putting everything into vitality to keep him alive since im on hardcore. the char actually works well not just dueling

so are smiters aren't just for pvp right?

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
SwampBox said:
so are smiters aren't just for pvp right?
Well this is the thing... Smiters are intended for 1 on 1 close combat. I'm not meaning it as in melee close combat. Zealots would do better than a Smiter in PvM I think.

First I don't know why the "bleep" you would max defiance when putting 1 in Redemption would do MUCH more in keeping your Smiter alive in PvM.

Smite don't do near as much dam as other forms of melee attack in the game. For example, a WW sin would do much more dam with Venom / OW than Smite and WW is not even her original skill.

Smite can be incredibly useful in duels however ppl may call you "noob" (shudder :eek: ) and can easily kill ppl. Smite is meant for killing sloooooooowly :eek: while stunning your enemy, but if you're surrounded by a mob of Venom Lords and such in Hell you WILL get literally "OVERWHELMED" and will die pretty fast without killing anything even with your Holy Shield / Defiance on.

I don't know much about classical, but my oppinion is based on 1.10 LoD.

- Dennis

Oh Classical... no Sins... No Chaos for WW... oh... :D

TopHatCat64

Diabloii.Net Member
SwampBox said:
why are smitadins only pvp because i have a smiter on classical that i use for pvm and im lvling it high
You certainly can use smite in pvm but if you look at what it does I think it was originally created more as support skill.

It's perfect for incapacitating single monsters with knockback AND stun. Your teammates can then unload on it at their leisure.

You're never going to level as fast as most power builds simply because smite only hits one monster at a time. Doesn't level fast = not a popular pvm build.

I suppose the lack of damage enhancers like Grief and Astreon's and class-specific pally shields is balanced by easier monsters in Classic.

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Davie. said:
Even if you play classic pally only zealots would be better pvm.
:D I dunno about classic but I do remember only having to put like 5 points in Zeal and it would kick ass just with 15% Life Steal... :D

- Dennis

Phyrexial

Diabloii.Net Member
Smite doesn't leech, and in PvM a melee class that doesn't leech is not going to last that long. Also, Smite's damage is very low in comparison to other melee builds.

You can keep chuggin pots to make up for the lack of leech, but in the end you will be killing slower and less efficiently.

IIDX

Diabloii.Net Member
one point into zeal is effective enough for a pvm smiter, though it lacks in damage.

fredsta54

Diabloii.Net Member
Dennis_KoreanGuy said:
:D I dunno about classic but I do remember only having to put like 5 points in Zeal and it would kick ass just with 15% Life Steal... :D

- Dennis
does that girl in your tar have a penis on her face? im sorry i have bad eyesight im just saying what i see

Phil

Diabloii.Net Member
Smite doesn't leech, and in PvM a melee class that doesn't leech is not going to last that long. Also, Smite's damage is very low in comparison to other melee builds. You can keep chuggin pots to make up for the lack of leech, but in the end you will be killing slower and less efficiently.
Smite doesn't life leech but that is easily negated with either exile or dracs because of life tap. As far as mana goes, smite costs a big 2 mana per attack. With around 500 mana, which is easy to get even without mana specific gear, that means 250 attacks without drinking a pot. Im not sure what people have against drinking pots, but if you really dont like to do it, one point in zeal will easily suffice for a full health and mana refill. Meditation for mana, and redemption for both mana and life are well worth it. Basically, as far as no leech goes, its really not any problem at all. And with 30k+ def easy and 75% block, you don't get hit much.

With Grief you can hit 10k smite damage, and at a 4 frame constant smite its not long before you own everything around, especially since they cannot attack back most of the time. No need for AR, cannot be blocked, super fast attack. The only downside is the lack of crowd control.

I have a PvM smiter that I love, and I can use it very effectively in PvP also. I love it. Make one of your own.

phil

Phyrexial

Diabloii.Net Member
I've had a Smiter for a very long time now, made it around the beginning of 1.10 as a Dclone killer and overall absorber. You are right about the Lifetap, I use Drac's and he is largely invincible when it triggers. However, as you pointed out it lacks crowd control. And being that you only hit one target at a time it is far slower than most other multitarget melee skills like WW. Smite is great for killing act bosses, but for general PvM I find it too slow.