Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Smiter to be made.. plz help

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Zarraz, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Zarraz

Zarraz Diabloii.Net Member

Smiter to be made.. plz help

At the very moment i am a Hammerdin with: 2,9k hp, 13k hammers, 75% block (holy shield)
    The gear i am wearing is: Shako, Mara's, HoTo, Enigma, Herald Zaka, Magefist,
    SoJ x2, Arachnid, War Traveller boots.
    2nd Equipment: Call to Arms, Spirit Shield...

Pretty good gear i assume.. BUT.
    I'm bored of the Hammerdin play way, so i want to try a Smiter ;-)
    Let's not talk about that..
    I'm just wondering..

Could i go UT/Dclone with that gear, and then ofc 1 pt. Smite spec?
    If so, would any of you Incgamers be so kind, to tell me which talents and how many points i should put in each??

Thanks alot! (;

Zarraz

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Smiter to be made.. plz help

Your Hammerdin gear lacks CB/OW/Life Tap, all of which you need for Ubers. Also, I'm not sure what your resists will be with that set-up after Meph's Conviction. Check this guide for how to set up a character for Ubers.

3. Nergal

Nergal Diabloii.Net Member

My Smiter setup is as follows,

Wep: Last Wish in a PB
    Sheild: Exile Vortex Shield w/ 45% res
    Helm: CoA w/ Ber, Ith
    Armor: Guardian Angel w/ Ber
    Gloves: Venom Grip (Can be Drac's if you want more life tap casting)
    Rings: Wisp/RavenFrost
    Belt: Verdungo's
    Boots: Goreriders
    Switch: CtA/Spirit
    Anni, Hellfire, 4 [email protected] scs, and 2 20life scs.

I have 95%@ in Hell (switch out bers/ith in gear and put in ums) Also, you have lots of beneficial Auras :)

As for skills:
    20 Smite
    20 Holy Sheild
    20 Defiance
    20 Fanaticism
    10 Resist Lightning
    rest Charge (for catching up to teleporters/runners in PVM)

My setup has LOW ow (10%) but my CB is **% and I have 2 sources of life tap.

4. Knarlfist

Knarlfist Diabloii.Net Member

I really like your setup, it's like the pricey "best of the best" choice gearwise... but I have one question about your gloves.

I myself would choose Drac's any day over Venomgrips, but if you were gonna not use Drac's wouldn't you wanna be using LoH for the massive %ED against Demons?

If this char is mostly for killing Ubers and Bosses, they are all gonna be Demons anyways, so that is a lot of potential added dmg for helping your Crushing Blow finish off the last sliver of a boss.

5. Nergal

@Knarl: Thanks, I like it too. But, mine is not much of an Uber farmer. I run them once a week? Just for backup Hellfires. Now LoH is a great alternative to venomgrip but I wanted 95 res @ in Hell without using a gul rune (not positive, for 5% max poison res). And I am a perfectionist and I'm currently lurking around for a Assassin build to master... mabye Kicker or I could make a variant... If you come across a unique build please pm me the name so I can check it out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

Wouldn't grief give ALOT more raw damage? It's also alot cheaper than LW :p

7. Nergal

@Nurman: From what I noticed no. The level 17 Might Aura happens to help with that. That, and I don't really like Greif all that much. I wanted beneficiality and superior tanking ability as a Smiter wether I'm by myself or with others.

8. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez Diabloii.Net Member

yes, a grief will inflict substantially more raw damage than a LW.

you are so very, very wrong. what you have been noticing is the effects of Crushing Blow.

Crushing Blow will knock the top off a monsters life bar very quickly, but once their life drops below the threshhold of CB, you are relying on raw damage to finish off that final sliver of life.

this is where a Grief weapon is absolutely unmatched for a Smiter in terms of Damage.

The +340 damage on the worst grief on bnet is still the equivalent of using a +90 to Holy Shield item in terms of raw smite damage.

there is no other item in the game that will give such a massive boost to any skill as a Grief will give a Smiter.

Crushing Blow can be found on many sources: hats (Guilly Face) boots (gores, goblin toes), gloves (rends, crafted blood gloves).

Grief style smite damage can come from one place and one place only: a Grief Weapon.

Last Wish is, imho, complete and utter junk and is only used by people who get dazzled by the sheer number of HRs it takes to create and assume that anything with that many hrs "must be good".

it isn't. it's junk.

the level 17 Might Aura just adds in another 200% off weapon %ED. that off weapon %ed get's added on with your Smite skill based %ed, Strength %ed and your Fanat aura off-wep %ed.

the grief +damage gets added directly to your shield base damage, from whence it gets multiplied by, well, by pretty much everything that enhances damage.

9. Nergal

@meph: I know what CB does. I know how Might/Grief damage is applied. Although, I honestly thought that +dmg on weps didn't effect smite. I also use LW for the Life Tap, Fade, and the Charged Bolt. All of which help me. Life Tap: obvious Fade:50% DR Charged: for PI's with Merc.

Also, I'm using a thorns (I'm bored of Hfreeze) merc w/ Treachery, Pride, and CoA w/ 2 bers. His damage is upped by Might as well. As is my damage from lv 20 Concentration.

I happen to like LW alot for its mods and such. I don't want to use Guillame's (No res/DR%) I'm using Gores, I don't have rends and my Crafted Blood Gloves happen to have less than 5% CB each. (Although some of the other stats are really good).

I'm normally not a big fan of Grief, I don't like the Venom (since it doesn't apply? Not sure on that) and the -EPR% doesn't do much either.

I have used a Grief Smiter before (Actually its my lv 80 Smiter...) And both do near the same damage, difference is the lv 80 has more +skills. My lv 80 can take the ubers (with -res after Conv) But dies if Ltap doesn't cast (which is 5% or so of the time), while my lv 92 Smiter has 15% + 10% so it either applies as 25%, 20% or 17.5% (unsure how they do their calculations for different slvl ctcs. With ingame tests I think it leans towards the 25% seeing how my life tap casts alot of the time... even when clearing throne room it casts about 4-6 times per wave (xpt MoD's which take longer with more casts) and charged bolt casts less than life tap.

If anyone can explain how different lv ctcs work that would be great :) And no offense to you Meph but Imo Grief is not the best thing ever...

I'm actually going to take out bers and ith for more res with Ums and more 5%@ scs so I can have [email protected] after Meph's Conv.

10. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

GriefPb + Treachery + draculs + gface + upped pdiamond zaka + gores + ravenfrost + rarering + highlords. All you might want. Arguably the most damaging and generally most versatile combo. For Ãœber Mephi switch armor to smoke / Coh (gl getting it with these ber prices) after prebuffing.

Problems with PI's? Lawbringer / Azurewrath on switch. Maybe atma's scarab as amulet. Maybe get a 1p zeal. to use in harmony with lawbringer + azurewrath or maybe even baranar's / Lightsabre.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  11. Knarlfist

Knarlfist Diabloii.Net Member

It might just be me, but if I had a LW I would throw it on my merc.... I think I would rather use Grief for myself.

Not that my merc has any problems. He uses a simple setup: Lawbringer, eth Vamp Gaze, eth Glad Bane. Short, simple, sweet. Sometimes I think about changing his weapon to Azurewrath, but since he accompanies me on Nihlathak runs for D Keys, I would have to change his armor to Tyreal's Might for the RIP mod. Gl finding that >.>

12. Nergal

heres something to blow your minds, (knarl merc has pride which gives better aura). I gave an add 400dmg grief to my smiter and used holy sheild. w/o merc and all auras from skills and gear, 1495-2610. LW with same combo, 1723-3008. it appears that LW has more raw damage. So based upon in game tests and not theoretical damage adding Last Wish is the better choice. If you dont beleive me, Ill make a mini vid on it.

13. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

Looking at your lying character screen (LCS) is not an in-game test. It called the lying character screen for a reason. Grief just does more damage. However, since the Ubers have so much life and your actual smite damage doesn't become a factor until the last few % of HP, anything works as long as you have CB.

14. Nergal

That is true, you could (technically) have no weapon. Mainly because your sheild does the damage.

15. mephiztophelez

those two statements are mutually exclusive.

if you knew how Grief +Damage was applied, you would have know it affects Smite.

and just FYI: it's only +X Damage, NOT +XX -> +YY damage. +XX->+YY damage is +min/+max.

the +X Damage mod is only available on THREE weapons, only two of which are any good for a smiter: Grief, Asterons Iron Ward and a Bonesnap 2h maul.

again, Fade, LifeTap and PI solutions are all available from other sources.

Grief damage comes from one place: a Grief Weapon.

that said, a Grief (or a LW for that matter) is hardly mandatory equipment for an ubers smiter.

i've done it with a Black Flail on a Smiter and a Strength Greater Talon on a kick'sin. in both cases the 'tap came from either a wand or from Dracs or often both (hose down the place with a lifetap wand to start, then rely on the dracs to keep it up)..

i've heard tale of people using a Wizknife or even a Shael/Shael Bone Wand Of Lifetap on a hardcore ubers smiter and succeeding.

the Grief Smiter is doing considerably more raw damage than the LW smiter.

end of story.

there is a reason why a Grief is the PvP smite weapn du-jour: it's brokenly good for smiters. the Ignore Target Def, Venom and -%PLR are actually good mods for PvM, as when used with Zeal, it becomes a decent, if slow, Phys Immune solution.

dear lord.

do you understand that the character screen is called the LYING CHARACTER SCREEN for a REASON?

you can trust the LCS for about as long as it take you to reach a place called Normal Den Of Evil.

here's a test you can do to prove to yourself i actually know what i'm talking about.

get your smiter and a mate with a high-life, max %DR barbarian.

go and smite him five times with an LW (let him heal after each smite), then go thump him five times with the Grief, changing ONLY the weapon.

get your mate to record how much damage he received from each smite and average the results for each weapon.

THEN come back here and claim LW does more damage than Grief.

16. Nergal

Best thing ever, both smiters are SP chars. RW mod does wonders. Let me go buy an ethernet cord, second comp, and THIRD diablo II copy (my first is missing cd keys). That's appx $350 just to even do your test. No thank you. I know every source of benefits can come from other gear but LW is the only thing with a lv 17 Might Aura, ctc of fade on a wep, and life tap on a wep that is beneficial to me (Just as griefs dmg) I don't use zeal because I find zeal a waste for smiters and instead use Charge. ITD doesn't effect smite thus making it worthless for me. The ONLY time I use charge is to get a first hit, tele'ing enemies, running enemies, and random spawned enemies (evil urns). Venom and -EPR% doesn't help if I only use charge to get into a large fight. Ofc this is all IMO, so I really don't care I prefer LW over Grief, I like the mods more.

17. mephiztophelez

all fine and dandy that YOU prefer LW to Grief on an ubers smiter.

but please, don't spout out inaccurate information when replying to other people's queries.

18. onderduiker

onderduiker Diabloii.Net Member

Unfortunately +% Damage to Demons isn't applied to Smite damage.

Are you sure? Blood gloves should have 5-10% Chance of Crushing Blow.

Smite will cast Venom on striking, but the resulting poison damage and length isn't added to its damage.

% Chance to Cast only adds together for the same level, skill and casting method: equipping Dracul's Grasp Vampirebone Gloves (5% Chance to Cast Level 10 Life Tap on Striking) and a Wrath bow (5% Chance to Cast Level 10 LT on Striking) would result in 10% (5+5) Chance to Cast Level 10 LT on Striking.

However, when levels are different the % Chances to Cast remain separate. Equipping a Last Wish Phase Blade (10% Chance to Cast Level 18 LT on Striking) and an Exile Vortex Shield (15% Chance to Cast Level 5 LT on Striking) results in the following possibilities:

Code:
    OUTCOME                 % CHANCE
    -------------------------------------------
    Both cast                1.5 (100*0.1*0.15)
    Only level 18 LT cast    8.5 (100*0.1*0.85)
    Only level  5 LT cast   13.5 (100*0.9*0.15)
    No LT cast              76.5 (100*0.9*0.85)

So overall there's 23.5% (1.5+8.5+13.5, or 100-76.5) chance of LT being cast on striking.

You've confused Bonesnap Maul with Stone Crusher Legendary Mallet (Damage +10-30), and forgotten The Redeemer Mighty Scepter (Damage +60-120).

19. Nergal

@onder: Thanks for clearing up the venom w/ Smite and diff lv. ctcs for me. I appreciate it. I saw your screen name on Arreat Summit's DIILOD news. Are you a part of Blizzard?

20. onderduiker

onderduiker Diabloii.Net Member

Ah no, I'm just a fan who sent an email to update one of the Arreat Summit's pages. :)