Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Smiter choices?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by silverace, Feb 24, 2008.

1. silverace

silverace Diabloii.Net Member

Smiter choices?

I've started a smiter and I've been reading up on build guides for it. I was left with a few questions that I hope you guys can answer:

1) Every guide says that smiters totally destroy bosses....but when I tried smiting andariel it didn't stun or knock her back at all, not to mention it did negligible damage. What's the deal?

2) Why do smiters max Defiance Aura? I see that it gives some defence bonus to Holy Shield, but I would think being a paladin with max block shield, that synergy isn't that big a deal.....

3) I read one guide where the guy recommended Exile as the best choice of shield for a smiter....but then he also recommended an act2 Defiance merc.....both give Defiance aura so what's the point of that? Do they stack?

4) A question that never seems to be answered in these guides...what does a smiter do to deal with PI's? 1pt Vengeance?

2. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Smiter choices?

1) You can't stun or knock a boss back... However, with the right weapon in play, smite will rip them to shreads... Smite never misses, and cannot be blocked, therefore it always hits... This also allows the transfer of niffty mods like Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, and Life Tap, so you more or less become invincible, and you rip through said boss like tissue paper...

2) Defiance adds bonus defense to holy shield, but it also adds more smite damage when Holy Shield is in play...

3) Exile as being the best choice is a matter of opinion... Many say that a really good roll on an upped HoZ would be the best choice... I'd say it comes down to what you prefer...

The aura from Exile won't stack with the merc's AFAIK... I think the higher level one will be the only one in play, so that seems like a silly idea to me... I'd use a Might merc or something...

4) Either avoid PI's, (which most seem to do) or toss some Gimmershreads... There is a "How to Deal with PI's" guide in the stickies, so they could give you some more ideas to help you with that...

*Requiem_Death

3. zarirazz

zarirazz Diabloii.Net Member

iirc defiance doesn't add holy shield's damage. only defense as part of a synergy.
    nonetheless, points in defiance is probably for the defense boost. 15% per level is quite high imo..

4. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel Diabloii.Net Member

Hows that possible defiance to add damage to smite? Seems wrong to me..

5. flamingchen

flamingchen Diabloii.Net Member

What level is your smite and what level HS/elite shield do you have? Once you start getting some stuff like grief phase blade, max fanat, maxe HS, max smite, using elite shield, crushing blow, open wounds, then you start shredding bosses apart, If you are only level 20 with low gear, low skills etc., you can't expect much.

6. illestkhmai

illestkhmai Diabloii.Net Member

With that stuff, even level 1 smite would suffice :tongue:.

7. silverace

Ok well right now I am a lvl22 smiter....actually smite's been pretty useless so i've been using 1pt zeal instead

So it seems to me that maxing defiance aura is not that great, especially when there will be monsters that ignore defense.....wouldn't it be smarter to put those 20 points in something else? like maybe Resist Lightning aura to get the passive bonus?

Of course i'm thinking PvM......I am guessing that the synergy bonus from defiance is for PvP purposes?

8. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

You're right, that was wrong info... I was thinking of something different all together... Anyhoo, the rest of what I said should be spot on... I think... lol

*Requiem_Death

9. silverace

hmmm so does anybody have an answer? Why is defiance a top choice to max when all it does is increase defense a bit? Is it perhaps to allow you to spend fewer points in dex and more in vitality?

10. zarirazz

zarirazz Diabloii.Net Member

boosting defiance just means more defense when holy shield is on. i don't think there's any other benefits.. more defense just means more likelihood that you don't get hit.

as to whether it's the top choice, imo putting points into resist lightning seems better for the passive bonus. but it's all up to preference =)

11. sorcguy

sorcguy Diabloii.Net Member

for the record I don't think it's a top pick at all. I wouldn't use it until zeal, sacrifice, holy shield, and fanatacism are all maxed.

12. silverace

Why max zeal and sacrifice? Isn't the point of a smiter to smite? :p

i mean right now i'm using zeal because my low-level equipment doesn't give enough mods

but am i going to use it over smite in hell difficulty? (that's not rhetorical, i don't know the answer)

13. Mooranie

Mooranie Diabloii.Net Member

Belonging to me, you put point on skill that you actually uses. If you feel like you need more defence, invest in defiance after holyshield, so you can use it. Otherwise, invest in something you will use, like redemption or even sanctuary (for chaos) or conviction.

Just put point on what you use.

On mine, i've put some point on conviction to help in pvm party when nobody has the chance to have infinity.

14. Alc

Alc Diabloii.Net Member

Smite isn't much fun vs. crowds, zeal is much more efficient. Smite is excellent for bosses, but for the rest of the game you'll probably prefer to zeal.

15. sorcguy

I have a "1 point smiter" (see guide)

This is my first pally, and one of my issues was my concern that I was going to have to kill monsters one at a time. With zeal I don't have to, I can just hop into a crowd and start mowing things down (with grief phase blade)

I have the listed skills maxxed. Bosses are a non-issue. If you didn't already know, the +damage mod is key for smiting as it adds on to smite damage. I smite on occasion for non-bosses by accident and it works, but not nearly as well as zeal.

This build does very well in uber tristram and killing uber diablo is just plain ol' easy.

If you want to make a pure smiter I can't help as I'm not knowledgeable. Sorry.

16. silverace

i see, so you only stick 1 pt in smite and reserve it for boss use. Then essentially you are a zealot with smite as a special case skill?

well too late for me, i already have 7 points in smite :p

17. sorcguy

7 points isn't a big deal. You can still make an awesome zealer... just start allocating differently. If you look at page 1 on the 1 point smiter guide you can see how your weapon choice makes a much bigger difference in smite damage than your smite skill level.