Smite

Lair

Diabloii.Net Member
Smite

I am playing the paladin. When I put points into smite it does not increase the damage. How come? am I doing something wrong? I am using the umbral disk small shield. when i use smite with it it does only 5-7 damage i already have 11 points into smite. please help

deichsela

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Smite

Umbral Disk Small Shield smite damage: 2 To 3
Level 11 Smite increases damage +165%
2 x 2.65 = 5.3
3 x 2.65 = 7.95

5-7 damage indeed. If you're not a high enough level for an exceptional shield, try switching to a spiked shield (5 To 9 dmg).

Holy Shield helps tremendously when you are able to use it, since the damage it adds is multiplied by Smite.

HegemonKhan

Diabloii.Net Member

wiki link on smite:

http://www.diabloii.net/wiki/Paladin_Combat_Skills#Smite
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
smite gives % damage increase. holy shield gives actual damage increase.

i presume that your shield's smite damage is low. so that increased in % damage from skills into smite dont change damage at all or much. u'll need a higher damage shield to see changes in damage from smite's % damage increase.

for example: lets jsut say u have a shield that does 1 damage. 0% to 50% (from smite) isnt much of a damage increase. 1 damage to 1.5 damage. but now lets say u have a shield that does 50 damage. 0% to 50% (from smite) is much more noticible at/from 50 to 75 damage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ach deich beat me

anyways, most damaging smite shield is (i think) barbed shield. so u want a godly rare barbed shield with max smite and holy shield and +skills. only CB and OW damage mods work with smite according to wiki. smite shield attack speed based/determined on/by weapon according to wiki

barty

Diabloii.Net Member

change your shield bro, smite really just adds stun length time, it is very effective at lvl 20 so dont hesistsate maxing it out. holy shield will add dmg, lvl 20 adding around 57-60 dmg, and a barbed shield [ most dmging with smite will add like 16-35 i think]. so adding 57-60+16-35 stun length of 4.4 seconds, dmg increase of 300% from max smite sooo...
min dmg of 250 ish, max dmg of 450 ish. now add in another aura such as fana,+ added 35 ias fana is like 373% ed and and ull get 1000-1200 dmg per smite .[ those stats with lvl 20 smite lvl 20 fana lvl 20 holy shield, no +skills gear]
that will hurt a grip if u are hitting 3-4 times a second, with some crushing blow, it kills for me as fast as WW on some characters, refer to page like 3-4 for a smite build guide i posted a few weeks ago for more tips on smite.

Lair

Diabloii.Net Member

Smite Paladin is the best build for the Paladins right? Are smite paladins the most powerful build?

barty

Diabloii.Net Member

ive heard that xpac smiters are very overpowered, but in classic they are not the strongest build. hammerdin is probably the strongest, being the mule in cs.
few things to note about smite:
1. smite range is based on weapon range [ if you smite with a cudgel, smite range =1, if you smite witha flail/knout/naga your range of smite is 3]
2.smite base attack speeds are based on weapon speed [smiting with a bhammer = slow, smiting with a shortsword = fast] and thats with base ias, with no ias gear or auras, try it with 2 diff speed weapons and you'll understand
3. open wounds and cruhing blow are essential [i tend to sway toward using only cb, but ow helps a bit]try goblin toes, or if your strapped try crushflange/rixots/bloodcrescent/gnasher, i wouldnt use these at high lvls. maybe generals i would, if i had no good rares.
4.elemental dmgs do not stack with smite, so if you think a 5 soc perfect emmy flail will add poison dmg your wrong. the only thing that will add cold to your smite is iceblink [freezes target, only other items are woestave and axe of fechmar, both 2 hand weapons so they wont work, its kinda hard to smite with a 2hand weapon] not sure if cold dmg ammies will stack but i dont think they do. so added elemental dmg form weapons or other gear does not apply, neither does min dmg or max dmg modifiers.
5.IAS is very important for smiter, you need quite abit of ias to make it viable pvp/pvm
id recommend 50+ [ such as[30 ias] deaths glove +belt[cannot be frozen is required for the smiters i have built, gg for pvp sorcies as well] +[20 ias] twitch], also ias from weapon
such as +2 pal +20-40 ias range 3 weapon[flail] would be dream choice, adding most of your needed ias along with skills [+skills add little dmg, so worry about ias/range before +skills] i would recommend trying out generals tan do li ga flal [unique flail] , it has range of 3 adds 20 ias and 50% target slow, which is very, very, very gg for pvp/pvm.
you can also shop pally weapons, look for hell lower acts to find +x pal +xx ias flails.
flails the best, imo. having a range of 3 and good base speed for smite. also has lower req than knout, easier to equip. i have shopped some decent flails, +2 pal +20 ias being the best one.