Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Smite Issue

Discussion in 'Classic' started by danbus, Nov 8, 2006.

1. danbus

danbus IncGamers Member

Smite Issue

With Smite does Concentrate affect damage or is it just Might?

Also, ONLY weapons' speed (including IAS) affect smite speed as well, correct?

I was thinking about using my +1 52 dmg 20ias Warhammer.

2. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

you can find a 30ias +2 cutlass (sword with low level req)

fanaticism is better for smiter
    not sure if might/concentration add damage but I think they do

3. danbus

danbus IncGamers Member

yea...it's gonna be a LLD @ lvl 28

4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

In theory, you could aquire a 30ias +1 cutlass which has a level 27 req.
    So you could use it on a mid level (28) dueler. In LoD, the definitions of low, mid and high are a bit different then in classic because they have uniques which span almost the whole level spectrum. So in LoD, a level 28 would probably be called a low level dueler, while in classic, low would be under 24 and personally, I define low level duelers as level 9 up to and including level 17.

You should note that at level 28, you are bound to have to fight WW barbs.

You will need 25 ias to get the 7 frames smite breakpoint with a cutlass.
    You will need 65 ias to get the 6 frames smite breakpoint with a cutlass.

So a +1 cutlass combined with sigons gloves and another or deaths gloves and another will get you the 7 frames breakpoint.
    If you happen to aquire a cutlass with ias(preferably at least 20) you can add twitch to the above to get 6 frames. Or, if your cutlas only has 10, you could add goldwrap to sig gloves/helm and twitch to still get the 6 frames bp.
    Just hope that you don't get frozen.
    If you're wondering "what's with the cutlass-fixation" ? It's Fred's(used to post here often, but seems to be away for a bit) fault. He pointed out that cutlass is the only -30 base speed 1 handed weapon in classic.
    If you want to use other weapons, be sure to check the list to see how much IAS would be good :
    http://www.diabloii.net/characters/paladin/ias-smite.shtml (diabloii.net)

At the moment I have a level 16 and a level 9 smiter, both work very well.
    The level 9 finally gave me a chance to use my old Eye. :)

And about the aura's, might, conc and fana all boost the damage of smite afaik. Fana is offcourse most used because(as you can see from the list) ias bp's are much easier to reach with fana, bessides the ias you get from the skill. Though your real damage will come from Holy shield combined with a damage boosting aura.

5. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

I wouldn't suggest fana to a lvl 28 dueler because it requires lvl 30.. Say he put on full deaths, would the cold dmg from deaths touch transfer to the shield while smiting?

6. WarlockCC

Fledgeling didn't know it was going to be a level 28 dueler when he advised Fana and I didn't advise fana, I just explained the advantages of fana, but in the above explanation of why the cutlass, all the IAS bps are those without fana.

And no. I would like that aswell, but unfortunately, elemental damage does not transfer. Otherwise one could put on that necro bone helm to add poison damage, an Eye for cold damage, sparkling mail for lightning damage and hotspurs for fire damage.
    Or with one of the elemental aura's the smiter would become a bit too powerfull.
    Imagine 1k cold damage per 6 frames which allways hits (with holy freeze).
    It would put smiters back on the map though. :)

7. danbus

danbus IncGamers Member

Ok, conc gives smite more...smiting power. I'm going for lvl 28.

In my eyes, anything UNDER lvl 30 is considered LLD.

Sigh...I require a +1 barbed shield. I spend 3 hours 1 night looking for one to imbue. It's weird when you are LOOKING for a particular item, it's no where to be found. When I needed a goth to imbue, couldnt find one in about 30 cow lvls. Looking for a barbed shield, goths were EVERYWHERE.

FYI - You can find a soj in NM cows, just dont intend on finding one. =)

8. zaxien

zaxien IncGamers Member

I have a 75 smiter and best way to go is fana not conc..
    also pump that hs..
    18kdef + 1500 smite damage rocks lol

9. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

An easily obtained non-cutlass weapon to consider possibly is Khalim's Will- that gives 50% IAS on a slower weapon (base speed -10) without the +1 skill. You need a total of 60% IAS to get to 7FPA, so with Khalim's that's only 10% off weapon which is quite manageable. To get to 6FPA that's much steeper- you need 129% IAS which isn't likely to happen in Classic. (50% from Khalim's, 30% from Sigon's, 10% from Goldwrap and 20% from Twitch still falls short.)

A cutlass with on-weapon IAS is a much better weapon for a smiter. You don't care about the usual weapon mods (enhanced damage, leech, etc) but still a cutlass with good IAS and +skills is known to be valuable for smiters, so there is some demand for them.

10. danbus

danbus IncGamers Member

OH OH I just found out something.

Open Wounds works with smiting. Eh eh. There is a sword that has open wounds as a mod. Eh eh. It also has life and all res. Eh eh.

Too bad I dont have the blood crescent. Aw.

11. WarlockCC

Yes, Blood Cresent(base -20) is sometimes suggested for Low Level duelers, I wouldn't use it for a, imho, mid level dueler though, since those can use cutlasses. In fact, I wouldn't make a smiter so close to 30, since you will be facing Orb sorcs, WW barbs and BS necro's. Against which you don't stand a chance as a smiter, unless they are busy timing out.

Why are you set on making your smiter level 28 and not lower ? You are looking for a barbed shield and you have yet to descide on a weapon, so that can't be it. You have some nice mods level 28 amu or something ?

Did you calculate the actual pvp damage you are going to get ?

Yeah, 18k def and 1500 smite damage and max fana would be nice on a level 28 paladin, but I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.
    You mind listing your gear though ? Cause I have a descent def smiter, which has yet to max out his Defiance. And I am curious what gear got you to 18k def in 1.10. Let alone the 1500 smite damage.

12. fledgeling

I think he is level 28 in order to use Goldskin (or does goldskin require level 29?)

a high defense/perfect goldskin gives you a LOT of defense, especially with holy shield

my LLD smiter used gnasher as a weapon. not that fast, but still good.
    I would rather be interested in the running speed of my LLD smiter than the attack speed

I dont remember the exact equipment of my smiter when he was level 28
    I think it was:
    gnasher/blood crescent
    swordback/+1 shield with spikes
    goldskin
    fhr helmet with resists
    30rw boots with resists (LACKING FHR T_T) or goblins
    death's gloves+belt, but sigon probably would be better for the +defense (would it be multiplied by holy shield?)
    etlich amulet
    2 life/resists rings I think, not really sure, rings with stats/life/resists would probably be better

the problem of the smiter was slow running speed (I think he wouldnt catch up a good bowazon) and sometimes he still needed some resists, e.g. vs LLD javazons

actually I started wondering about an LLD blizzard sorc ~28/29
    LLD firesorc could potentially work, because I could kill some characters while leveling my firesorc

could you list your items please?

13. WarlockCC

In theory I could make a nice lld zon with my prepatch raven. Level 15 needed for explosive bundles of fun. :)

14. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

what level does holy fire start for pallys? make one vita build, as much to holy fire as you can get at that level and wear ias gear?

when I was mucking around with my zon, I was disappointed to learn that strafe nullifies the exploding arrow's explosion. I suspect, that GA, and other zon attacks do as well.

in my brief playing with holy fire and an rclaw on nonladder, I did find that holy fire did add some to the rclaw's fire damage.

the pally's other more useful aura's such as fana, etc. are all much higher level than 15 aren't they?

maybe a holy freeze prepatch rclaw llder to slow down the typical lld chargers?

15. fledgeling

actually I have a level 16 holy fire palladin holding a new ravenclaw

he does around 165max damage, but it could be much better if I rushed him to nightmare/hell (few more skillpoints)

it is a fun character and runs quite fast, but I think he isnt THAT good in duel. actually I never had the chance to test him much, because there are few LLDs on europe NL. He can kill 2-3 characters in an 8 player game, but it's not a big achievement to kill 3 leveling chars with an LLD even when they cooperate

16. WarlockCC

When the ladder resets there will be a whole lot of fresh meat on Euro NL. There are actually LLDs, you just have to draw them out. Consistantly making LLD games in normal will get others to join in. The nice thing about LLD is that it's usually cheap and easy to find gear. You just need some knowledge of how to put things together in LLD, but anybody can join in and have some fun with it.
    My level 9 smiter had some trouble with a level 25 summoner, his skele and mageswarm was just a tad too damaging for little old me. So I took out my level 12 charger. :)

17. zaxien

zaxien IncGamers Member

If you are on east msg me in game...dead. dead.hxc if not send me a pm and I will list it all for you. Take into consideration that 18k def is with shout too :rolleyes: without shout i think it is around 12-13k

18. KoalaBearThirtyThree

KoalaBearThirtyThree IncGamers Member

If you are on USEast ladder, I can give that to you for free (need to double-check but I think I have it). I also have a magical IAS cutlass (or maybe scimitar--not sure), as well as a 2 socketed barbed shield... I can give you all of that for free... was planning to build a vindicator but probably won't...

19. danbus

danbus IncGamers Member

Cool beans. I'm on USEL. *danbus. I'll be on once I get home from work.

I want lvl 28 because I'll be able to max out my Smite and get some in Conc. It's required lvl 25 to use a barbed shield. I have about 400 or so life at lvl 20. For orbers under lvl 35 should pose no threat. I'll just use 2 psaph barbed for them as well as hawkmail (which I need to get). I use charge as my primary attack and once I hit them, I switch to smite.

Just so it's clear, IAS from deaths/sigon gives faster smite attack?
    Or is it only from weapon IAS?

20. zaxien

zaxien IncGamers Member

yes any ias = faster smite speed