Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

small dilemma (semi-formal dance stuff)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

small dilemma (semi-formal dance stuff)

Ok, quick rundown, I've got a girlfriend, her sorority's semi-formal dance is coming up on Saturday, I'm going to it with her, obviously.

Now, a friend who is in a different sorority, whose semi-formal is on Friday asked me to also go with her to hers. I'd definitely love to go with her, but I'm worried the girlfriend wont like it too much. I told her pretty much that, that I'd love to go with her, but I'm going to run it by the girlfriend first. Just seeing if you all think this is the best way to deal with it, to go, but talk to my girlfriend first, make sure shes ok with it.

On a side note... what do I wear to a semi-formal dance? Thanks:smiley:

-Matt

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

depends on how well you know the other girl and how well your girl friend knows her as well.

as for semiformal.. just means collared shirt, slacks, and not too formal shoes

3. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Don't forget the tie. Wear it through the door, take it off after about 30 minutes.

4. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I would not go with the other girl to that dance. A dance is not a platonic event, and no matter what she says, your girlfriend will be jealous.

5. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I know the other girl pretty well, I've known her since beginning of freshman year at school (we're all sophomores now). The two of them definitely know eachother, but only through me. They're not close friends, but they get along. In other words, they're both friends of mine, so they know eachother, but if I didnt know both, they probably wouldnt have ever met.

Thanks for the replies!

-Matt

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

a tie is not completely necessary although some ppl do take that extra step for the semi formal definition

i would kind of have to side with SuggestiveName's opinion here. Even if your gf says it will be ok, the conversation on both ends will be awkward you never know what will happen. Sometimes the smallest things can blow up in your face.

7. Lazer LXXVII

Lazer LXXVII IncGamers Member

Depends on how you feel about your girl, if you really feel strongly about her then dont go with your friend, im sure she'll understand. But if its just a whatever relationship, ask your girl if you can go just as friends.

Semi-formal = slacks and a collared shirt pretty much.

8. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Ask your girlfriend, and then go from there. Is she says she's okay with it, take her at her word and go to the dance.

If you can't trust her to be honest about what she wants, then you might need to re-evaluate youir relationship.

9. SuggestiveName

This is not a matter of her being honest. She may honestly think it is ok. Then after the dance it will eat at her from the inside. The jealousy will happen even if she thinks it won't. And when you try to pull the rational excuse "But you said it was ok with you" she will take your balls.

I've seen it happen, folks. Ain't pretty.

10. SaroDarksbane

Which means she's irrational, wants you to read her mind, and fails to take responsibility for the things she says and does.

Like I said, re-evaluation time.

11. SuggestiveName

So...give up on all women and date a dude?

12. SaroDarksbane

Not all women are like that.

Maybe if guys were pickier about what they would put up with, those kinds of women wouldn't get away with being irrational drama queens all the time.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You don't know a lot of women, huh?

14. SaroDarksbane

See the above post.

I fully realize that most women display the above traits. I just don't know why guys are okay with that.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

*Gets out the list of typical complaints women have about men*

I wonder why most women are okay with those.

16. SaroDarksbane

I wonder too. And your point?

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, if the men change to please the women and the women change to please the men then we'll be in the same position again with the lists reversed.

18. SaroDarksbane

So common complaints from women about their men include things like the fact that they take responsibility for what they say and do and aren't irrational enough?

I'd like to see the survey you got that from, if possible.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I think that what actually happens is that men and women are just different, and often friction results so that men put these differences in a bad light, and vice versa.

20. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Don't know if you were joking or serious, so I'm just going to pretend you were serious.

Not all women would really be jealous. I know my fiancee wouldn't be. I’ve slept in the same bed as a friend of mine before we were engaged and she didn’t care.

Anyway, I’m pretty much siding with SaroDarksbane. If the woman honestly trusts the guy then she won't have any issues. If she doesn't trust him then either he's done something to be considered untrustworthy, or she is completely and utterly insecure in the relationship. Either reason is probably a good reason not to be dating.

Though, from what I gather the original poster and both girls are still in college, which is basically an extension of high school with more beer... Taking that into consideration, I'm going to pull a 180 and take my turn at generalizing. Don't go with your friend. You'll be in for some real drama because college kids are just as fickle as High School kids are the first couple of years (and sometimes more). It's not a reflection upon the strength of the relationship at this point, rather the ages of the people involved. Sorry if I offended anyone, but it’s really fairly true…

*waits for the masses to disagree and throw stones*