Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Small D3 Beta = Short D3 Beta = Lots of testers?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Small D3 Beta = Short D3 Beta = Lots of testers?

I speculated about that on the podcast today with Elly (will be posted tomorrow morning) so let me spell it out in words. And yeah, it's kinda related to this thready, by kickback.

From this morning's leaked cell phone beta shot we know that the beta is small; the guy said he beat it 3x in just one afternoon. (The media people weren't playing the exact same build as the beta, but very similar.)

We also know it ends with King Leoric, who we know is not the end of Act One.

Thus we know the beta isn't about testing game systems or balance or major portions of the game. It's basically a tech demo to give Bliz tech support a head start on launch day crash bugs, and a way to stress test the B.net D3 features/servers/game creation/etc.

They need a lot of testers for that. A lot of people online. A fresh supply of new testers with new systems. (Plus, since the beta isn't very much content, a lot of people won't play it for hundreds of hours, so there will be high turnover.)

There were generally over 20k testers online, at all times, during the SC2 beta, and everyone who was in that beta got at least one "invite a friend" opportunity, as they needed fresh meat. It seems likely that the D3 beta will follow that trend. Lots of testers, lots added in regularly to keep the testing numbers up, and best of all, the test shouldn't run that long, since it's just for tech stuff. (And to give the devs more time to test out end game/high level/system changes, which we'll be able to tell you about once the NDA expires Aug 1.)

So, D3 beta won't run that long (3 months?), there will be tens of thousands of people in it right from the start, and hundreds of thousands will probably get a shot at it eventually. If my calculations are correct, almost everyone reading this will get into the beta, eventually, and the wait for the final game should be a lot shorter than we've been expecting. Hence good news, unless you were sure you'd get into the beta right at the start, and had hoped for all of Act One for your private multi-month playground.

2. Apendecto

Apendecto IncGamers Member

Re: Small D3 Beta = Short D3 Beta = Lots of testers?

My thing was no matter what they say, they'd be dumb not to get D3 out by Christmas. That makes it a lot more feasible with what you said.

3. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

[​IMG]

4. svidikus

svidikus IncGamers Member

I agree with Bad Ash/Borat.

5. digitalforce

digitalforce IncGamers Member

That is great news yet still a long shot with the history of Diablo III. Every time we've gotten excited about a beta or a release date, it seems to just be pushed back. I am surrounded by a lot of PC gamer/co-workers that have pretty much given up on DIII.

"We'll talk in 2013."
    "Whatever. I don't care about betas. I don't care about release dates. I will believe it when I HOLD THE BOX IN MY HAND!"

While I am much more optimistic, do you think we'll have any better idea of a SOLID release window after August 3rd?

As excited as I am for more details, I am just ready to play. And if pushed to "2012", that could be Jan 2012 or Sep 2012 for all we know..

6. Don Jaime

Don Jaime IncGamers Member

Seems like sound reasoning to me. As far as purely selfish desires go, I'll gladly take an almost guaranteed, yet very small, portion of Act I over a beta that is larger and potentially targets less players, which will probably exclude a plebeian like myself, but addresses more issues post release.

So, if there's more of an emphasis on stress testing, I take it there will be less favor towards older/stranger system builds?

7. fnaxqtr

fnaxqtr IncGamers Member

I hope i get into beta , and i like that it is short and tries to exclude story. Its much more "unspoilering" ;)

and btw can you watch the video ?

8. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

See, to me this is a short-term vs. long-term pay off sort of thing.

Blizzard will get no real balance feedback from this beta. So the release version will more than likely be broken to hell and heavens and back.

Given the choice of not getting into the beta with a higher quality release product vs. a guaranteed chance of this crappy "up to butcher" style demo with a lower quality release... I would skip on the beta. I can be patient.

9. spindrjr

spindrjr IncGamers Member

10. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

This is kind of disappointing in a way because they have had the game long enough as it is. WoW this is going to be a painful launch.

11. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

You're so clever aren't you?

12. Don Jaime

Don Jaime IncGamers Member

That's really the smarter option if you ask me, if you want a really great game. My patience is just starting to get the better of me.

I'd wager to say Vivendi/Activision's gonna want that money if their 2011 Q4 projections don't look so hot. They'll release the beta, and then the game, while the IP's white hot and will maximize sales.

To hell with playability, there's yachts, summer homes and green fees that aren't going to pay for themselves.

13. fnaxqtr

fnaxqtr IncGamers Member

at least i hope the servers dont lagg like hell, if the multiplayer is serverbased.

14. digitalforce

Forcegaming dude tweeted "Unreal... big BIG news on Monday. Get ready. It'll all be up the second the NDA goes bye bye"

Maybe I am alone on this, but the trading system or videos don't qualify as "BIG BIG" news. At this point, the only thing that really matter are BETA--> RELEASE.

I really hope this Flux post is a clever way of saying "The beta is coming FAST and it will be SHORT and November or December we'll be playing Diablo III" :yes:

15. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

So, really, is this NDA lifted at August 1st, 00:00 Pacific or August 1st, 12:00 Pacific?

16. seffer

seffer IncGamers Member

August 1st, 00:00 Pacific.

17. digitalforce

From what I read, it's 12am August 1st (1am MST, 2am CST, 3am EST, etc)

So I have to leave to work at the buttcrack of dawn on Monday morning, I'll check it then.

And Flux, is it driving you NUTS to not spill all the beans? Please don't turn into Bashiok! ;)

18. Flux

Flux Administrator

I don't think it'll be that broken, but I think that Bliz has always planned to do most of their balancing post release. It's just too huge a game, with so much equipment and skills and runestones, that the permutations are nearly infinite. They could have run a large beta for 6 months with the whole game, and done a decent job balancing.. and then still needed to do a bunch of patch balancing once 5 million monkeys are hammering on their keyboards and producing digital shakespeare.

So they're just going to rush out the release product in pretty good shape, and count on doing some major balancing in patches after a month or 2.

I'm actually feeling sympathy for Bashiok and his long history of very sporadic forum posting. I want to get into more of the debates that are going on now, but I can't since many of the terms of the discussion are obsolete/old info. So it's not that bad ideas are present, it's that the whole debate has shifted.

Also, any debate I do weigh in on, even if it's just my opinion on something new, people will take my words as indicative of some secret something. Even if I didn't mean it that way.

My consolation is knowing that come Sunday 1 minute past midnight, there will be about 10 brand new 100+ post threads in this forum, since there's going to be so much new stuff to debate. I'm reminded of Blizzcon 2009 when I posted a quick note that manual attribute allocation was out, when Jay Wilson had first revealed that in an interview with a group fansite interview, and when I looked back an hour later after attending a panel, the thread was like 17 pages long. (And partially screwed up, since Jay hadn't mentioned that str/dex reqs were out, so I took the auto-attributes to mean that no wiz/wd would ever be able to wear heavy armor or use heavy weapons.)

I have not at all formed my final opinion on a number of things; partially since I didn't see/play them myself, and partially since I want to read more opinions on them before I decide and hear Jay Wilson's justifications. At this point I'm just informed by a few quick editorials, and I want more data and varied opinions so I can form my judgments.

19. treader

treader IncGamers Member

Ok Flux we get it :).

Just make sure the reveal is huge and informative when the NDA is lifted and I am sure everyone will be happy. I doubt the secrets will stay under wraps for too long now seeing more and more people are being exposed to it as we speak.

20. digitalforce

Thanks for the explanation and info Flux. I still stand by the idea as well that Blizzard needs to bust out the beta and release ASAP. It seems like they could "overtweak" and change entire systems over and over. Maybe I am over simplifying and my impatience is taking over :)

The only thing that worries me is that from what I can tell, the people "in the know" are more concentrated on the debates and changes instead of being excited for the game itself... excitement has seemed to turned into indifference.

Either way, I hope the forums are ready for the flood of info and debates. I, for one, don't really care for the niggles here and there, I just want a solid ARPG with Blizzard polish with some great loot... :thumbsup: