Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

small computer brand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by NASE, Jul 26, 2010.

1. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

small computer brand

Hi,

This isn't a rant, although it could be. I'm really getting fed up with large companies. They always try to screw you over somehow by trying to control everything. I just can't stand it any more.
    There was this thread about ps3 operating system thing, the software on my sony tv completely. It costs like €10 to get decent software though they are do damn cheap to install it. And then there is the whole i-tunes, i-pod thing that is so ****ed up.
    Anyway, this is starting to look like a rant so I'll stop.

My question is easy. We need a new colour printer, preferably something that can replace our old hp deskjet. No need for a laserjet.
    So, does anyone knows of a good small company/brand that make printers. Though one doesn't try to screw you over, that still has the best interest in their customers and not just their own gain while still being cheap and offer modern technology. We really need networking functionality.

P.S. And while we are at it, maybe someone can advise my a computer company, our old pc is going to die one of these days (and if it doesn't, maybe I should put it out of it's misery).
    I'm planning to try and get an IBM as that seems like a smaller company. Though I'm not sure. Maybe Compaq, or something Asian?
    P.P.S. And now that I have your undivided attention anyway, does anyone has an hp 1020 laser yet and has you been able to get it to function on a printer server?
    They we to damn cheap to install good hardware so that printer needs to be connected with a computer or it doesn't function, or something strange like that.
    The cheap bastards.
    P.P.P.S. He, guess what I found on page two of my google results when searching for small computer brands?
    Oh yeah, a diablo 2 reference.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=small+computer+brands&hl=en&ei=IVNNTMq1DZyI4gb-5MWaDA&start=10&sa=N

2. Mikachu

Mikachu IncGamers Member

Re: small computer brand

I wouldn't get a Compaq, they overheat really easily. I actually got burnt with one >.>

It died 7 months in anyway. But maybe I'm just unlucky :S They are just kinda awkward imo.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You will have to decide between cheap printers with expensive ink and expensive printers with cheap ink. The decision obviously depends on how much you are printing.

Regarding a PC, decide how much money you are going to spend. You want a cheap computer, so let's say it's $300. Then google for "test computer $300", find a test which compares a couple of computers which is halfway up to date, made by a renowned magazine. Then get a few further opinions from other tests (don't have to be comparisons).

IBM and Compaq are pretty much the opposite of small companies. If you want a "small brand", you can buy a computer which is assembled by a hardware seller. They often allow more custom-tailoring and you can often buy them without an OS, in case you want to keep on using your old Windows license or install Linux.

Cheap stuff has a higher chance to be crappy, although it doesn't have to be like that in any case, of course. There's also expensive crap :smug:.

4. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Definitely cheap printer expensive ink.
    Though the question is what brand. HP, brother, cannon, epson...
    So many choices.

That's probably a good idea. I'll look into them.

5. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I've had some good experiences with HP printers, although most of those were work related, so I don't think those were the cheap printer expensive ink type. Although a couple of the smaller ones might have been.

Maybe try and look up some reviews and such after figuring out what you want out of your printer.

6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

for a computer you can always build your own
    you can use your old os key or linux or buy vista/7

main things you will need
    case (you can reuse your old one)
    power supply (you will need a new one, unless yours has the 20+4 pin mobo connector)
    processor (amd or intel)
    motherboad (that will fit the processor type)
    memory (that will fit the mother board)
    hard drive (sata is the new standard)
    cd/dvd drive (you can reuse your old one if necessary)
    video card (if the mobo does not have one, or you want to play newer games on it)

i just built a system for my nephew, was about 350 (after rebates and discounts)
    got him this

micro atx case with power supply $50
    am3 ddr3 motherboard with ati 4200 $80
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 $62
    4g of ddr3 1600 $100
    500g hard drive $50
    cd/dvd burner $20

using an old copy of windows xp it runs everything fine
    even plays crysis on low settings @ 720p (1280x720)

7. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

I am looking at a canon at the 'aldi'. All in one for just €80, and it can't be that bad from canon right eventhough it goes against my principles.
    To bad it doesn't have network compatibility.
    http://aldi-bn.aldi.be/OFFER_BN_MI/OFFER_30/OFF01.SHTML

As for the HP, I know those are the standard printers everyone has. And for that reason it's a huge company and not one of the smaller I'm looking for. And I would like to continue my battle against the system if possible, so I'm looking for smaller distributors.

8. korialstraz

Oh snap I almost forgot to mention a brand I saw the other day... and now I can't for the life of me remember the name. Haven't heard of it before, so don't know if it just isn't that popular in Norway or if it's a smaller company. I'll let you know if I can remember the name though! ;)

9. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Some printers also come with wireless connections these days. I use a Canon ip5300 ink jet, it was cheap however the ink isn't. It prints duplex and can print on printable cd's. Its a color printer and doesn't consume to much desk space. So in a nut shell its just right for me, that's the reason I bought it.

Brand name computers are good for saving you time researching parts. Its a hard process doing all that stuff and no matter how well informed you think you are there is always something you forget to find out. Though there is something satisfying that comes from choosing what goes into your computer.

10. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Do you mean this one?
    http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/printers/inkjet/pixma_ip5300/index.asp

From what I understand, the above printer doesn't offer any networking capabilities. Evenmore, it says that usb support can only be guaranteed when connected to a (windows) pc. Which makes me believe it's one of those strange firmware download printers so it won't work on a printer server either (like my hp 1020).

And I assume you are lying to me so cannon is doing what they do best, and that's screwing people over.

11. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

I don't know what networking capabilities adds, attach the thing to a server and make it accessible to all. This printer (5300) isn't wireless btw, other ones like it are. Lying about what?

12. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

13. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Most have misunderstood what you were saying.
    Though without network card, it's not really all that interesting.

All I want is a simple 4 or 5 cartridge inkjet printer with a network port for a good price without overpriced cartridges. You'd think it would be easy to find though it looks like it's not.

That's sharing from computer to computer. Meaning that both computers need to be on. And that's not very practical. We have it now and it's really annoying. I have to run down twice. once to put the computer on and once to my prints.

[edit]
    It looks like HP is actively support the compatibility with Linux.
    Me like very much.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  14. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

15. korialstraz

This is probably WAY late, but just saw a printer again with the brand I was thinking of. Sharp!

It's probably not a small company though, since they're making some pretty huge printers for offices and such as well as printers for private persons.

16. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

!!!!!!!! You're kidding, right?

Yep.

This is what I would advise. I've never bought a desktop prebuilt, and I probably never will.

You can also try System 76. It's a small (I think) computer retailer that builds computers with Linux. I don't know if you're set on using windows for this computer, but if you're not, then you should have a look. Linux takes a little getting used to, but it's only a pain to use if you install it yourself on odd hardware.** If you buy one from System 76, then everything will work out of the box. I'd also expect that they could offer help on setting up a samba server if you need to share files with a windows machine.

** For example, getting everything to work on my tablet took a little bit of effort, but it wasn't too bad since thinkpads are pretty popular and a lot of the work has already been done. A standard desktop usually works out of the box with linux; at least that's my experience.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  17. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Why does everyone go in a frenzy when I wrote this.
    IBM is smaller then dell if you ask me. So it is smaller, so I didn't wrote anything wrong.

Gee guys, take a break will ya.

The problem is that I suck at hardware. And assembling isn't always that simple. Certainly the cpu is something one should take care of. Though I can always ask one of computer science friend, they should know how to do that.

I'm going to bookmark that site, seems good. Even though getting it to Europe and convincing my father might pose a problem.

As for linux, I have it now on my laptop and I don't really know what to think of it. It is faster, though at the same time, it feels unstable and quite a hassle to get certain things working like they could/should. Not to mention problem integrating it with windows machines in the network - though maybe that's just me, still need to finish that linux book I lend from a friend.

P.S. And for those want to know, I ended up buying an hp (printer). And it's quite good. It's just a bit annoying as it keeps on asking for stuff, though it was installed from my fathers pc so it's his problem and not mine. And for some reason, it appear to only print it's own test picture in high quality. The quality of our photo's is disappointing (although that could be because of the quality of the photo's itself rather then the printer).

@ korialstraz: I've been surfing around on the site of sharp and it seems like a lot of overkill for a home printer. I appreciate the gesture though.
    @ krischan: I've tried to find some of those hardware manufacture pc's and it seems not that easy to find. You mean pc from intel or amd right?

18. korialstraz

Yea I figured it would be overkill, but you never know, so figured I'd mention it.

Btw I just had Ricoh shoot into my head. I'm fairly sure I saw a printer with that brand. Havne't had time to google for it though, since I'm at work, but you could give it a shot. ;)

19. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Sorry about the frenzy.....it's just a surprising thing for someone to say given IBM's history (I assumed it was fairly common knowledge, but I guess the perception of an American company might be different in Europe.).

Which linux distribution are you using? If you want a balance of stability and ease of use, Ubuntu is great (it's built from Debian, which is pretty much the most stable OS there is).

It really isn't a big problem to share files and resources with windows, you just need to set up a samba server. I've never had to, but it shouldn't be too hard. But, if windows does everything you need, and you keep it defragged and such, maybe it's not worth the effort required.

20. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

It's history is there. Though is it really that big now?
    If I look at the computer market, it's all about dell. I don't know a single place they don't use dell. As for printers, it's all about hp. Laptops are dell, and a bit of acer/vaio.
    Though IBM? I only know about 2 IBM's, one is our old computer of 10 (or more) years old and the laptop of my brother. But that's about it.

I am using Ubuntu. And it indeed does some things very good. Though some things really aren't the say they should.
    I think it's just bad management or the transitional phase we are in now. If I recall correct, they have changed some of their core program and those are still in development as we speak.

[edit]
    And then there is the whole fiasco of trying to get ubuntu to work on my old computer. Though I'm starting the think that pc is haunted or has some personal issues with ubuntu.