Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

slows target cap

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by crb806, Nov 19, 2006.

1. crb806

crb806 IncGamers Member

slows target cap

i was thinking of adding blackhorn mask(slows target by 20%) to my hF a2 merc, that along with the decripfy from reapers toll would slow alot, is there a ca on how much you can slow?

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Yes, there is a cap to how much you can slow monsters. Blackhorns + HF + Decrep should not put you over that cap, however- and even if you overshoot the cap, the extra slows target is useful on EF baddies.

I'd highly recommend a Slowmerc. Very sturdy, and very fun.

3. Venrae

Venrae IncGamers Member

What about using a Kelpie Snare instead of reapers toll for 75% slow. and socket it with an Amn you still get 7% LL

4. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Personally, I'd recommend the Reapers for a variety of reasons.

The decrep, once it triggers, is Area of Effect (so if your merc keeps happily jabbing away at an already-slowed monster, the decrep will still slow down nearby monsters, too- whereas with Kelpie, you have to disengage and then re-engage or wait for the merc to kill if you want him to acquire a new target).

The decrep, once it triggers, reduces enemy physical resistance by 50%. This'll reduce the damage output of most builds by a very noticeable amount.

With all the slow you're already going to have, the 50% from decrep will work every bit as well as the 75% from Kelpie, but Reaper's is just a more versatile weapon.

Of course, there are other considerations, too. If you can't afford a Reapers, Kelpie will work fine. If you are reliant on other curses (i.e. lifetap) for survival, then Kelpie will work fine.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The problem with decrep is that it's a curse and it triggers with a 33% chance, overriding curses of a necro, Dracul's (most melee characters) and Atma's Scarab (strafer bowazon) all the time.

IMO an upgraded, ethereal Kelpie Snare is the ultimate weapon for a necro's merc. Versus groups he has to provide the might aura and stay alive while versus bosses he provides more slowing, in addition to the clay golem and decrep. All these kinds of slowing stack to such an extent that act bosses cannot even lift a finger, being utterly helpless against a necro. The only problem might be Diablo when your minions aren't in position and he releases he breath or fire snakes while not being slowed yet. A teleportation with an amulet or Enigma will solve that problem.

6. Venrae

Venrae IncGamers Member

what about throwing in a Doom on your switch to get the holy freeze aura. You can switch to it whenever you want that extra freeze.

Or will that cancel out some of your skeles because you'll lose the +skills from your weapon/shiled?

7. krischan

Yes, you might lose a few skeletons because of that, but their strength won't be affected. Anyway, instead of Doom I would rather switch to Beast, for the fanaticism aura. The benefits are far greater than the losses from 1-2 skeletons less.

8. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I agree that for Necros, Reaper's is a bad idea... but for most Necros, I would advise AGAINST dropping Kelpie on the merc.

Clay Golem is considered item-based slow, so it WILL NOT stack with the slowing from a Kelpie Snare. Worse, there's a bug where if you hit a monster with multiple different values of item-based slowing, they'll desynch like crazy. It's not bad with huge slowing values (say 60% from the golem and 75% from the Merc), but if you only have a slvl 10 or less Clay Golem (51% slow or less), the desynch can become very noticeable. You're better off just relying on Gumby to handle the item-based slow on a Necro, in my opinion. If you don't regularly use Gumby, then a Kelpie Merc is a great addition.

9. krischan

Hmm, I didn't know it's like that with respect to clay golems. In that case I wouldn't use one, I guess, although it's still a good one-point investion. A Kelpie Snare slows targets by 75%, after all, and a merc is probably far better at hitting hell monsters than a clay golem.

10. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Clay Golem doesn't have to hit targets to work. A Clay Golem applies his slow every time he (a) hits a creature or (b) *IS HIT* by a creature. As you can imagine, (b) happens a lot more frequently than (a).

The nice thing about Gumby is he spreads the slow around a lot faster than your merc does. Especially if you don't bother with the Iron Golem synergy.

11. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Kelpie is the ultimate bosskiller's helpstick though. Baal won't move when HF/kelpie merc starts to poke him. Got to love it!:azn: