Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Slowing monsters

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheNix, Feb 15, 2017.

1. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

It has been more than a year since I have created a mat/pat, so it is about time I corrected that. I am reviving my incomplete BoTD sept and in particular my tele-stomping slo-mo-mancer (with a bit of PNova on the side). I have been doing a bit of research and if seems to have the maximum efficiency slowing monsters I need to tick three boxes; slow from items/clay golem (Gumby - check!), spells (decrep - check!) and cold damage that is not holy freeze (umm...).

At the moment I'm looking at getting my cold damage via the merc, I always use a town guard and for this build I was going to try something different. The options I'm considering at the moment are a cold Irom Wolf with Spirit sword and shield or a Barbarian Voice of Reason sword (probably in a 2H sword). A cold arrow Rogue scout is also a possibly, the Rogues tend to be a bit flighty. What do people think?

2. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

It sounds like you need some more HRs incorporated into that build!!
    Code:
    Ice     
    4 Socket Missile Weapons     
    Amn + Shael + Jah + Lo     

100% Chance To Cast Level 40 Blizzard When You Level-up
    25% Chance To Cast Level 22 Frost Nova On Striking
    Level 18 Holy Freeze Aura When Equipped
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    +140-210% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Ignore Target's Defense
    +25-30% To Cold Skill Damage (varies)
    -20% To Enemy Cold Resistance
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    20% Deadly Strike
    3.125-309.375 Extra Gold From Monsters (Based on Character Level) 

3. TheNix

I looked at that, and I can make it too, but from what @stephan says here, HF and Decrep come from the same category and won't stack.

4. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

Hey welcome back!

Sounds like a cool concept for a comeback character.

In case you haven't already, this is probably an interesting read for you. It says that "the four sources (chill, hit slows target/clay golem, holy freeze, decrepify) are additive." I'm not sure about that.

Holy Freeze has a lot bigger radius than Decrepify anyway, so there's that.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  5. Mezion

Mezion Diabloii.Net Member

What about Arach? How would it work with what he's using? I mean does it still apply to your spells or only direct hits you do?

6. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

Good to hear from you TheNix, I'm still around, even creating a few new characters!

7. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Cool concept. Good luck :).

8. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Holy freeze is probably the most convenient, but I would say go with a cold proc weapon (if you're planning to use decrep) like voice of reason or something that procs frost nova because if you're going to use a iron wolf you're going to deal with completely frozen targets which defeats the purpose of emphasizing slow elsewhere :p

9. Parapsycho

Parapsycho Diabloii.Net Member

I've used Gumby and cold skeleton mages to good effect, but that takes points away from your poison skills.

20 Clay Golem
    6 Skeleton Mage
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    20 Decrepify
    20 Poison Nova
    1 point in prerequisites
    Rest in Poison Dagger/Explosion

That will give you 4 Skeleton Magi that chill for 15 seconds on hit, maxed gumby and decrep, and an OK Poison Nova (~900 damage over 2 seconds). It also frees up your merc to do other things, like use defensive auras.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

What about an upgraded ethereal Kelpie Snare for an Act 2 merc? How strict are you about only using Act 3 mercs?

11. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

Wouldnt the CTC Frost Nova on Ice work pretty well?
    Other option is CTC Glacial Spike on Death for an AV Merc. Maybe also give Vamp Gaze for cold dmg?
    I'd probably want CTC Frozen Orb though. So Rift AII merc, Voice of Reason/Bing Sz Wang AV merc would be ideal.

12. Naturallog

Naturallog Diabloii.Net Member

In my experience, the chill from cold damage has a negligible effect on bosses so I didn't specifically gear for it on my slow-mancer. Decrepify, kelpie snare, and clay golem will slow anything down to a crawl. I also only put one point in decrep, because the duration is fine with just +skills bringing it to ~10 or so. Rest went into a skeleton army, gumby, and revive. If I happened to summon a cold skeleton, great, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference with or without one.

13. onderduiker

onderduiker Diabloii.Net Member

Decrepify and Holy Freeze may both be skills, but they count as two separate sources of the four for slowing:
    They all sum but, since monsters cannot be reduced below 15% attack speed and 25% run/walk speed, all aren't normally necessary unless a monster receives speed bonuses. Slows Target and Decrepify are the least limited and most universally applicable, and your Necromancer can already get both from his own skills (as well as cold length from Necromages).

Slows Target only gets applied by attacks with weapons on striking (although a Clay Golem also slows when struck by a melee attack).

T72on1 and RickH like this.
  14. TheNix

Gee, this has come on a bit since I was last here; thanks for the comments. As this character will be a part of my BoTD sept, the necromancer will be wielding the BoTD, so that cuts out a number of options. I also love the idea of doing a bit of telestomping with a melee necro, a gumby, merc, a few revives and perhaps a skelly or two; so I'll use Enigma. This again cuts now the option a little. Also, being a melee necro, I've got to go for survivability first and that really only leaves the merc to play with. Being a telestomper, a melee merc makes more sense, and a HF Town Guard the most sense, but I do have a soft spot from a Barb with either Frostwind or Voice of Reason in a 2H sword. Decisions, decisions!

Timinator likes this.
  15. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

TheNix: how far in the game are you? my BoTD necro is in act 5 NM (no zod yet though ..) so might get parked when he hits 69.

16. TheNix

I've completed four of the BoTD sept, the remaining three are all in Act 1 Normal. Below is the list of them.

1. Heeeere’s Johnny, Frenzy Barb
    2. Rev_Quick, Avenger
    3. Lizzie, Enchantress
    4. DameDeMort, Blade Fury Assassin
    5. Axazon, Passives Amazon (unfinished)
    6. Unrak, Werebear (unfinished)
    7. Hugh_Encry, Slow-momancer (unfinished)

17. T72on1

I think if I ever do a BotD Necro, it will be one wearing Andy's as well, and synergizing the Poison Nova procs from both items.

18. TheNix

That was going to be my next question; will Pdagger and pexplosion synergise the Pnovas from both items (assuming there are no hard points in it)? Guess it does!

19. T72on1

20. TheNix

And Andy's 20%IAS would free up the gloves for Trang's and its +25% poison damage!

T72on1 likes this.