Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Slow Stacking

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by engoldin, Jun 24, 2008.

1. engoldin

engoldin IncGamers Member

Slow Stacking

I comb these forums frequently and have yet to come across a guide that answers some of the questions I have about the SLOW effect, and specifically, about multiple applications of the SLOW effect on a single target.

So far as I can tell the following account for the available sources of the SLOW effect:

- Clay Golem
    - Holy Freeze
    - Cold Damage
    - Decrepify
    - Hit Freezes Target (maybe)
    - Slows Target By X%

What I want to know about each of these effects is:

- Do they slow other players?
    - If so, what do they slow? (FRW? FHR? FBR? FCR? ETC.)
    - Do they stack with other sources of slow?
    - If so, which sources stack with which?
    - If so, how do they stack? (multiplied? added? forumula? effect on duration ETC.)
    - Do they overwrite other sources of slow?
    - If so, which sources do they overwrite?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

Re: Slow Stacking

i will try to give you some answers:

should be so, but i dont know how efficient this this is compared to monsters.

should be the same as when you get decrepified by baal or frozen by some other monster: walk, attack, recovery, but not casting (at least i think its uneffected; seems to be so at least when frozen).
    its not the "faster" that is slowed, but the total speed, but im sure you meant that.

slow, freeze, decrep for example stack. look here under clay golem:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=325107
    clay golem slow formula is mentioned by RTB some posts below.

3. engoldin

Thank you for responding carnivore. I'd like some more definitave answers both to my questions and the ones that carnivore raised about reduced pvp slow effectiveness.

The answers to these questions could speak in favor of an extremely viable PVP strategy both in 1v1 duels, but more prominently, in team duels.

4. SinousSiren

SinousSiren IncGamers Member

TitanSeal's Weapon Speed Calculator can tell you at what speed a character or wereform can attack at, if it's been cursed with Decrepify Curse and/or an enemies Holy Freeze Aura. Very helpful figured out your own weapons attack speed breakpoints if your own character is hit with Decrepify, Holy Freeze aura as well. ;-)

Each of these can be applies to character's animations of FRW & Attack Speed (IAS), however the hit freeze target modifier only chills a character in PvP not freeze a character.

Chill from Cold Damage will slow a Character's FRW by 50%. Run/Walk Speed by -2.00 yard per second; Charge speed by -4.50 yard per second. Decrepify Curse on a character in PvP or PvM will slow FRW by the exact same amount as Chill from Cold Damage will: Run/Walk Speed by -2.00 yard per second; Charge speed by -4.50 yard per second.

BaseWalkSpeed for all characters is 4.00 yards per second. There's a minimum cap of 1.00 yard per second FRW for all characters, whether in PvM or PvP. The Walking Speed formula as was found by Tommi Gustafsson is:

EffectiveWalkSpeed = BaseWalkSpeed * (1 + Skill_FRW / 100 + (Item+FRW * 150 / (Item_FRW + 150)) / 100 + Armor_Speed / 100)

BaseRunSpeed is 6 yards per second.

EffectiveRunSpeed = BaseRunSpeed + BaseWalkSpeed * (1 + Skill_FRW / 100 + (Item+FRW * 150 / (Item_FRW + 150)) / 100 + Armor_Speed / 100)

or if simplified is:

EffectiveRunSpeed = EffectiveWalkSpeed + 2 yards per second

Charge FRW formula is:

ChargeSpeed = 9 yards per second * ( 1 + Skill_FRW / 100 + Armor_Speed / 100)

There is no lower limit to ChargeSpeed. It can be even negative. Charge FRW speed is un-effected by item based FRW, according to Tommi Gustafsson.

FCR will not be effected by cold damage, decrepify curse. Unsure specifically about interaction of FCR with Slows Target By X% and Holy Freeze aura on a character in PvP; however I do not believe they will effect a character's FCR. Anyone else have better data on FCR in PvP?

Yes, they all stack by addition. Clay Golem slow x% + Cold Dmg + Holy Freeze + et la.

Hit Freezes Target in PvM will freeze some monsters, but not all. In PvP, Hit Freezes Target (maybe) only chills.

5. engoldin

Very helpful, thankyou.

Do you think that the damage is king mentality/performance is too devastating to validate high slow strategy as a melee? In other words, is it worth slowing a target when you could effectively slow that target by 100% by killing it?

As a ranged character, obviously the dynamic is completely different, though less so, in light of FCR's immunity to slow effects and the prevalence of the Enigma runeword.

6. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

an oppoenent at half speed multiplies your chances to win:
    fhr-lock, significantly lower damage outputmon his side, less likely to run away or dodge...

casters seem to need a complete different strategy. at least unless you can pin them down.

remark: somehow i had to read your post three times to get it. remember that a good part of us forumites arent native speakers :scratchhead:

7. SinousSiren

SinousSiren IncGamers Member

Not mentioned by carnivore, but against casters one tactic a person could use is to use an auto-hit, auto-aim skill; and/or possibly force the caster into a mob of mana-burning monsters. No Mana = no teleportation ^^

Of course FHR and FBR locks are another legitimate way of stopping your enemies movement. So you have more opportunity to win the duel, all things being equal.