Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Slow hard disk access when running Pindle

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Cygnus, May 1, 2008.

1. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

Slow hard disk access when running Pindle

My Pindle runs times have crept up slowly. About 9 months ago, I was averaging 21 seconds a run (with my zon) and today it's 25. It takes 7 freaking seconds to save and start a new game. Besides the 2 seconds it actually takes me to press a few keys and do a few mouse clicks, there is a very noticeable freeze when saving and another while loading, after I've selected the char and difficulty.

Any half-way decent OS should be batching up disk syncs but I'm running Windows :rolleyes: I checked disk fragmentation, which seems all right (I last defragged my disk about 3 months ago)

Any suggestions from the techies out there is greatly appreciated (besides recommendations to buy a new computer, switch to Linux/Mac, etc.)

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Slow hard disk access when running Pindle

Obvious D2 Stuff:
    windowed, no-sound mode (you probably know this already, ask if you don't)

Window's Stuff:
    Have you emptied your recycle bin lately?
    How much free disk space do you have?

However, my guess is:
    What crappy, resource-eating application have you installed in the last ~9 months? <especially an application that has a "startup" process to ensure it's running when your computer is booted>. Everything (and it's grandmother) likes to add itself to your Windows startup-process these days - even if it doesn't need to be anything that starts automatically.

I'm not sure if it works on all Window's OS systems, but you can get a good idea of this by starting the "run" application from your Start Menu, then typing "msconfig". It should start a window, with a tab of many startup applications - and some of them might be obvious you can disable (AdobeProxyCrap, GoogleToolbarNotifierBS, MSOfficeDoNothingButMakeYourMachineLagApplication, etc). Reboot. If you disable something and it turns out you might actually want to have it in the startup process, then you can reenable it easily enough.

... just some ideas, but I don't know if any of them will help your D2 problem. They should help your overall comp performance some.

Microsoft Answer:
    The cause of your problem is unknown. It certainly cannot be one of our many excellent products. Odds are that your system is insufficient, so we recommend you send $300 to us so we can upgrade your OS to our greatest operating system ever: Windows 3.1. Even ~15 years after it's initial release, the product has more features than anyone could ever hope to document.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  3. EmperorMoo

EmperorMoo IncGamers Member

@sirpoops : you could try sending a copy of this to MS so they can tag it on to the EULA of their next Service PAck.

@cygnus: you could try turning the music off. That causes huge startup lags for me, for some reason...

4. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

lol @ sirpoops! I love it!

EDIT: Just to make sure this doesn't become a total spam, I tested out EmperorMoo's music theory, and it works a treat. Now my computer is an unholy gaming rig capable of destroying most computers by looking at them, but even on my system, there was a ~1.5 second improvement in load times.

5. moo-cow

moo-cow IncGamers Member

I actually have a copy of 3.1 sitting in my room on a high shelf so it doesn't get thrown out. Also have word 2.0 and some games from when i was 8. Still looking for a version of DOS 5.0 to install on, and a small enough hard drive.

edit: wow, that was really fast, first thing that popped up in google was a download link. now to see if i have any floppy disks...

6. Gorgrims

Gorgrims IncGamers Member

You might also want to get a proper disc defrag. Window's one is rubbish.

I have Diskeeper which rocks and made my comp very fast.

Also got CCcleaner which cleaned out old files from searching on the internet and old registry files from all the installations, i think.

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

CCleaner is an outstanding piece of kit. It's amazing what rubbish browsers leave on your drive.

I also use freeramxppro (google it, it can't be that hard). Great for freeing up bits of ram.

8. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

Thanks for the responses everyone :smiley: Disckeeper sounds just like the sort of thing I should try ... I had no idea such software even existed. CCleaner is something I'll check out as well.

I'm already running windowed, no sound and I don't let crapware I know nothing about/don't like run on my computers (that includes 'I ownzers you' software like Norton Anti-Virus)