Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Slightly OT : Werewolf 3D model

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Quietus, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Slightly OT : Werewolf 3D model

Okay, so I don't frequent the druid forum particularly often, but I'm sure there will be a few of you around who recognize my name from my occasional outings. Some of you may even remember that I'm attending a school for Video Game Design and Development, and that a part of what I'm learning is 3D modelling.

I've been itching for a very long time to do a 3D model of a werewolf. I finally have gotten started on it, and I think I'm doing fairly well so far - I've got the very basic shape of the body worked out, and I'm going to start on the head next. That.. is going to be a pain, I'm certain of it, because of how mobile it has to be.

I'm currently using a few screenshots of a D2 werewolf as reference, to get a basic feeling for the wolf's shape, and that's helped a great deal in making the model "feel" right. I wouldn't have been able to do the legs, with the extra-long ankle, without it. What I'd like to know from you guys is.. do you have any suggestions as to what sort of details I should add, when I get to that point? I'm thinking I'm going to go with one of three primary fur-colors, either dark grey, dark brown, or a sandy beige. If I go with either of the darker ones, I might put a line of much lighter grey vertically above and below his eye, like that scar you commonly see on anime characters, except it's just a different color in his fur. Outside of that, I don't know what details I'm going to use, exactly.

(Little warning - this paragraph is a bit technical) Also, if there are any other 3D modellers around here, I wouldn't mind getting some advice on how to texture in fur. My first instinct is to use a bump map with a black grain pattern to simulate it, but I'm not so sure how well that will work - anyone who can add a bit of experience-based advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

Now, here's a glimpse of what I have so far. Keep in mind that I haven't put ANY detail yet - I'm going to smooth out anything that has obvious lines in it, and the arms/body need a lot of work - the legs are the only thing that are pretty near to being finished, so far as the actual shaping goes. I'll smooth them out a bit as I work, but that's more or less how they'll look in the end, just with less lines showing and ultimately I'll add a furry look. And yes, I'm aware that he has no head yet. >.<

2. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

I think the werewolf from Diablo is a good example. The arms and hands should be longer on yours if you ask me. He should be able to go on all fours, and he needs long arms to keep up with his legs. The fur is probably going to be hard too, and I think you should go for something really menacing. You could do like a short, clean looking fur but straggly, long, and bloody fur would be more crazy I think.

3. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

hah i bet its gonna look awesome when its done , just please dont make his head look too apelike like most movies portray werewolves too look.
    hes gotta have a head shaped like a real wolf imo.

oh and if you want a reference on how anthropod wolves should look like check out the gallery at this website Goldenwolfen.com

4. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

5. stoutewolf

stoutewolf IncGamers Member

exactly my thought, it looks like blender :grin:

6. Valvolux

Valvolux IncGamers Member

Hey quietus you model is looking pretty cool, I would search for better werewolf examples then d2 tho, d2 werewolves look like rats. :grin:

7. pugilist

pugilist Banned

D2 has werewolves? since when? I want to remake my weregerbil into one :shocked:

sessy models man!

8. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Haha, thanks all - sorry about the long time in responding here, life's kept me away (plus a little more work on the wolf!)

I wont' be putting up updates too often, due to time restrictions, and the fact that most of my free time gets put into working on a class project, but whenever I feel I"ve made a big step forward, I'll update it here.

For those of you mentioning Blender... no, I'm using 3D studio max, version 7. I haven't updated to 8 yet... and they just came out with 9... man, they update that fast. When Autodesk bought up Maya, it didn't take them long to integrate the two. Very nice looking system, I'd love to use it... but I can't afford it on my home system, which is where I have my free time to work on this. :tongue:

Elohim - I'll take a peek at that reference when I get the opportunity. More reference is always good. :D

Lyrs - I may not be using Blender, but I'll take a peek at that when I can anyway. If they have steps, then I may be able to adapt that to Max and make something work.

::Edit:: Oh yes - about the face. I'm definately going for a wolflike look. Those short muzzles don't do anything for me.

9. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

I would recommend Blender as a great alternative. It's free and there's always improvements or new neat methods you can use. There's uvmapping, ramp shading, softbodies, fluid mapping, etc. etc.

And yes, you can import 3d studio max files.