Slightly OT: CD Key in Game File

Speederländer

Diabloii.Net Member
Slightly OT: CD Key in Game File

Didn't know which other forum this belonged in. I have a second D2 game installed on another comp but I don't have my CD sleeve after a move. I still have the game and the disk though. I want that CD key. Is there a file on my computer under the D2 folder that contains it? I looked but so far no dice.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
The key is encoded into the game files upon installation. You need a hack to retrieve it from the game files. I wouldn't trust these kinds of programs.

You can try to copy the whole Diablo folder and probably the entries in the registry as well from one computer to the other, but I'm not sure if it will work.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
You can try to copy the whole Diablo folder and probably the entries in the registry as well from one computer to the other, but I'm not sure if it will work.
Copying the .mpq files will do, as both the classic and expansion keys are stored in them. Jarulf mentioned once in which they were put, so you could search for that.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Same off-topic topic

RTB said:
Copying the .mpq files will do, as both the classic and expansion keys are stored in them. Jarulf mentioned once in which they were put, so you could search for that.
Would this also work for keys that have worn off the sticker on the jewel case due to Blizzard's marvelous use of disappearing ink? If the CD key is imbedded at the time of installation obviously it wouldn't, but if it's included on the file on the disk then there shouldn't be a problem when installing, correct?

TheJarulf

Banned
krischan said:
The key is encoded into the game files upon installation. You need a hack to retrieve it from the game files. I wouldn't trust these kinds of programs.

There is nothing in the register regarding the cd-keys, so no need to mess with it. The CD keys are inserted into two different mpq files (one for standard game and one for the add-on I think). There is no need for any "hack" at all, you just need a normal file archieve viewer that handle the mpq format to extract the two files (and/or insert them). To get the actual CD-key though you need to decrypt the filels probably though.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Sure, but copying the directory isn't a regular installation. It might work anyway, but if it doesn't, you could try copying the registry entries.

Ax2Grind said:
Would this also work for keys that have worn off the sticker on the jewel case due to Blizzard's marvelous use of disappearing ink? If the CD key is imbedded at the time of installation obviously it wouldn't, but if it's included on the file on the disk then there shouldn't be a problem when installing, correct?
All CDs are the same, so its contents together with the entered key will produce the necessary files upon installation. Making each CD different would make the CD production 10-100 times as expensive, I guess, and you wouldn't have to enter the key anyway then.

BTW, I can't imagine that the ink disappears completely. There should be enough traces left to be able to read it well enough. Did you perhaps expose the CD case to bright light for too long ? You should never do that with any printed material and especially not with CDs.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
OK, someone made a very good program, cdkeygrab or something, which work with D2/LOD/SC/BW/W3/TFT that displays the cd keys that are sent to blizzard for verification during battle.net logon. It works perfectly if you have your game still installed. It works even if your cd key is banned. It does NOT work if you don't have an active internet connection, and it also does NOT work if the game doesn't work anymore (since you must attemt to logon to battle.net)

Try googling it.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, but it did

krischan said:
Sure, but copying the directory isn't a regular installation. It might work anyway, but if it doesn't, you could try copying the registry entries.

All CDs are the same, so its contents together with the entered key will produce the necessary files upon installation. Making each CD different would make the CD production 10-100 times as expensive, I guess, and you wouldn't have to enter the key anyway then.

BTW, I can't imagine that the ink disappears completely. There should be enough traces left to be able to read it well enough. Did you perhaps expose the CD case to bright light for too long ? You should never do that with any printed material and especially not with CDs.
Unlike writing with a pencil on paper, when the graphite wears off there are no indeleble marks or indentations in the form of letters and numbers on the sticker to give an idea as to what it was. The human hand has enough oil on it that, given where the sticker was placed (right on the edge of the jewel case near the opening where you put your thumb), it was bound to wear off.

Call me a conspiracist, but in the printing business they know what kind of ink can be affected by normally-occurring hand oils and erase it from certain surfaces, like glossy paper (in this case with adhesive on the opposite side to form a sticker), so for Blizzard not to be aware of this is beyond an oversight. With all the other things that Blizzard has done, is doing and probably will do, it seems they either didn't care about or intended for this result, either to force me to buy a new copy or another game entirely... like WoW?

Either way if I ever reformat I'm screwed.

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
helvete said:
OK, someone made a very good program, ****** or something, which work with D2/LOD/SC/BW/W3/TFT that displays the cd keys that are sent to blizzard for verification during battle.net logon. It works perfectly if you have your game still installed. It works even if your cd key is banned. It does NOT work if you don't have an active internet connection, and it also does NOT work if the game doesn't work anymore (since you must attemt to logon to battle.net)

Try googling it.
actually that one is considered a 3rd party program and is considered a no no here....there is a high risk of having your cdkeys AND accounts stolen by using these programs....can you guess why you need to logon to bnet for these programs to work? perhaps it has something to do with entering your password?

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
superdave said:
actually that one is considered a 3rd party program and is considered a no no here....there is a high risk of having your cdkeys AND accounts stolen by using these programs....can you guess why you need to logon to bnet for these programs to work? perhaps it has something to do with entering your password?
That program specifically states that you don't need to login, all you need to do is attemt a connection to battle.net, so that battle.net will ask for the key(s) for verification (and in this process, the keys are decrypted and sent, and thus much easier to get a hold of).

Of course it's a 3rd party program, but so is ATMA and a lot of smaller programs such as the winkeydisabler. Never heard anything about it being a no-no? Anyone know for sure?

Argh, can't remember it's name, but if it's forbidden, that's probably for the best...

[cK]Extreme

Diabloii.Net Member
No, no, no, and no.

You make a .iso file, virtually mount it to your drive using Daemon Tools, and you're done. There is nothing too it whatsoever, I havent inserted an actual game disk in well over 5 years.

TheJarulf

Banned
[cK]Extreme said:
No, no, no, and no.

You make a .iso file, virtually mount it to your drive using Daemon Tools, and you're done. There is nothing too it whatsoever, I havent inserted an actual game disk in well over 5 years.

If this was in Swedish, I would say it is a "goddag yxskaft". What does this have to do with anything related to the question posted (or if you look at the thread, the post it was replied to?

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
@ TheJarulf: God dag, mann. Økseskaft = jævla bra eventyr!

BTW, anyone know if that program I was talking about actually is no-no on these forums, or if I can point to it?

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
helvete said:
@ TheJarulf: God dag, mann. Økseskaft = jævla bra eventyr!

BTW, anyone know if that program I was talking about actually is no-no on these forums, or if I can point to it?
I believe that program is not allowed here. Check with a mod to be sure though.