Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skill points vs Rainbow facets for light sorc

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Deepstrike, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Deepstrike

Deepstrike Banned

Skill points vs Rainbow facets for light sorc

What would do more dmg for a light sorc if i stacked 5/5 light facets in my helm body crystal sword and shield or if i stuck with my current shako, CoH, hoto and spirit?

2. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

Re: Skill points vs Rainbow facets for light sorc

Interesting question. One answer would be that, if what you wanted was more damage only, the facets would definitely get you more of that.

But, there is always a but. Without the increased cast speed from HotO and Spirit, your casting speed would be slow, and teleporting would be seriously impaired. Without the resistances and life from CoH and Shako, you'd be fragile and death-prone. What you would win in damage would cost you in survivability.

My opinion would be to drop the facet idea. The damage it would give you would not be worth the slow teleporting and constant deaths.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That depends on the lightning res of your enemy and on how much fcr you have.

The main advantage of lightning facets on a sorc is their -res while their +dmg is added to the already huge mastery bonus, so won't do that much in addition. You can add 17 facets which is -85%res. I think that hitting the 117% fcr breakpoint together with the skill bonuses of shako, Spirit etc. (and all the other things these items offer) is better than 17 facets. Your resists will probably suffer a lot if you lose 95-105% from HotO and CoH, for example.

4. Deepstrike

Deepstrike Banned

Yea I had thought about the lack of resists and HP i must say. Not sure if the damage the damage will be much greater or not. Perhaps if i was to get some lifer sc's and res sc's that would reduce the need for my gears resists and life.

5. Feysal

Feysal IncGamers Member

One option would be to have an alternate equip on switch. Keep your current gear in use when you're moving around, and switch to the faceted equip when you encounter something particularly resistant to lightning.

6. Deepstrike

Deepstrike Banned

Thanks, does anyone know how if the facets will give alot more damage or just a small amount more? Or is the main thing with facets is it's -% to enemy res? Do they also help against immunes?

7. krischan

As I said, the main effect is the additional damage they will deal by lowering enemy resists. They won't break lightning immunity, however, only conviction and lower resist can do that.

I don't think that using so many lightning facets is worth it in PvM.

8. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Also, you cant get enemies below -100% light resist

Infinity gives -85% enemy resists already. That means 3 +X/-5 facets are always useful, but any more than that and some enemies will start to hit that -100% cap and more facets are pretty much a waste against them.

The only exception might be immunes, for whom -res only works at 1/5th strength. But even then, I'd recommend having Crescent Moon on switch...-35% LR on Crescent Moon is better than the -30% you get from 6xRBF, and a lot cheaper to boot :)

9. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

On the topic of immunes, the -res from equipment will not do anything to lower the resistance unless the immune is actually broken. Same as with the bonus from cold mastery. It's only when actually broken by infinity/lower resist curse that the 1/5th strenght comes into effect.

10. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

I say go 3/20 lite eschutas with 5/5 facet and 15/20 griffs with 5/5 facet. Wear coh armor for resist a +2 skills. Light mastery adds too much damage comparing them to 5/5 facets in weap/monarch/armor/helm.

You think 30/30 crystal>3 skills/25/5? Well I do not think it comes close just because of a little bit of -enemy light resist.

11. krischan

As said, -res does far more than +dmg because +dmg is added to the already huge mastery bonus while -res will be in a separate multiplicator. You only need any +3 Eschuta's and kind of -5 facets, although a good +dmg value on the orb itself won't hurt. Better save those with +5 dmg for javazons.