Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skill-point allocation at lvl ~90?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by St_Vitruvius, Jun 7, 2005.

1. St_Vitruvius

St_Vitruvius IncGamers Member

Skill-point allocation at lvl ~90?

My pala is currently lvl 90 and I have 1 skill-point to use. But where do I put it? I havn't max'ed out Holy Shield yet, so I could put it there. But the only difference it makes is, that I gain 25 seconds duration and another 15 % Defence Bonus.. not much, but allways helpfull..

I was thinking of putting just this one point into Salvation, just to be able to use it. But is that a good idea? My reasoning would be, that I get have an aura which most people don't eaven considder.. In large hell-games, with other paladins, others often has a better Con, a Defiance and Might merc equipped with Infinity. My merc is using Insight, so I don't want to put the point in Meditation. By putting it into Salvation I would be able to boost the resists of chars without max resist and help out mercs and other minions, too. But as I said, is that a good idea?

Does everyone has max resists on their own? If they does, then there is no point in using a skill-point in Salvation. I they do, I'd rather use it in Holy Shield and max it as soon as possible.
    Or more importantly: When in party-play, will people need it and appreciate it?

\St_Vitruvius

2. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

it would depend on what your build is and where the skill points are concurrently at. For a pvm party playing guy, another point in holy shield wouldn't be really worth it. However, there are times when casters like to die a lot thanks to gloams or their ilk, and the salvation tends to make their life a little easier, although it pretty much kills any offensive capability of your own. I would list your build and gear, and see what we can get from there to help you out.

--welt

3. St_Vitruvius

I play a paladin using a Hammerdin-build currently at lvl 90.

Skill-point allocation:
    Blessed Hammer: 20
    Holy Shield: 15
    Concentration: 20
    Blessed Aim: 20
    Vigor: 20
    Total in prereq.s: 7

My gear is this:
    Helm: Crown of Ages
    Armor: Guardian Angel (Upped, 1432 def, Um'ed)
    Gloves: Chance Guards (EDIT3: Just upped to exceptional)
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Shield: Herald of Zakarum (pdiamond)
    Boots: War Traveler
    Amulet: Mara's Kalaidoscope
    Rings: Dwarf Star and Raven Frost
    Weapon: Hoto

I use an Act II, Defencive merc from nightmare (Holy Freeze). He uses:
    Weapon: 'Insight', Colossus Voulge
    Armour: Shaftstop (Upped, pametyst)
    Helm: Vampire Gaze (pamethyst)
    (He needs the extra +20 str to use the weapon..)

I've got no skill-charms, just a mix of FHR, MF and defence and 'Vita'-charms.

I've got 196 str, 114 dex, 321 vit and 21 energy (misplaced a single point by mistake..) with bonuses from equipment. I deal 8150 avg. dam, have a defence of 14k with HS and max block, 1.2k life and 235 mana. I have 90 res all. EDIT2: I have +10 all Skills and +2 Combat Skills on top..

Hope that's what you were looking for..

\St_Vitruvius
    EDIT: edited to recieve notification upon replies..

4. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

not too bad. I would say go ahead and get redemption. You will wonder why you ever bothered with insight once you have even one point in that. Use it after you kill some monsters, and you will see why. as far as salvation goes, I would get taht too, because there are times when other hammerdins have higher concentration and then yours is useless.

--welt

5. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Redemption is a must for CS runners since merc dies really fast there and you need some support skill to fill your cups. Insight is really cool because it allows unlimited teleporting with enigma... nice when you're doing countess runs or rushing your friends mules, nn to drink pots at all. I'd recommend maxing Holy shield for the def and block bonus - always useful, especially when you're soloing around in various melee monster intensive areas. 15k def/75% block sure helps alot not getting hit :lol:.

6. St_Vitruvius

As for 'Insight', it also helps in almost endlessly casting BH.. so it's very nice..

Redemption, is that a party-friendly aura? Or does it only give my char life/mana?

\St_Vitruvius

7. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Redemption only works for you... it destroys any nearby corpses of dead monsters, and gives you life+mana for each corpse. Not such a great aura if you party with Necros but otherwise mandatory to survive solo.

8. St_Vitruvius

I guess I can use a single point in both Redemption and Salvation.. It's not such a large difference whether I max Holy Shield at lvl 95 or 97 :p

I mostly play with a friend whose char is either a sorc, a mele-druid, en elemtal druid or his upstarting barb. So no problems with Redemption there. The real trick was if other people, especially on Baalruns, have maxed their resistances.. But I think I'll got for both of 'em and se how it goes.. If it doesn't I can allways start my pala over.. ;)

\St_Vitruvius

9. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

Why don't you have a enigma? And also, why coa over shako?

Those choices would probally be best. After that, I have no problem with your gear.

10. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

sort of odd to ask "why dont you have enigma?" since the people in these forums tend to be legit and despise duped runes. thus, getting an enigma is not an option.

11. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

Well for one thing he has a hoto.

Even though he plays on ladder, he probally could get a enigma if he could get a decent res hoto.

And yes I know people on these boards like to play legit.(I do...)

12. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Depends on realm. Asia 1 you couldn't get a bad Enigma with 20 decent hotos.

St_Vitruvius : As people are saying 1 point in redemption is great.
    You could also consider putting points into Salvation or Resist Lightning for the passive bonus to max resists of 1% for every 2 skill points. Salvation is better since it gives to light fire and cold, but is capped at 85% so is no good with Guardian Angel. So you could consider 2 points into Resist Lightning.

Also try to get an eth Col voulge. 10 less strength and 50% more damage and they are easy to find. My merc currently uses an eth Insight Partizan since his level is still low to have enough for eth Col Voulge.

13. St_Vitruvius

Enigma is expencive. People are paying a minimum of 5-7 Ist's for the worst of 'em on Europe. And I just value the bonuses from Guardian Angel higher than those of Enigma. I get much higher res, same def, better blocking and faster blocking.. With Guardian I can get by with rediculusly little in dex. Ofcource it would be nice to be able to teleport in and out of danger, but I believe Guardian Angel increaces my survivability more than Enigma: As of now there really needs to be a lot of Souls to take me down..

I use Crown of Ages because it not only gives +1 skill, but also DR and res. By using Harlequin Crest I get another +1 skills, some life/mana and less DR than from CoA. But it doesn't give FHR, res or as much def as CoA.

I don't need the extra damage from another +2 skills, IMO. I allready do 8150 avg. dam. I'd rather not die than kill a little faster.

As for the eth col. voulge: I've yet to find one.. All those I find have between 1-3 sockets. :( But I thought eth only added dam.. apparently I was wrong.

As for the hoto: It've taken the most part of half a year to collect the runes for it.. I started playing D2 again in the autumn. Before that I haven't played it much since I bought it in 99-00.. Apart from that, then hoto is significantly less expencive than Enigma.

\St_Vitruvius

14. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

As for the skill, i agree about redemption or salvation, both are great.
    But about your stats. Your dmg is pretty low imo. I got a hammerdin, who has pretty low gear:
    Hoto
    2-pala skills rare amu with 18 str
    arkaine's valor 2 skills umed
    sandstorm treks
    magefists
    Zaka pdiamonded
    shako ptopazed
    Soj
    Bk4
    arachnid's mesh

And no skillers. With that setup my pally does min dmg of 10k. And he is lvl 87, skills:
    Max hammer
    max vigor
    max blessed aim
    max conc
    rest in holy shield/auras

So i think you should either look for more +skills in your gear, or Pala Combat Skillers (which are an ugly ist for a plain 1 in Europe scl). Since more dmg=more killing speed= more runs in less time/more exp in less time.

15. St_Vitruvius

Bk4 = Bul-Kathos' I assume..
    What weapon do you use? Wizardspike or something with +skill?

Well.. You've got +11 all skills, one more skill-point than I do..

\St_Vitruvius

16. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

5-7 Ist ! wow that's cheap. I could have had one a long time ago. Try 5-7 Ohm on Asia 1.

eth col voulge I rarely find with sockets. I add the 4 sockets using cube or Larzuk. And yes eth also means you need 10 less strength and dex.

17. St_Vitruvius

Mind you, that's for the worst of them.. The better ones go for a LOT more..

\St_Vitruvius