Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skellymancer, confusion!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by BreakThruX, Mar 14, 2004.

1. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

Skellymancer, confusion!!!!

I had my mancer all planned out: maxed mastery, maxed skelly, leaving mage at 3 and my gear will pump it by atleast 8 points and having like 10 or more in revive. Then this guy said i need maxed skelly and mastery and i need a maxed bone spear with maxed bone wall to get corpses for corpse explosion..........ahhhhhhhhhh what do i do? I got trangs gloves and armor so ill get fire ball is that good enough?

2. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

10 or more in revive doesnt seem a good idea to me.

3. Panders

Panders IncGamers Member

Don't need PnB to get first corpse, if you ask me. Merc + Act1, or Pindle's abundant garden of semi-stale meat should do it for you. However Bonearmor is nice. IMHO 1 in revive is more than enough.

4. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Don't bother with Mages or Revives, just get one point in Revive. Then either go with Bone Spear and Bone Wall if you have Marrowwalks, Bone Prison and Bone Wall if you don't. A few points in CE wouldn't hurt either, i.e. 10-15 with +skills gear.

5. BreakThruX

I dont have marrowalks im not THAT rich. I put 3 points in skele mage, i know a waste but i wanted 3 of them to level with. Ill put 1 or 2 in revive and the rest in bone wall/prison like you guys said. Will i be using CE frequently? Thanks guys, i was planning on decrep more than ce but this is my first necro since early-mid 1.9,

6. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Yeah, classic you need help with the first corpse. LoD...not so much, you have a nice big might merc to do that for you. Not to mention the convenience of being able to go to A1 or pindle's gaurden to get easy ones, another luxury nonexistant in classic...

7. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

CE is your end-game skill, period.

8. Mr_McGee

Mr_McGee IncGamers Member

20 SM
    20 RS
    20 CE
    1 in everything else its really up to you as long as u have ur bases covered. My fishymancer is lvl 81 and has ~13 spare skills points because I really have no place to put them :(

9. Unholy_VI

Unholy_VI IncGamers Member

I have done a few of these hardcore mancers in the last week.

2 have died, one is still going strong. I learned from my mistakes and this is what I came up with:

yes max skel and mastry of course
    revives, I put 5. I have 10 with my equipmetn bonuses.
    only 1 into mages.
    I'm now worikng on CE
    1 in all curse except lower resist and lifetap

I dont use bone walls/prison/armor.

as soon as I got into the mid 40's I shopped a +2 necro want at NM akara. a good one will of course have some plusses in things you use a lot.

I have found that once the going gets tough, the bone armor doesnt seem to help that much.

what DOES help, is having as many big tanks around as possible

this is why I like to have revives at around 10
    the skells always run top speed to whatever they see first
    then there you are all alone. not happy

If you have many revives especialyl of different kinds they will wander around all over the place presenting a target other than your little behind.

This is also why I use mages. They tend to hang out where you are. This is good. more things for bad guys to get distracted with.

I got to where when I'm in a dangerous area I usualyl dont use curses that much. I just walk slowly with revive selected and raise something now and then to keep my army from dying.

Point number 2 why its good. Those bonespear snake guys. if you have about ten of those raised the effect is pretty good on whatever you are fighting.

the last reason is that when i run baal solo it seems like the last pack of minions eat my skellies for lunch but when they are backed by 10 revies they own.

so even though everyone thinks they suck, I'll go with revies especially in hardcore.

10. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

It really isn't that they suck, it's that keeping more than 10-15 alive at a time is way more effort than it's worth. Most people recommend leaving it with just one point because they're planning on having enough +skills to get it up around 8 or 12. Revives die too quickly to make anything more than that reasonable.

Generally aim for 10-12 with +skills.

11. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

I have the same build as Mr_McGee, doing fine, but lots of points left.
    I still can not decide where to put them in.
    Maybe DIM vision, for the gloams, but when you go slowly, they are not a problem.
    Maybe in bone armor, for more safety, but i seldom have a close escape.
    And my merc always does the first kill, with a bonehew, nice weapon for him.

So any good suggestions plz.

:clap: 200 posts :clap:

12. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

With Trangs 1 point revive gets me 9 which is plenty.

Any Necro not using Bone Armor is a total discrace to the character! Bone armor is so invaluable its sick. I find it extremely funny someone who has built THREE skellymancers in a week or so because two have died is giving ANY advice on the build and you need to use Bone Armor!

Skellymancer dont "have to get" Bone Spirit or Spear, but it is a good skill for several reasons.

Boosts Bone Armor
    Can kill in Hell although a tad slow
    SOME things especially 2-3 bosses at one time can chew up skellies and Merc fast and Minions wont listen to your screams of "Not those guys, get the freaking boss" so with this skill you can get the boss!

Any, and i mean ANY Necro that doesnt have Lower Resists is simply built wrong! This skill is invaluable in certain situations and only costs a few points.

Any, and I mean ANY Necro without CE of at least one invested point should strip his items off and promtly commit suicide!

Any, and I mean ANY Nerco not using Bone Armor can feel free not to get lower resist or CE and they are already in suicide setup and he wont live long enuff to piss off all the people that know he is built wrong!

Any, and I meany ANY Necro with Maxed CE is still living the 1.09 Cow world mind set. Now lvl 30 CE is flat out sickly awesome but is totally a waste of 10-15 skill points for 95% of the game. The only places maxed CE is really usefull is the Cow lvl and some open places of which most the time your skelleis will 1-3 hit everything in these areas. If you want an all around good build dont waste these points here, put in to use elsewhere.

Any Necro using 3 invested points in Mages wasted 2 points, any Necro using 1-5 poitns in revives wasted 4! Mages stink badly unless maxed and you use the appropriate curse to help them kill. Revives will be 8+ easy with 1 point and having 4 more for 12 wont mean squat!

This build can go anywhere and kill anything with or without BO and can even do it when your Merc dies which can happen!

Max Skelles
    Max Mastery
    Max Spirit or Spear your choice
    1 Bone Armor
    1 Revive
    1 Summon Rez
    1 Fire Golem (my personal choice, clay will do)
    1 All curses (you can skip Attract, confuse ifyou want unless you know how to use them but they are EXCELLENT curses if used properly)
    1 Coprse Explosion (add to this later if you wish after getting all other skills. 1 point wiht enuff +skills is actually very effective)
    All remaining points go in Bone Wall or Prison to pump your Bone Armor. These two skills are also invaluable in situations especially againts big fast ugly nasty heavy hitters. They are also very dangerous to use "just anywhere" like an idiot as they draw all monsters within a certain range so be carefull!

Infecter of Souls in CS is one of the most dangerous spawns in the game. A few well placed Bone Walls before spawning can keep this always Extra fast pack of fiery death under control! Add a prison or two after the spawn and you wont have any worries.

Learn your builds, make them work and work well before spouting off advice!

BTW, I have TWO of this build in Classic where there is NO MERC to use and one in Xpac. The one in Xpac is so sickly easy to play he has been lvl 87 for over a month and I only pull him out occasionally to kill the nastiest of nasties!

13. Unholy_VI

Since this is aimed at me let me answer it.

both the now dead necros I did I maxed skellies + mastrey got the curses a little bith of CE then started with a point of bone armor and pumpining bonewall to get the bone armor going good and hopefully use the walls too for certain situations.

I changed that strategy and the new one kills faster, takes less hits and I'm sure he's going to have a long healthy life.

If you are getting +8 to revives from equipment, great. I get +5 from my crappy noob equipment.

and yes for certain situations lower resist is great... like when you are standing in the throneroom watching sorcs kill ball's minions. for doing things for yourself in hardcore like I do (Another reason I die) getting the enemie slowed by 50% and weakened by decrp owns LR in every possible way.

UH6

14. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Please dont think for some freaking reason you are the only person that does things "for yourself in hardcore".

Lower resist helps partys in many situations not some stupid throne room! I never base a build around a freaking throne room, or cows or whatever, I base it around the entire game from Act 1 Norm to the end playing solo or partied, wether casters or melee.

Decrep is the main curse I use and i am fully aware of its effects and advantages. BTW, there are a couple of curses that people normaly dont think of to use CE with and LR is one of them. CE is 50/50 Fire/Physical and LR helps the fire and is damn effective with CE! Decrep works with CE but is slow, decrep also doesnt remove Physical immune as well as Amp does. This game is now based around casting skills and very little melee. Just about every game one can go in has casters or some element that can greatly increase killing with a simple 1 point in LR.

+5 skills is plenty, 6 revives is plenty, lvl 26 skelleis wiht a might merc are very good, i was there when at lvl 80+, I got my trangs at like 85 as well as the Arm of King Loric, was using Umes.

My Classic Mancers have +3 and +4 skills respectively and no might merc! I know damn well what they can do, and with those +3-4 i have tha many revives also.

The whole key to this is lets give people advice on what succeeds. Advising no Bone Armor is advising running naked thru the gauntlet! Every point of absorb in Armor you have is a point of life of which Necros have so little as it is.

15. killerxbabe

killerxbabe IncGamers Member

I'd suggest taking a look at Xey's necro guide. His build is based around maxed sm/rs, bonespear, bonewall, CE (of course), 1 clay golem and 1 gm. My current HC nec is at 84 and built pretty much according to this guide.
    Lemme just say he rocks. Using Marrowalks (yes nice but not totally necessary) he has 850 absorb on bone armor and hits for about 1.5K spear with 200 MF in the pit. So why is this so great?

It's not just the obvious damage or the distractions of minions that makes the Necro such an insanely powerful character in 1.10, it's his ability to control the battlefield in addition to killing any type of monster. Skellies getting flanked by a new group of baddies? Bonewall so they can focus on the task at hand. Got a really bad LE eating everything alive when it get's hit? Bonewall to absorb the sparks, hammer with Spear, begin CE chain.

A decent spear let's you put the focus on the most dangerous monster in the field of battle at the time. Since it pierces, something else usually dies first at which point you can take down the big bad boss with CE from his dead minions or just keep BS'ing him to death. AND it's magic damage AND it synergizes your last line of defense (bone armor) which is also synergized by your main strategic battlefield manipulation skill bone wall. It just all fits so nice together that if your not doing some kind of a specific alternate build for (insert reason here) why wouldn't you want to go that way? Then throw a free lvl33 synergy when you find Marrowalks eventually. Which you will (or something of equal or greater trade value) when you started mosh pitting around hell with this guy.

edit: In addition to all this Necro greatness you get a Zonish decoy type thing called Golem that you can use to draw the baddies out of their hiding places. There may be certain situations where the Nec isn't the fastest, but at the moment IMHO he is THE best go anywhere kill anything character in the game.

16. doctor_wu

doctor_wu IncGamers Member

mistake

I'll promptly kill my lvl ** mancer for maxing mages, 16 revives and maxed CE! bye bye 1098 def eth skullders!

Cripes, I just didn't build him right!

17. Unholy_VI

Well this is the last I'll say on the topic becuase I'm not here to argue with you.

#1) dude. chill. so you have a different opinon good for you.

#2) whats the point of being so quick to jump down someone's throat becuase they do things different than you? The patch is still pretty new. Before LoD came out people were still finding new ways to do things in classic after it had been out for years. We know a lot about this new patch but I'm sure there is a lot to find out too.

#3 it looks like we agree on more things than we disagree on. the main thing is you think 5-6 revives is enough. and probobly it is but I think 10-12 is better. honestly, once I get CE maxed, there isnt anything better for me to put points into than bone armor wall and prison so at that point I will.

the difference in our builds is maybe 4 points i put into revives that you would put somewhere else and the fact that I dont bother with lower resist.

the difference in our philosophy is that I have had bad experiences leveling up with only 2 or 3 revives and trying to get bone armor maxed first so I switched with the idea that I'm gonig to get hit less and have more killing speed and more possible variation in my attacks.

so if you want to flame and call me a noob lam3r you go right ahead. but its stupid silly and immature IMO.

18. BreakThruX

I told my friend of the idea of maxing bonespear and he asked me what noobs im listening too. He said to max skelly, mastery, mage and revive and the rest is about the same.

19. Panders

Panders IncGamers Member

In the end this all comes down to opinion. Some swear by bone armor, some don't. Some revives, some don't. I don't think anyone is a "noob" for not thinking a particular skill has much use.

The best advice I think that you could be given aside from the basic builds and what they are capable of would be to build according to your style of play. Myself, personally? I have more momentary lapses into retardation than I feel comfortable with, so I like to have bone armor there to compensate. Others think those are points wasted, because of their play style and personal experience.

Experiment a bit dude, see what you like, and what fits you.

20. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Maxing Bone Armor is not the way to go, it is simply 1 point that gets pumped up buy other extremely usfull skills.

I also dont go around calling people noobs.

I take it to heart when people give advice that goes against the proven things when somoene who clearly doesnt know is asking for help. Advising not getting Bone Armor is simply an error but you find it doesnt work for you, but simple fact is it is irreplaceable! Damage reduction is so much a need for the Necro and you should know this as well as many others. Necro can go forever and not get hit and then simply one hit its over if he runs around without Armor.

Also, the character that is going to kill his full summoner at lvl ** simply cant read as this thread involves a SKELLYMANCER not a full blow all out maxed summon it all lag machine! Have a good day!

Simply for the last time, Bone Armor flat out rocksfor you people learning to make a Necro. Skellies just dont listen to commands and you have to lead them or inch forward until they see something.......leading means you get hit.....Armor is irreplaceable!