Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skellymancer blocking

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Wolfedude, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Skellymancer blocking

I have recently acquired Trang's set and am in the process of building another skellymancer. My question is how much blocking does a summing necro need? I mean you have a lot of shields in all of those skeletons & the merc & a few revives. You also have pretty good protection from ranged attackers with bone armor and the synergies - a pair of Marrowalks added to 1 pt in bone armor & 5 pts in bone wall has 615 damage absorb.
    So what do most of you guys do? Do you put anything into dexterity to add to blocking or do you just leave it alone?

2. AnubisXy

AnubisXy IncGamers Member

Enough dex to equip items, skellymancers don't need any blocking.

3. BtK-radth

BtK-radth IncGamers Member

i always max block, but thats just my paranoid ***.

4. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

No character needs max blocking, but nearly all the characters I make have max blocking.

For a Necro, you only get 2 life for every point in vitality, so IMO max blocking is more of a bargain than with other characters. Also, it's much more common to be standing still with a Necro, rather than running or attacking. Many other characters are constantly running or attacking, so their blocking is cut to 1/3 much of the time. Not so with a Necro.

5. Estrella

Estrella IncGamers Member

no need for block, with bonearmor and skellies they will never hit you.

6. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

..and this is why necros never die :uhhuh:

7. Flyte

Flyte IncGamers Member

...And max blocking is really supposed to save other classes from that Extra Strong LE Fanat boss pack around the corner. :uhhuh:

8. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I was plannin on maxing block with my Summoner because.. where else are you gonna dump stats points? You don't need much str, energy should remain untouched, and vit only gives you 2 life per point invested.

9. AnubisXy

AnubisXy IncGamers Member

pump vitality, those 2 points add up.

10. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Ive had max block save my a$$ enough times on my skelly mancer to swear by it. With homon i have max and still have over 1250 life with very few charms

11. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

The Trang shield has 60% block (IIRC) while the Homunculus has 72% block (the same as a Stormshield). A necromancer with Homunculus would have to have 222 dexterity at level 99 to achieve max blocking, which means roughly 200 stat points put into dexterity, leaving 310 for strength and vitality. Figure you want strength at 100, you use 85 points, leaving 220 for vitality, giving you 590 base life before items at level 99. You only get hit a quarter of the time (provided you're standing still), so your life is effectively 1000. Tack on bone armor and that's nearly 1500 effective life.

For a Trang shield user, you would need 262 dexterity for max block, which leaves 270 points to spend on strength and vitality. Figure that's 180 left for vitality, giving you 510 life before items, 890 after block and 1390 after armor.

With base dex, and 100 in strength, you have 420 points in vitality, giving you nearly 1000 base life. With a Homo, you have a 3.6% chance to block, making your effective life 1036, and then bone armor for about 1500 again. With Trang's shield, effective life from block is 3%, so a difference of 6 life, again about 1500 life.

So effectively in terms of getting hit for hitpoints, both maxing block and not maxing block are the same.

However, if you max block, you AREN'T GETTING HIT 3/4 of the time. So when you do come across that Fanatic, Might enchanted, extra fast, extra strong fire enchanted boss pack and one of them hits you for 10 000 damage, without block, it is certain that you are going to die. At least with the block, there's a chance you won't get hit and be able to survive.

Summoners do not get hit often. Maybe occasionally from a stray arrow in a large open place, but if you play cautiously, you will almost never get hit by melee monsters. But sometimes, just sometimes, it happens, and that's why I like to have max block.

One final thing to note for whichever route you do decide to take is this: if you do max block, try not to run around too much since that reduces your blocking to 25%. Stray arrows are easily deflected. If you didn't max block, make sure to always be moving, since there is nothing to protect you aside from bone armor.

12. rpgforumsnet

rpgforumsnet IncGamers Member

AnubisXy "pump vitality, those 2 points add up."

I'd say pump all into vita. Ever get hit by those black souls ? Or those hell bitches?

13. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

All the vitality in the world isn't going to save you from a hit that does more damage than you have life. Blocking will.

14. BattleCookie

BattleCookie IncGamers Member

My Skellymancer just hit the 90 yesterday and I have to say, that max block saved my life more then once. The best example is the stairs down to Baals Throneroom. If there are some Moonlords waiting for you, its very nice to have max block and not only 300 life more.

Well most player dont use this stairs, they just wait in town, till that sorc opens a save tp and then just stand around a little and cast lower resist from time to time. ;-)

So I would say, if you play yourself in hell, then you need max block.

BC

15. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

Oh it does, and blocking (= lost vit) won't.
    As a necro you get hit very seldom, mostly only one hit.
    With max block, you won't get hit 3 out of 4 times, but the 4th time you get hit.
    Then you should better have as much live as possible, to avoid the 1 hit kill!!!
    For all the other occasions you have your full revjs.
    So keep your life high and up, alway full red bulb in HELL.

16. Blood_And_Iron

Blood_And_Iron IncGamers Member

Listen to the man

That is the one reason you should always max vit when you have a lot of minions.

Magic and elemental attacks will hit a summon necro much more often than physical attacks. I recommend max res and max vit to make your necro live much longer.

No offense but the max block = 4x life argument is bull****.

17. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I have (3) skellymancers 86, 87, ** (2) Classic and none have dex! i will NEVER add dex to a Minion based Necro. Attempting to keep up wiht Max block withotu the best items only places you in the path of an early death where the max life keep you out of the early death probabilities.

Of all the characters i have ever made I have one wiht max block and I love that sorc, but it took a lot of investment and she is flat out loaded with my best charms. But the simple fact remains she is potential one hit from death REGARDLESS!

If you have all the gear to get your nice big life and max block then by all means go for it, if you dont then get max vita!

18. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

"giving you 590 base life before items at level 99. You only get hit a quarter of the time (provided you're standing still), so your life is effectively 1000."

Would you like to care to explain that mathematical relation? Also, same "effective" life only matters over TIME, ie, alot of non one-hit kills over time. The arguments could go on forever, only, I think Blood_And_Iron made a pretty good summary with his last sentense.

So: No block for a summoner. Arguing that no amount of life what so ever will save you from this and that is quite wrong because as stated above by alot of people, you will not get hit often, but WHEN you get hit, shield or not, you'll need those extra few hundreds of life.

The shield argument DOES have good grounds for some classes, but absolutetly not for summoner necros. In my opinion.

19. Lu The Confused

Lu The Confused IncGamers Member

man, you guys are missing the main point ...
    see, i hate having to look at the old 'Defense' readout hover thingy to see what my block rate is ...
    it's much easier to just throw EVERYTHING in vit after you get enough str to wear your gear and never have to worry about dex or blocking again!
    heh ... i only have like one HC goobah that blocks ... a pally
    even most of my barbs, druids, etc. go shieldless, but i don't play HC to live forever :p
    latah,
    lu

20. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Well Wolfedude you asked and you recieved. You recieved some personal preferaances for block / no block as well as some very well thought out reposnses (Silkweed). Ultimately the choice is yours and your style of play. if your the type of guy who takes 5 minutes to clear Eldric then maybe you dont need block. But if you are slightly reckless maybe block isnt a bad idea.

Personally i put more stock in the responses that are more stastical then the " your an idiot if you do this " type of posts that were listed in this as well.

My last necro died to a "Blessed Aim" pack of moon lords which max block doesnt save you from. But in the event something smokes your skellies / merc its nice to have.