Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skellimancer Merc Question

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by sad, Jun 1, 2005.

1. sad

sad IncGamers Member

Skellimancer Merc Question

How much damage does a might merc give to my skellies at lvl 84? I heard that skeletons hit only half the time at that level, so I wondered if the might merc would actually give greater damage than a blessed aim merc would (since blessed aim would help them hit so much more ). Also, if I decided to go melee then a blessed aim merc would help me hit much better than a might, and i could make up the damage easily enough with other weapons. So, is a blessed aim merc actually better for a skellimancer than a might one?

2. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I just assume that their might aura is maxed at 20 by then. Supposedly skellies miss fairly frequently but maxed might more than triples their base damage. With Arioc's +4, +2 armor, and a +2 helmet it more than quadruples the base damage. You'd have to convince me that skellies are hitting less than 1/3 to 1/4 of the time to make Blessed Aim worth it.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

As you can see in the The Mercenary Guide at level 84 a Might Merc will have a Might aura of level 17. At that level the Might aura gives +200% ED.

Skellies hardly seem to miss in Hell. I doubt it would be as efficient as it would seem to appear. When I have a bit more time I'll run a few calculations.

4. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

You can check how often the skeletons hit by watching the hit animations closely, if I remember correctly the to hit formula gives a big weighting to character level. Since skeletons inherit your character level they should hit often depending on where your character is questing.

5. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Some research has been done on this and the general consensis is Blessed Aim if you are below monster lvl, and Might once you are at or over monster lvl. Most say at lvl 85 is the time to switch to Might if you were using another type before. Yes it's a pain to lvl 2 mercs lol, but I have tried this and it works out fine if you have patience. Also, as most people tend to "rush", they are always below monster lvl and thus may get more use out of BA than Might..there was, or is a good discussion on this topic at the Amazon Basin website..not sure where to find it though sorry :( Just my 2 cents ;)

6. Pherdnut

I think I'd rather stick with the might merc than have to level another one up. The merc does fine at getting kills when the skellies are having trouble.

Hey, MM, I checked that guide out. Shouldn't 10/32 of 84 be more like 26 or something? I didn't realize mercs kept gaining might levels. That's awesome. Anyway, the best way to look at it is having another 10% damage for all your skellies for every +all skill you have on your merc. You could potentially get +80%

7. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Formulas for the 1.10 might merc:

Might level: (clvl-15)/4 (derived from Amazon basin table)
    Might ed: (slvl+3)*10 (derived from AS table, assuming linear progression beyond 20)

So, the merc aura will max out at exactly 20 (since it's rounded down, as always in D2) because he can't be lvl 99.

+Skills can raise this; this makes Ariocs needle an excellent choice, and since a Skelemancer merc needs a lot less protective gear than other types you can also choose from a wide range of +1 skills armors --- if you don't have +2 arkaines (are there other +2 armors?). Considering that the might aura boosts all your warriors, any +skill on the merc boosts your damage quite a bit.

In 1.09, the progression was different, and the might aura did go beyond 20 (as far as I know) without items.

Personally I also agree with one of the previous posters: I've never felt that my Skeletons wouldn't hit, so I never considered using BA. It's always been "Might, ASAP". Making a bowazon now, and intend to get Might as well...

8. Pherdnut

Ohhh. I must have been looking at a 1.09 thing.

Nope. That was 1.10. Maybe they just never updated that aspect of it.

9. Mad Mantis

Somehow I can't seem to find it. Where did you see this? The Excel spreadsheet that you can DL from that guide gives the correct level and Might frequency.

10. Myrakh-2

I may be wrong (I'm not a D2 developer/designer/support/whatever, and didn' RE the code either), but I tend to trust that Amazon basin table I used. The formula also gives the same result as MM (clvl 84 -> slvl 17).

11. Mad Mantis

That guide was made with a lot of help from the Amazon Basin mercenary tables.

12. sad

sad IncGamers Member

Okay, seems like might is still the best way to go. Where did you guys find the formula for the might level? I read the guide but didnt see it anywhere. Plus, I can always load up on steel and bronze charms if I need AR anyways.
    Thanks a lot!

13. Pherdnut

Well Blessed Aim may be a better choice earlier on but I can tell you that you'll get through the game just fine with Might and if either table is correct that's ultimately the one you'll want so you will save yourself the trouble of having to lvl your merc a second time.

14. Myrakh-2

Simple --- I looked at the aforementioned merc table, and noticed that Might gains one level for every 4 clvls. And since it's easier to manage I just turned it into a formula...

15. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

my last skellimancer used a blessed aim merc and it worked great. the thing i really liked about the blessed aim merc is when i was fighting uniques or bosses, they just hit him more often. i'd switch between amp and life tap to keep them alive a lot longer. the bad thing about skel is they hit rather slow, so u have to make every hit count.

16. Pherdnut

They should have been attacking at the same speed with a Might merc. Only Fanaticism increases their speed AFAIK.