Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skellimancer In Hell

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Wuzzbent, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Wuzzbent

Wuzzbent IncGamers Member

Skellimancer In Hell

Ok, I have a lvl 78 Skellimancer with about 35 RS and 35 SM and a few revives and mages. I built him with the intention of solo'ing baal and Diablo in hell.. Well I'm a bit dissapointed with my success. I understand a Skellimancer isn't a quick killer but I find my army just doesn't produce enough damage even with Amplify or Decrepify to take down a small pack of mobs. They mobs seem to heal as fast as my army is distributing the damage. I can't even get past the first decent size pack of mobs in the river to be productive.. I have tried every curse, etc, ie.. Any suggestions or help on what I'm doing wrong?

2. tl998

tl998 Banned

If you max mages, mages tend to focus fire a lot. That'll help you get the first corpse you need for Corpse Explode...

3. spuddogg

spuddogg IncGamers Member

Are you using a might merc (Act2 NM Offensive)?
    At that level of RS and SM, with might aura merc and a dose of CE you should be clearing mobs as fast or faster than any other char.

4. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

yea man might + amfy will give you godly damage :) with a decent ce you can easily clear anything. Or maybe some of those stoneskin extra strong + phy immunted.

5. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

are you playong on too high a "/players x" settings? from what i've heard you want to play hell in 1...

6. Brother_Maynard

Brother_Maynard IncGamers Member

i have a lvl 84 summoner (no curses, no poison, no bone) that can solo hell rather easy.

i have max golem mastery, skeleton mastery, raise skeleton, skeleton mage.i have only 1 point each into summon resist, revive and each of the golems. at lvl 84 i have 9 unused skill points (maybe i'll use curses when i get bored with pure summoning). with all the +skills gear i have like 15 skellies, 15 mages, 16 revives, and a lvl 16 golem of my choice. this tanks hell fairly easy. (i don't even use bone armor because i have loads of vita and i almost never get touched)

if your skellies need more time to kill, you could try terror etc. on the monsters just to stall. once u have your full army up it should be a breeze.

7. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Brother Maynard has an odd setup. It might be that he is making a IDB or an experimental build; either way, his success is in spite of and not because of his ignoring two out of the three available skills tabs. I think there are obvious benefits to using curses, especially the usual suspects--amp, decrep, lower resists, attract. Amp is especially important for breaking physical immunes.

I can't believe Maynard doesn't have a point in Corpse Explosion, the bread and butter of the Hell-bound Summoner. One point, at least, although I put 8 in altogether. Now that I'm out of skills to max (lvl **), I opted to pump CE to lower the # of casts by increasing the radius. Worth it? :shrug: Works fine for me.

I've never seen the point of maxing a golem. I have the obligatory point and can, when buffing, summon him at level 12 (and 12 Golem Mastery). That is, I think, just an average +skills buffing. (Oh, buffing means putting on as many +skills items you can when summoning to make the summons as strong as possible. Then you switch to your MF or resistance gear.) My golem rarely needs to be recast at that level, which means that I saved 19 valuable skill points I could put into something else.

Maynard, you say you didn't put any points in curses but then recommend using Terror. Are you using Leo to get that curse (it has a +to to Terror, right?)? And if you think Terror is a good curse, then you REALLY should try the ones I listed above.

Finally, I concur with the Might Mercenary advice. If you haven't gotten one, get one; however, you will have to level him before taking him to Hell. You'll hire him at ~lvl45, which disallows him use of the kind of items he needs to survive in Hell, not to mention his far too low hitpoints and resistances. You'll be doing a lot of Arcane/Canyon runs to get him to 60, the point at which you can start putting good items on him. Get him a Duriel's Shell, a Tal Rasha's death mask or Peasant Crown (Gaze if you're well off), and a Meat Scraper (or Bonehew/Tomb Reaver, if you're well off). That's up to 22% life leech and upper 60s resistances for all but maxed Cold. Do NM Baal runs until he's lvl70, letting him get a lot of the kills and making sure he doesn't die.

His Might aura will make a huge difference, one you'll notice as soon as you buy him, but at higher level he becomes the core of your army, being able to take out monsters faster than half of you other summons. When he's godly (Bonehew'ed or Tomb Reaver'ed), he'll just wander over to a monster, stab it, kill it, and wander over to another. Fun to watch. :)

8. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

Not really a experimental build as the pure Summoner -" the overlord" main concept is to max out the summon tree (including GM). Like myself there a few things I disagree with but there also a lot of players out there that has much success with this (yes having uncurses is a bit unusual) but there not really a right or wrong way.

What most important is that what ever works for you and your having fun.

:wave:

Kyo

9. Patryn

Patryn IncGamers Member

I got into hell at around lvl58, and finished it at lvl70 or 71. That's doing all the quests except about 2. I had no major problems with baal at all, with the exception of those damn burning souls. :( Even with them, I could still go through, clear the lvls, clear the minions, and kill ball solo. I've helped numerous people in act IV, and even with multiple people, I can still kill anything I come across.....it just takes a little longer. :)

nm might merc, 12 skeles, and lots of amp damage & corpse explosions. :) I'm now at lvl 93 and still killin. :)

10. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Ah. That explains it. :)