Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

skellies vs. normal DIABLO

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by NeoExdeath, Mar 26, 2005.

1. NeoExdeath

NeoExdeath IncGamers Member

skellies vs. normal DIABLO

I've recently strated a fishymancer and leveled him according to Nightfish's excellent guide. Exerything went fine until I reached normal diablo (I was at lv 30). I really couldn't do anything to him- 1 pink lightning annihilated my army (9 skellies+clay golem+prayer merc). I have used decrepify curse on him and had level 3 (2+1from wand) SR as it was suggested in the guide.

Finally, I've created a game and had his **** kicked by a team (go sorcies :D ) , but still it's disappointing that I was unable to do it myself. Any hints would be appreciated.

Oh, and my equipment: +1 to necro skills want +1 to RS necro head and other less useful stuff (my 1st ladder char at the moment- i couldn't get better things, and besides isn't skelliemancer an item-independant build?)

Skills were as follows:
    22 RS
    6 SM
    2 clay golem <- doesn't slow down that much
    2 golem mastery
    3 SR
    2 amp
    2 weaken
    2 terror
    2 decrep

2. Throttle

Throttle IncGamers Member

If possible, and if they can survive it, try have your golem and/or mercenary stand on one side while your skeletons are on the other side. This is probably kinda hard to do since minions seem hell-bent on doing exactly what you want them not to do, but if you can manage this, his lightning hose and firestorm thingy will only shoot either one, and he should probably be hitting your merc since he does more damage than a skeleton or golem.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Normal Diablo is probably one of the worst foes for a fishymancer...but don't worry things will get much easier later on. You really need to get some +skills to make this build shine...As you said clay golem doesb't slow very much, skellies are kind of weak and curses have zero duration/radius which is very annoying. I'm not really sure about hints...if you could get your hands on some crushing blow, act bosses will be much easier...Rattlecage comes to mind. Other than that go back to act1 and summon a new army and try again:(

When people say that skelliemancers are not gear dependant, that's not quite correct...a naked skellymancer will have lots of trouble in Hell...it's true that a skellymancer doesn't need top notch gear like most other characters to do well in Hell, but they do need some +skills to be effective. Back in 1.09 people we're always saying that a javazon could kill with cracked javelins, that was also kind of true but manaleech would be a huge problem...people tend to oversimplify things...don't take everything to literally.

edit: And welcome to the forums:) Good luck with everything.

4. NeoExdeath

NeoExdeath IncGamers Member

Thank you for hints and encouragement.
    To tell the truth, this isn't my first skelliemancer, I've made some previously (all in 1.10) and never had such problems with D.
    My previous necro was built according to an article on this forum - skelliemancer bible or something like that (the one that had 2 variants of skelliemancer one with poison nova and the other with mages) and he ROCKED. Unfortunately, I couldn't find this article anymore :( . I remember that I had skellie mages present (chill) and MAYBE a few more points in SR.

5. BiltartThe Clorn

BiltartThe Clorn IncGamers Member

If you are lucky you could make good use of a +3 to bone spirit against him. If you are not lucky you could try a +3 to bone spear.I have had some luck over the years using oil potions against him, with various characters.I would suggest not going players 8 against him though.

6. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix IncGamers Member

I must say I had a bit of trouble with Diablo with my skellymancer, with a similar build to yours but I just poped back to act 1 to get some more skeletons and recasting the clay golem. I think I was casting amplify damage( although I use decrepify now on end bosses) and my merc was the prayer one and kept his health toped up, although I swapped him in Nightmare.

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew and feel free to raise some corpses.

Make sure the Merc is properly levelled. Give him a Strength weapon. This comes with 25% CB and can easily be made. Then make sure you cast Clay on Big D ASAP, immediately followed by Decrep. Make sure to keep recasting Clay and Decrep. If you feel the need you can run and resummon an army when it falls. Just rinse and repeat.

It is possible. HoS once dumped all the gear on his Commandomancer and used all the gear he found while raising his army. He managed nicely. Sure it won’t kill as fast as with top notch gear, but it can be done.

The problem is that most people think they will do as well without gear as with gear. That is not true. You can manage, but you shouldn’t be surprised if your killing speed is reduced.

8. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I didn't say it wasn't possible...but without any gear on your resists will suck bigtime...and even skellies can't protect you from Gloams..Also your skeletons will be rather weak and die easily and have trouble killing the harder monsters. While it can be done it will probably require a lot of patience/caution, that I think most people won't be interested in investing.

9. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

I also had some problems with normal diablo in single player with my skelliemancer. His lightning hose practically wiped out my entire army in one shot. After failing a few times I manaaged to distract him with clay golem so he only used his cold hand attack on it as i recasted it. My other minions were standing on the other side wacking him, he fell pretty quickly.

10. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Cast your golem on Diablo as soon as he spawns, and when your skellies get to Big D, recast your golem in the side OPPOSITE of where your skellies are. From what I've seen diablo will keep his attention on your golem this way. When your golem dies/is low on life, recast, making sure to keep Diablo's attention away from your skellies.

Upkeep decrepify the entire time, and chug those mana pots.

I've soloed Norm D this way, only having to resummon twice (once was because I dropped...server lag...it was on hardcore too so you know that I almost wet my pants :lol: )

11. Tibialposse

Tibialposse IncGamers Member

I agree that some CB would be great for the merc and Str. wep would be the easiest if you have no Rattlecage armor for him. Both would be excellent. It would be helpful if his level was close to your own. Try making a Lore helm for yourself and maybe trade for a 2 to summon skills ammy or Eye of Etlitch. Leech is nice for the merc at low levels also since his prayer won't be too effective around D at that point. Even Sigon armor and helm would help if you really need to solo him. Things will get easier. By the time you face him in NM you should handle him easily. Concentrate on the mercs gear as much as your own. He's still your best weapon.

12. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Its not going to do diddly squat vs big D. Perhaps an Act 3 or Act 1 Cold Merc would be more useful. (Levelling up the Act 1 will be a huge pain in the butt though)

Better would be a wand and fetish with +3 bone spear each which you could weapon swap. Gumby to keep him busy, Bone Spear to deal the damage. Takes a while, but works.

No, at this stage the merc is irrelevant, because a fishymancer needs to swap him out in NM for a might merc anyway. Then his gear becomes slightly important... only becoming crucial in Hell.

NB a good cheap ladder runeword is Edge.