Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

skelliemancer... what backup attack? psn nova or bone spear

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by greenfire10, Feb 25, 2004.

1. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

skelliemancer... what backup attack? psn nova or bone spear

hi all, i am planning to build myselve a skellymancer, but i don't know what to use as a secondary attack.

skills so far
    20 skelleton mastery
    20 raise skelleton
    1 in every curse (10 total)
    1 clay golem
    1 blood glolem
    1 iron glolem
    1 golem mastery
    1 summon resist
    1 raise mage
    1 revive
    1 teeth
    1 corpse explosion
    -----------------------
    59 total

since i plan on haveing a LOT of +skills this is all the skillpoints i will ever need for my skelleton army.

so i figured i have some points left, say i would get till lvl ** that means 41 more points to spend whereever i like.

and since i will have time on my hands (only thing i really have to do with skellys is raise some now and then, and curse everything i like to curse) i want a backup attack.

but now... what to choose. there are 2 choises really.
    1 poison, which means poison nova
    2 bone, teeth or spear or spirit, moost likely spear, couse i like that one best out of these 3.

i could get a poison nova of just under 4K, of a spear of say 2.5K (using marrowwalk bug) only bad thing about the marrowwalk is their str erq, it is 118, and all the rest of my planned equip has like 60 max.

what would you guys use as a backup ? and why ?

thanks in advance

2. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

3. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

i had read that guide already, and indeed ... it convinced me both can be fun and good. but that won't help me decide and choose for one or the other.

i have done / seen a lot of bone spells around, and i know more or less how they work.

psn nova i never used, except for the ones being created by my BOTD weapons, and they seemed pretty useless :-(

i think however that a "real" psn nova could do a lot better then the botd one... but is it so ?

DO monsters in hell actualy die of psn nova ?

also there is the fact that some monsters are psn resistant, and while i could lower resist them, i will moost likely keep them amped for my skellys (since it is only a backup attack)

/me is still very confused :scratch: and i would love to get some advice who has tryed both and has experiance with wath will work best

4. Zazu

Zazu IncGamers Member

Dood, forget to kill anything in hell by poison nova. 99 % of necros use it as anti-regeneration skill, what is, I mean, a skill that doesnt allow to regenerate monster's health fast.

5. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

so you say psn nova won't kill ?

hmmm... /me doesn't like spell that don't kill...

this is one vote for bonespells

6. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

psn nova kills. I know from experience. Just at trang gloves, and maybe trang belt and shield too ;). Or the set for that matter. And maybe use a deaths web. But honestly, with just trang gloves alone and LRing the enemies your skellies aren't targeting kills decently.

7. TCO

TCO IncGamers Member

Max CE.. With +skills the radius is so large that you can kill everything in the screen with an unique blast..

8. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

I'm going to vote for bone skills. That's what I did and I like it. If you don't mind exploiting marrows you will have nice bone damage. I do not use marrows and it's still ok.

I really like poison, but as a primary skill.

9. TPMdm

TPMdm IncGamers Member

Nova as a backup will not kill, but it is a good utility skill for slowing monster health regen. Skeletons kill effectively enough however, so the monster regen isn't too big an issue. If you want a skill that will compliment your build max CE. You don't have to worry about synergies, and CE will kill.

10. chien

chien IncGamers Member

yeah, one vote to CE. You amp and CE.. bang.. everything dead :yep: For PN to kill , you'll need to max all poison skills (PD, PE and PN) and with right gears (trang's set, bramble armroe, deathweb, or the lowly unique dagger ). For my pure skelly, I use CE after my might merc and skelly drop the first bad guy. For my posionmancer, I use skelly, HF merc and clay to attract and slow down baddies.

11. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

hmm... thanks guys... helped me out a lot.

i was planning on putting just 1 point in CE, since i calculated that with my planned +skills it will be like lvl 17 anyways. and i think that is more than anough to kill large mobs.

i haven't made my mind up, but at least now i know a little bit what i am thinking about.

12. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

If you run the numbers together, you really get bone spirit and psn nova dealing roughly the same dmg. Spirit only wacks 1guy, but u can spam it, on the other hand pnova hits everyone in range and cant be spammed. If you wanna use pnova (which is what i use) youll be using it as your main weapon, meanwhile the skellys will really just be for tanking and for taking out poison immunes.
    Heres my build: 1LR + pre-reqs, 20 Nova, 40 nova synergies, 20 skellys, whatevers left goes to mastery (~10-18). Order of investment is a second matter, tho....
    So basically, in killing power you can find em kind of =
    Its really just a matter of things like spamming, or not, skellys main weapon, or alt main weapon, etc. Bottom line you make the decision. Which playing style suits you more?

13. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

thanks, but you misunderstood a few things in my build.

1 his MAIN thing will be his skellys, they will do the main killin, and i wanted a kind of "extra" attack so i don't have to stand still all the time.

2 i never even thought about spirit, since it only hits 1 target, i was talking spear.

3 i won't have the points to max all synergys of either psn nova or spear, total 41 points are availeble for my second attack, and i wanna know which will be moost effective with this amount of points

anyways... i still thank you for the constructive poost.

i am leaning towards Pnova atm, but actually i think i will just build the necro untill all the skills stated above are completed, and then decide what to do, not earlyer

14. Camaro

Camaro IncGamers Member

Hi greenfire :howdy:

I had the same problem as u did when i was @ that lvl.
    I thought i will use marro's so that'll help bone so here's what i did:

5 points in ce ( +skills will boost it high enough, if u max it it will cost TONS of mana)
    20 bonespirit
    and last max bone spear

im lvl 80 now and my spirit kills quite wel with just 30 points spend (20 spirit 10 spear).

You also mentioned that your skelly's will do the main killing, on hell that is very hard. Even my lvl 32 skellys with lvl 34 mastery and lvl 80 might merc still wont kill really fast. So usually when i run the pit and encounter a group of enemy's i'll stand a bit back,amp them, my skelly's will start fighting, i kill one monster with spirit, my skelly's also killed one at this time. then its CE and done: all creatuers dead in 20 seconds and u can have their riches :D

just my 2 cents

Camaro

15. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

i won't go spirit for sure, spear is way better for dealing with groups, besides it a lot faster and i like that.

also... i hoped my skellys WOULD kill quite a bit, considdering i will have lvl 43 revive skeleton and mastery.

also with just 1 point in CE it will be lvl 17, and i considder that quite enough. it has a range of 8 yards then, which should be enough.
    HOWEVER if i maxxed it, range would go ut till 14+ yards... and that is fun to. but indeed quite mana consuming. i think the advantages won't be worth that much skill spoints and mana costs.

16. Camaro

Camaro IncGamers Member

Ok i can understand that u like bonespear but it wont do that much dmg and howcome u use it on groups: CE is THE best group killer of the game zo why take anothyer skill to do the same thing but worse?

And to get the one corpse u need for CE it seems clear that spirit is better. My spirit @ lvl 29 with lvl 9 bonespear and marrows does 2k dmg not bad for 30 points right?

But if u just 'want' to use spear ignore my post and gl with ur cro :D

regards

Camaro

17. derthgar

derthgar IncGamers Member

:thumbsup: skele's rule. i am starting act 3 hell and my skeletons so far do not have that much trouble killing things with my lvl 79 might merc. of course he helps out a great deal but other than that they do just fine and i rarely lose one in a fight unless it is against archers and someone throws a bone wall around them grr. but i am also wearing gore riders so that right there well thats all i have to say.

18. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

heh.. i just figured out that IF i go bone... i can have both spear and spirit almoost maxed ... so i don't actually have to choose between those 2. :yep: :wink2: :shhh:

19. Unlimited Skill

Unlimited Skill IncGamers Member

I would suggest bone, since there is a larger synergy tree meaning you can use more skills more effectively, but poison would probably be a better PvM thing in hell. Monster Heal bites, but as long as you have something on you or your merc that has Prevent Monster Heal, go with the Bone. It helps with annoying dueler builds, and its better for SuperUniques and Bosses. But relying on Marrowwalk might not be the best idea... Bliz may change it at anytime. Just keep solid + to skills items and you should be fine. But with your previously mentioned skell build, you may not even need a backup. I screwed up my char so he cant effectively use a backup... :rant: