Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

skelliemancer vs diablo: hilarity ensued

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by EruptingEgo, Mar 29, 2004.

1. EruptingEgo

EruptingEgo IncGamers Member

skelliemancer vs diablo: hilarity ensued

i need to know what went wrong. i got my @ss handed to me by diablo on normal. and the nec has to have the worst dying sound of all the chars. i left corpses for bid D to trip over, that was about the extent of my offensive juggernaut. after 14 trips to stony field to re-raise my army, i was finally able to whittle him down to death, but if NM or hell are exponentially tougher than this, then i might have to go back to my sorcs, or worse yet, watching american idol.

the background:
    lvl 27, partially twinked. (i have wormskull, ume's lament, and treads of cthon. holding onto 3 pieces of trangs set for the future. the rest of equip is found stuff.)
    10 in RS
    6 in SM
    1 in clay
    1 in GM
    1 in SR
    1 in CE
    1 each in curses except for middle row
    1 in teeth (i'd like to build a summoner/poison nova nec to slow the regen rate of hell monsters. i know i won't have enough points to synergize PN.)

basically, i would decrep diablo, and run in alongside my army to dish some damage. the decrep wouldn't last long and he would unleash a blast of pink lightning, enough to lay waste to my entire crew, including my act1 merc, in one blast. after a few runs of this, all the sanctuary corpses were gone so CE was no longer an option. the whole thing got annoying real fast and i was lucky to kill him before i ran out of gold to buy pots and merc. i had not had this level of trouble with any other monster except maybe duriel, in a distant second.

has anyone else experienced this? if so, how did you adjust for NM and hell?

also, on a couple of related notes, which build is trang's optimized for, and is PN worth maxing without synergies?

also, yesterday i found my best unique yet with my cl/fo sorc in the pits. it wa a wizardspike. is this weapon suited for a nec? it doesn't have any +skills which i would think is a big negative.

TIA

2. Subpoena

Subpoena IncGamers Member

Big D will get smaller and smaller the higher you level. I've only built one skellimancer, but he's pretty much able to take most anything on except gloams without breaking much of a sweat. Once you start building up Raise Skelli and Skelli Mastery, you will find everything gets easier. Keep in mind that you will likely have more plus to skills for your curses in NM and HL, plus the eager assistence of a might merc.

Just a thought, but did you use a clay golem when taking on Big D? That and decrep should slow him down nicely. If it wears off, recast . . . rinse and repreat. You will find that you really come into your own soon enough, especially after you get a Might Merc to bulk up your skellies.

Check out the necro stickies for some great advice. My skellimancer is at 86 and has 32 unused skills, the build is so effective. And, I am not a uber-twinked summoning monster, I just use what I have found. I don't know if the poison nova will be worth it, but check those more in the know. You will certainly have the points to spare, but why not wait until you max what matters before delving into supplements.

As for Trangs, I believe that a poison-mancer of some sort works best because of the gloves, but I bet there are a million threads on the topic in the necro forum.

Finally, a wizspike won't offer much to a skellimancer except resists if you need them because once you raise, how much faster do your curses need to be. I'd prefer +to skills or maybe a nice Gull dagger for MF to fast case on my skellimancer.

All in all, rest assured that your necro will grow up big and strong, albeit with a ever pasty-white complexion and poor social skills around the living. With that in mind, happy hunting!

3. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

The biggest problem that I see is your skill placements. At level 27 your skellies should be nearly maxed out. You have approximately 28 skill points but you've spent too much on extra curses and teeth.

In my opinion your skills should look more like this:

RS 18 = 8 skellies
    SM 4
    CG 1
    GM 1
    Amp through Decrep 1

This gives you the army you need and both decrep and clay golem to slow him.

As far as tackling him goes all you need to do is sit back and cast clay golem and decrep as necessary. D will attack the clay golem first and let your skellies do their work. Stay our from behind the clay golem as he'll attrack the pink lightening also, killing the golem and you together.

A couple of extra levels wouldn't have hurt though. Essentially this is the exact same thing that I did with duriel and diablo in nightmare as well. Worked fine for me. I have completely avoided poison and CE and I may regret that later but I've done pretty well getting past Travincal in Hell.

4. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Quite simply, Diablo in Normal will be the most difficult act boss you face with Norm Baal being second. At this point in the game, your skellis probably don't have much life and probably don't have any points in Summon Resist, so they're going to get wasted by huge lightening and fire attacks these badboys dish out.

Once you get Mastery maxed out and a point in Summon Resist, you should be good to go. :)

5. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

it's been said, so i'll help summarize:

at clvl 27:

You are too low level to effectively kill diablo solo, without being godly twinked. You should wait to take him until you have the following:

20 raise skel
    1 skel mastery
    1 clay golem
    1 golem mastery
    1 summon resistance

1 amp
    1 weaken
    1 terror
    1 decrepify

Your level 1 decrep won't have a long duration, so basically, sit and spam it. Make sure to hit him with decrep the second he spawns, then cast a clay golem ON TOP of him. This will slow him to an absolute CRAWL. From there, just spam the shiit out of decrep, and recast golem as necessary.

For a merc, might I suggest an a2 merc? I know it's not might merc, but normal's can have prayer (life regen, afaik) or blessed aim (ar baby, afaik).

that should help you, or anyone else next time they try this.

g

6. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Most of you seem to assume that you still have the services of your skeletons to rely on.

This is a very unsure way to go at such low levels facing Big D. If he manages to pull of but a single Flame Nova it could mean the end of your minions. Especially if you have yet to get Summon Resist.

The optimal would be to wait to level 30 so you can get Summon Resist and enough +skills gear to make it matter.

If that is not an option don't count on your skeletons. Sure Decrepify can go a long way to keep them alive Diablo needs only to get a few Flame Novas through before your skeletons are toast and Decrep/Clay Golem isn't a surefire defense against that.

So basically, rack up enough gold to keep continously resurrecting your mercenary for about an hour or so. Keep enough mana potions to keep him permanently under Decrepify AND resummon your Clay Golem every other second.

If you feel just the slightest hint of machine lag Chuck potions at your merc and yourself like a madman. Remember that ressurecting your merc is much much cheaper than dying yourself.

Chuck a potion (and give one to your merc) immediately after being hit by a Flame Nova. You can dodge the Firestorm and Pink Lightning of Death.

What makes Normal Diablo such a horror is his Flame Nova.

7. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

isn't the point of a summoner to...well...rely on his skeletons? If he can't shouldn't he go somewhere else?

of course d is gonna be tough. but your notion of chucking potions and res'ing your merc for an hour is ludacris!

seriously, 1 pt into summon res / gol / max warrior / decrep will toast d. the main point is that he dodges as many attacks as possible.

I've always noticed that big bad single monsters concentrate on my golem if i slap him down RIGHT ON TOP of them, rather then to the side and let little 'ol CG walk over...

g

(keep res'ing merc for an hour...:yep: )

8. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Well, if you are killing Diablo for the quest you can't really go anywhere else.

I based my findings on my own recent single player experience with him.

I took him on with /players 8 and for all practical purpouses I was naked. I had a whopping +1 skills (Tarnhelm) and NO resists whatsoever.

My merc wore pure store-bought stuff. My skellies croaked during the first two minutes of the confrontation.

What ensued was an hour of frantic potion chugging and the occasional visit to town whenever my merc was stupid enough to stand in the middle of the Pink Lightning. Occasionally I would be lucky and the merc would survive the lightning with the aid of a Big Purple.

And yes, I do know how to use a Clay Golem, and yes, I did keep him under constant Decrep unless I was fleeing.

9. moby

moby IncGamers Member

Something else to try,.

Shop for a staff with teleport charges on them. You can find them in the shops in Act3. They have a level requirement on 24.

Once you let D out, go over and teleport on top of him. This will bring your whole army and most importantly your clay golem on top of him. Immediately upon tping on him your necro should be able to walk away from him. Cast Decrepify on him. The combination of decrepify and clay golem will keep him slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, and should allow you skellies and merc to whittle away at him. Make sure to give you merc rejuvs when he needs it, and recast your clay golem as necessary.

I agree with the others, this guy is tough in normal, and you allocation could have been better, but give the above a try. Once you teleport on top of a couple bosses, you will become addicted.

I teleported on top of Diablo Clone last night, worked like a charm, I did have a barb with me though. This was my first run in with Diablo Clone, and this was HC.

-moby

10. EruptingEgo

EruptingEgo IncGamers Member

hey guys, thanks for the advice. i'll max out RS before the other skills now and level up some more until normal baal.

indemaij, that's exactly what happened. the flame nova just decimated everyone in one hit. i did have decrep at the time (lvl 24 skill i think) but all he had to do was get one off and it was lights out. the lightning attack was just as bad tho because diablo rotates while spewing that b1tch and it was actually pretty funny watching the skellies hit the floor as soon as they surrounded him. i did eventually notice that he focuses on the clay golum first, so i would cast decrep and CG on the opposite side of diablo from myself and run in behind to wack him. took a while and a lot of mana pots, but it worked. i gave up on the skellies because they wouldn't get a hit in before collapsing in a heap of bones. so ultimately the damage dealt was from my rare military pick and my merc, with the CG as distraction. not exactly a recipe for effective party play.

one more question... what do you guys do with your spare skill points after maxing RS and SM? i'd like to have a few revives and mages, as well as PN to suppress the life regen of hell. is my idea workable, or should i just buff up the curses and CE?

11. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

you need to lvl up. I am at lvl 43 and I have with my items 21 in RS 4 in RSM a few in my gumby, 9 in SM and 3 in resist.

One fire nova blast kills my manges right away, by skellies stay in there pretty good.

What I do to kill Diablo is raise my army *including rasies* then just go at him head on and cast amp on him. my skellies start to die and so does my gumby but I just recast my gumby over and over again.

I actually tried to kill diablo myself at even a higher lvl than you and he owned my ***. Hell I even had 1 other necromance with me who was at lvl 25 and a lvl 26 druid and we still got owned....

one of our members had to call in a lvl 73 barb to take care of him...

12. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

I don't agree with maxing out skeletons first. Every single point will increase the mana cost to raise skeletons, and soon it will cost you 25 mana or more to raise each skeleton, while you may only have a max of 200 mana or even less. If you have to cast some extra skeletons every now and then, along with curses and CE, you will not have enough mana.

Once you can raise at least 5-6 skeletons, you will be better off putting the rest of your points into Skeleton Mastery, either maxing it out or keeping it even with Skeletons.

It is natural for your skeletons to get whomped when you are a low level, especially from strong elemential attacks. When you become a higher level, and get both Skeletons/Mastery boosted to a decent level (about 15 for each skill), your skeletons will begin to shine.

Once you max Skeletons/Mastery, get a few +skill equipment to boost those skills along with Summon Resist, and get a Might mercenary from Nightmare difficulty, your skeletons will be able to slolo any area/difficulty.

My current Necromancer has 30 in Skeletons (raises 12 skeletons), 32 in Skeleton Mastery, and 8 in Summon Resist(that's with just 1 skill point and +skills, 54% resist all). My skeletons have about 900 life and do over 1k damage each with Might aura and Amp damage. That's more than enough for them to tank and kill anything in Hell, and +skill GCs would just be overkill. :lol:

13. Jay20016

Jay20016 IncGamers Member

I remember when I got to A4 and tried to Solo diablo with my Skelemancer (who actually had quite a bit of MF for his lvl). The ring of fire literally killed my skeletons and more often than not, me too.

It got so bad as I wondered whether or not to finish the character; I'm so glad I stuck through it.

As people have said, get some help, and then make sure to do countless Minnion runs once in A5. When you get to around 40, with the right placement, you should be able to wipe the floor with most NM bosses, with the exception of Meph who actually gave me trouble. A skeliemancer that is around 70-80 is a force to be reckoned with, stick with it and reap the benefits in hell, where if you chose to be a MF char, you'll have an easy time disposing of most monsters. :)

14. kaervek666

kaervek666 IncGamers Member

I normally take on D at about level 27 on normal, heres the setup i use.

20 RS
    3 SM
    1 amp
    1 weaken
    1 terror
    1 decrep
    1 clay
    1 GM
    1 SR

+3 RS/SM wand bought at level 1. (firm belief every summoner should do this)
    teleport staff on switch
    lore helm
    thats my total equipment. i think i had a belt of some sort as well.

the other option is
    20 RS
    9 SM
    1 clay
    now you rely on a +1 summoning +1-3 SR/ +1-3 decrep wand which takes a while to shop for. it tends to work better than the first setup.

the mana cost of skeletons is a non issue because you will not be summoning them while actually fighting diablo.

after diablo work on getting SR and decrep as actual skills so you can replace the wand with something better. by buying that particular wand, it frees up 6 skill points to put into SM. you will also need a wand with AMP until you get to clvl 24

*edit*

i would also recommend the Act 3 ice merc since the added chill time will aid you and he has much better resists than the other mercs. the damage he does is reasonable in norm difficulty. 1 point in mages does allow you to summon up a ice mage as well for a bit more chill though its generally not worth it.