Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skelliemancer specifics/a few general Q's

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by DarkSatyr, Apr 16, 2008.

1. DarkSatyr

DarkSatyr IncGamers Member

Skelliemancer specifics/a few general Q's

here's some background:
    i've already spent my points kinda silly, split them between the SM and RS and with +skill have 8 SM and 9 RS (+/-1), didn't kno to just stack RS. got an offense merc (i think that is might), got CG/GM, lvl 1 spear and CE, all the prereqs+decrep.
    And i did get 1 point in skeletal mage b/c i figured if i was to spend a point in it i might as well spend it when they are useful.
    got some quick q's though cause im a noob;
    Do runes that give +mana after kill still give mana if my summons got the killing blow?
    Someone told me that a defiance merc is better for normal mode, I've had the offense one since the start of act II and only have to clear duriels tomb to move on, is it worth switching at this point?
    I've geared myself to just max my health/mana, should i go for cast time too? or maybe regen? and if so when?
    I've also just been dumping points into Vit/Str, i do wanna use shields at some point, when should i invest in dex?
    I found a cool green angelic-thingy sword, this is a SP game, I'm holding onto it cause i think making an IG with it would be good, Yes/no?
    On that note, i've seen only melee green sets thusfar on the chars i've made (not that many and none past act III) do casters ever get one?
    I've been giving my merc the yellow gear i find, should i instead socket stuff with lifesteal and give him that and if so when(he currently has 4% LS, and has only died once)?
    Which golem do i use for duriel? I have them all but IG/FG and can probably get IG if i try, but that'll mean sacrificing a point in SR.
    Plz, plz tell me there is a different way to make my merc be the first through the door besides unsummoning everything, i hate having to wait at a door to a room pumping in BS's for the first corpses.
    Later on I'm gonna have to wear down the big bosses with golems, IM, and BS. Assuming my weps dont add to my golems, would it be smarter to stack dex early and get a bow to speed it up instead of BS?
    If i have a choice before diablo, should i stack more points into Revive, SR, IM, or something else to make it easier/faster?

Ty in advance :smiley:

2. Greyeagle

Greyeagle IncGamers Member

Re: Skelliemancer specifics/a few general Q's

No

Largely up to choice. On my trips through normal I always use a prayer merc. Your choice is fine.

FCR isn't needed until/unless you get enigma, so not important right now. Regen isn't all that important either, just use the blue pots. Insight can be useful if you are frustrated with mana shortages early on.

Usually not until you have a shield with good blocking chance. The guides should point out the usual suspects, but in SP Rhyme is one of the easiest to do.

If you have the room sure, save it. It's always fun to experiment with iron golems. You will probably find it doesn't do much for you though. So if you have something usefull for the storage spot ditch it.

Take a look at arreat summit for full details on what is available.
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/

Some life steal is the general rule for mercs. Summoners can get by without due to the additional bodies (skeletons) available to split damage. Still, things will be easier with life steal.

Typical choice for act bosses is clay golem and decrepify. Normal is the only time you might choose differently. In normal, if your skels can't tank the boss, then clay golem and iron maiden is one possible solution. SR (summon resist) should only need 1 point ever, let your plus skills improve it later.

Try out the terror curse.

First of all, once past normal diablo all you will need for bosses is clay golem, decrepify and skeletons. That's it, ever, period.

Second, if you have difficulty at normal diablo one valid solution is iron maiden (only 1 pt) and clay golem (only 1 pt) repeat until dead.

Revive, SR, and IM are all one point only investments. +Skills will bring these up to needed levels later.

Check out the fishymancer guide in the stickies if you haven't already. That is an excellent guide that covers most of the basics plus some.

3. JubalBane

JubalBane IncGamers Member

I go for max resists. I try to max all of them but you especially want max lightning and fire.
    Another nice skill to look into is Dim Vision. Attract is also popular but I have a hard time with it.

4. Barbarrister Voldamus

Barbarrister Voldamus IncGamers Member

You normal offensive merc produces a Blessed Aim aura which increases AR for you and your minions. Personally I preffered the Defiance aura Defensive merc but in NM you will probably want to change to a Might aura Offensive Merc. As far as sets go you may run into the three part Infernal Tools set which is designed for a necro. The wand is ok early on as it has a +1 nec skills and relatively low reqs I ended up using it combined with the headgear clear up until approximately level 55 becasue with the two items the headpiece actually gets +2 per character level to defense I never found the belt though so when I finally found a decent helm to make Lore out of I dumped the two items on a mule for my next start up Necro. What Greyeagle said about Bosses worked well for me the only thing I would add is since you dumped the early points into SM get the point in Revive asap as you will find that your revives will have the SM synergy going on all ready and will really help when it comes to Big D and Baal at the end of Normal. Good luck.