Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skelliemancer in the Arcane Sanctuary...sheesh!

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by MatMan, Feb 12, 2004.

1. MatMan

MatMan IncGamers Member

Skelliemancer in the Arcane Sanctuary...sheesh!

My Clvl 80 skeleton necro just made it to the Arcane Sanctuary in Act II, and man o man is he having a tough time. If I'm lucky, I'll manage to get two whole skeletons to attack side-by-side. Meanwhile, the rest of the army is bottled up behind them on the narrow walkway, getting whacked with firewalls and whatnot.

Long story short, it's incredibly slow-going. My Bone Spirit isn't yet powerful enough to deal decent damage, so I wait and wait and wait to get that first kill for the CE. Is there a trick to make this area play any faster?

2. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

arcane sanc is a tough place. learn to use the curses: decrepify and dim vision

g

:howdy:

3. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

It can be slow in tight places with a Skellimancer but I find that my Merc or the 1000 point Bone spirirt solve most problems.

A good tactic is to retreat to an open area platform where more skellies can start to hit, or use Terror to make them run away, Attract to make them fight each other, otherwise you only need one corpse (maybe 2) to speed things along ... Boom, Ka... Boom... err sorry you already said that and I was getting carried away :D

4. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Arcane Sanctuary is annoying, yes, and you are often tempted to do unwise things out of sheer frustration, but nothing beats Diablo @ normal. Skelliemancers without there skeletons are a rather pathetic sight.

Oh yeah, use your Corpse Explosion. Enemies are often bunched up in Arcane Sanctuary so even a level 1 CE can do serious carnage.

5. mes_uno

mes_uno IncGamers Member

Use town portals to pop to town and back. When you land they all appear on top of you, instead of trapped on stairs, round corners etc

6. Indemaijinj

Also the reason why skelliemancers love the Cheesemaker's Apron (AKA Enigma), but I guess you aren't that rich yet.

7. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Arcane is the one place where I used terror alot. That allowed mor skellies to move forward and then when terror wore off the specters came flying back and the skellies were more spread out to attack individual monsters.

A few cold mages helped to stop some of the monsters so I could freeze individuals and they'd get hacked down... once I had one corpse... amp and LVL 27 CE goes to work hitting almost every monster in the screen then the additional bodies kicked in with more BOOM....

BTW I reduced the number of skelli warriors to 6 and mages to 4 to make it easier to travel... I revived the vampires for their firewalls which would burn while skellies hacked and monsters backed up behind... That also helps since they will fire their ranged fireballs while the firewall is cast.

I like reviving caster monsters though... especially serpent magus, and gloams... but that's not in arcane thank God!

8. KSechrist

KSechrist IncGamers Member

What I wound up doing (and the summoner was in direction 4 for me, so I saw the whole fricken level), was summoning my golem past the knot up. That'd draw some of the fire (the golem usually died VERY fast), but I just chain cast it. It usually drew enough fire that I could hold out against the rest so that I could get a body to CE. Terror helped, too.

9. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

I beat the Arcane by creating a game called "Act2 Arcane" and played it with a meterorb sorc. I kept skellis to a maximum of 5, and let my merc do most of the tanking. I kept using Lower Resist. I like partying, since it adds dimension to the game. We ended up completing Act 2 together, which didn't cause any problems because Duriel didn't drop anything good. :rolleyes:

10. Indemaijinj

If she helped you getting through Arcane Sanctuary you have payed her back by making Duriel a Cakewalk.

With Decrepify and clay golem + a swarm of skeletons to keep him in place Duriel is outright pathetic.

11. necro1975

necro1975 IncGamers Member

Your best friend would be teleport

12. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

If he said that he had it...sure he would. He didn't say it, so therefore...have to think that he don't.

HoS

13. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

I use the exact same tactic.

14. MatMan

MatMan IncGamers Member

Well this is interesting. BTW, thanks to everybody for the advice. I actually just sold a teleport ring a few days ago, thinking I'd never need it, and because it had few max charges. And the trick with Terror was much appreciated. I'll have to try that sometime.

But I ended up solving the problem pretty quickly without having to invest any unplanned skill points. I took the "teleport" path all the way to the end; if there was no Summoner, quit, make new game, repeat. It's a breeze to manage your army with the teleportation gates, and you'll pick the correct path to the Summoner 25% of the time. I found him on the second try.

15. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I agree, but I enjoy the fun of Confues too. You could also spam your Golem behind the monster pack! If you're in the Arcane, then you finished my favorite place, the Maggot Lair, it's just as bad! Actually worse cause you can't see around the corners!

Masa

16. Ezuku

Ezuku IncGamers Member

You can get teleport on a ring?

17. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You can't get teleport on a ring.

18. Lithan

Lithan IncGamers Member

Duriel is an absolute pansy versus a skelle necro. I was laughing the whole time. He did not damage my merc (who tanked the majority of the time) at ALL. Killed my clay golem once (2 hits when decrep fell). But about 45 seconds after I went down he was one dead duriel. This is nm... but I wouldn't imagine hell being much worse. (I forget if he's cold immune in hell though). Anyhow. I found myself getting pissed off in arcane alot. Eventually (again this is only nm) I just started acting like a meleemancer then CE whatever I killed. Ate a number of pots but so many dropped I didn't have to buy any. Another tactic I tried but decided was too slow was attact and iron maiden to get a corpse then CE the half dead critters with their poor murdered comrade.

19. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Ok you guys suggest teleport but then say enigma is too expenisive (which it is) so why not get a teleport staff or even better najs staff (do to the teleport charges on it). They are cheap to repair and all you have to do is wpn switch and tele your pack right on top of that nasty group of monsters :).

20. MatMan

MatMan IncGamers Member

Oh, hell, it was something with Teleport on it. Didn't want it. Sold it.

Long story short, I didn't have to put any skill points into something I hadn't planned on. It was a bit of a pain, even though I did kind of luck out, finding the Summoner on the second try and all. But it was worth not having to use any of my saved skill points.