Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skellie mages...I see alot of mixed opinions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Orion241, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj Diabloii.Net Member

This might open your eyes. It's got the equation and chart about how to work out mage damage. With equal Mastery/Mage skill level, Skeleton Mastery works out to be responsible for about 2/3 of magi damage.

2. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Hey, cool! I never realized they'd finally broken down and put that chart up at the AS!

3. NecromanSassin

NecromanSassin Diabloii.Net Member

If you choose to have mages but have no way of teleporting, or just would rather not, their is a really easy way to prevent blocking doors. It is risky, but really speeds killing time. When you notice a magi is blocking, quickly run in the room, tp, go in the tp, then go in it again. This may take a little more time than teleporting, but is almost as efficient.
    Hope I helped ^.^

4. Aldarad

Aldarad Diabloii.Net Member

Or simply wait until the mages blocking are killed. Honestly I dont se the problem here. How jaded are you guys anyway?
    Me I want all my guns on the battlefield, doesnt feel safe without my mage-rearguard.

5. Perfect Hatred

Perfect Hatred Diabloii.Net Member

My feelings exactly! A summoner should definitely max out skelly mages. Why?

1.Free extra damage

2. Mages have 6 minutes or more of poison damage duration to prevent monster heal even when you are in town or out resurrecting your army after a retreat from battle.

3. Cold mages have crazy chill duration, on Hell usually 6-7 seconds to slow monsters down.

4. extra tanks to keep the master safe :wink3:

5. Mages attack from a distance and so can never be blocked by crowding and prevented from attacking enemies like your melee skellies.

And it isnt like there are any other good skills to put the skillpoints into after you max out the 3 fishymancer skills. Pointless to go bone/poison attacks since you can get synergies properly, Bone armour is annoying to recast all the time and isnt worth it after the marrowwalk bug was fixed, curses are marginally improves by additional skillpoints if you have high + all skills already.

6. GotFriana

GotFriana Diabloii.Net Member

I find mages very usefull, sometimes when Im on easy areas I get lazy and only summon skellies, other times I summon both, the mages by themselves may not be able to kill much, but the overall killing speed increases greatly when they are around.
    Also with more points and +skills they actually dont die as often as it sounds from reading posts or hearing ppls comments. After finishing my summoner I couldnt think any better place to invest my skill points, so I added to mages and I dont regret it. They are also very good vs. PI monsters.

7. Perfect Hatred

Perfect Hatred Diabloii.Net Member

and if you have 2 comps like me you can always cheat a bit and use a barbarian character to battle order the necros skelly party, then the skellies never die and the battle orders last 10 minutes if you have it high and maxed synergies :grin:

8. grislum

grislum Diabloii.Net Member

Hello all :) When I play a fishymancer, sometimes I bother with mages and sometimes I don't..now however Im working on a Lord of the Magi Jailkeeper, using bone prison and wall as tanks, for my mages, and even hired a act 3 lightning sorcerer, and Im having doubts but sticking with it. For a time after reading Horseguts post about SM not helping damage and being bumfuzzled, I now realize why he said that, :D the FIRST point in SM does NOT help mage damage, only life! Point 2 and thereafter does, however, so mystery solved hehe

9. Namtar

Namtar Diabloii.Net Member

OK, I'll bite. Where are you getting this? My normal sources indicate that that moving from slvl 0 SM to slvl 1 SM should increase the damage of skeletal mage bolts.