Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skeleton Rib Light Source

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Skeleton Rib Light Source

Just adding some images to the wiki, and this one caught my eye. I thought the red glow was the target outline, but when I viewed it full size... it's just a light source from the Cleave skill, I think. Pretty cool that it glows on each bone of the skeleton's body, as seen from behind.

Okay, it's not perfect; light the just-smashed skeleton should be red-tinted too, as should the Barb and the other one behind him, to a lesser extent. Light doesn't just travel in one direction. But it's still pretty cool, on the whole.

[​IMG]

2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: Skeleton Rib Light Source

Also, this shield, in another of the caravan screens, gives me a... want.

It's going to be cool to see the high level items in D3; there were some very creative items in D2, skull shields and such, but they weren't really visible in the tiny pixel size. Should be more eye candy enjoyment, this time around.

[​IMG]

3. DWS

DWS IncGamers Member

Wonder why it doesn't glow reflect on the Barb as well. I think this could have a lot of potential for making some dramatic lightning throughout the game.

yes I hope there is lots of variety in how items look - that's truly the next step from D1>D2>D3.

4. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Alright, so firing a Purple Orb of Arcane Kablooey just got a lot more purplier and more awesomer? Purple on the ball, purple on the victims, purple kaboom, and purple misty corpses.

Weeeeee!

5. Nekora

Nekora IncGamers Member

I personally think using beam spells like Disintegrate will look neat if it makes everything glow with the color. I like these lighting details. Now let's start seeing how the environmental lighting and player Light Radius will work in the game!

6. permaximum

permaximum Banned

It's just the tweaked red outline.

7. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

perma is such a party pooper.

I will mourn the diminishing of purpliness and other pretty colors in Diablo 3.

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

There's no red outline in any of the 3 new combat shots, since the whole UI is turned off. Also, the red outline goes around the outside. hence "outline." There's nothing around that skeleton's swords, or the back/left of it. Assuming it's even the one being targeted; quite possible the targeting is on the one that just died.

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i would guess its not a light source but maybe a enhanced skeleton. champion mini boss whatever they are called. just a guess though

10. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

The plot thickens. The angle suggests that the light source is the sword itself, but it is not animated on the Barbarian himself.

The miniboss theory also has credence!

So, basically, let's chalk this up to incomplete UI/GFX/gamedesign/unicorns and pray for the best (i.e. Flux's theory)?

11. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Actually i thought it's the tweaked red outline or champion effect. I saw that the red outline doesn't contain the sword but that's why i said it's tweaked.

Since you pointed out other new screenshots don't have that, i presume it's the champion effect on skeletons. It's no way the reflection of cleave's light.

12. Glass

Glass IncGamers Member

The skeleton closest to the Wizard in this screenshot also has a red-tint, presumably from the Disintegrate.

13. themeros

themeros IncGamers Member

I don't think it's any boss or champion because that doesn't seem what Blizzard is looking for. A red glow is a little too simple for what they are going for to distinguish a champion or even a boss. He would at least have other more distinct traits from the rest.

It's definitelly a lighting effect from the skill that is only projected forward. The dead skelly is already dismounting so his red glow animation is already over.

Maybe it's even some other interesting effect like an "enraged" skeleton? :scratchchin: Hmm... Probably not xD

14. permaximum

permaximum Banned

If it's the lightning effect from the skill, i say the developers are not even amateurs. This is the first time i've seen a light reflection that poor in a game.

15. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

outside of it being a champion i would maybe guess its some DOT effect, like burning or bleeding (on a skeleton? i know i know) or somethign like that. that would of course be a second guess though as i really believe its a champion/pack boss effect

16. CarnageX

CarnageX IncGamers Member

Maybe it has nothing to do with selection or relfection. Maybe its a special skeleton, like a special power or what not, but anything could be right ahahah

17. themo

themo IncGamers Member

I really hope it's tweaked red target outline because it looks cool that way otherwise, it's terrible, I see only strange red shapes instead of the monsters as if a kid took a pen and highlighted the edges, I hate that type of red outline.

18. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Agreed if the red outline stays in the game i will make it a mission to remove it.

19. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Themo, that skeleton doesn't have any outline on him.

Besides, what exactly is it that people dislike about the outline?

My guess is that the light is an effect of the cleave, but unique to targeted monsters.

20. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Simple there are 3 reasons:

1 It draws a thick red outline around the monster model, much like the la linea:

[​IMG]

2 it actually makes the monster model transparent, with a distinct smoky base color of the monster:

just check when the male wizard target the fallen shaman its extremely visual and cant be overlooked.

http://www.gossipgamers.com/new-diablo-3-gameplay-footage-details-from-gamescon/

3 the red outline break any immersion at all, instantly.