Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Skele Magi build

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Gegabyte, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Gegabyte

Gegabyte IncGamers Member

Skele Magi build

I started a necro a while back, and have just picked him back up at lvl 35, I am now up to lvl 47 and have maxed skele mastery and skele mages. have +2 to all skills +3 to skelli mages. I am pretty much blasting through NM at the moment without any problems. I have 1 point in all golems but use fire golem because i have gloves with + to fire skills, ( decent diversion ) my merc is lvl 46 with frozen aura with decent enough kit. The thing is I need ideas of where to go from here!! I have 1 point in revive (3 points total) so they help when things get sticky. But all in all I am pretty untouchable. However I know that is not going to last.

Please give me ideas on what build to continue with, Is there I hybrid i can pick up at this stage? I have base 100 str 35 dex 90 energy rest vitality.

Any Ideas??

2. Tibialposse

Tibialposse IncGamers Member

If you are going to rely on mages, I think you will need to use lower resist a lot. I have never made a summoner that was mage heavy so I am no expert but I think you'll need to put on equipment that boosts your summoning skill asap such as a +3 ammy because I think you'll end up needing more revives to help out with tougher monsters. Mages tend to cast from the same place and they will probably be vulnerable without the extra troops out front. Also make sure your merc can kill quickly. I guess the hf merc would be good for this build as it would slow the pack from engaging your own but I think you will have to go slow in Hell. I'll have to try a mage necro sometime. GL

3. Gegabyte

Thanks, I was just pondering lower resist. Up until now I have been using amp damage to help my merc, My merc is pretty tough without Amp damage so I think I will start using lower resist. The thing that I have noticed about skele mages is that providing you keep strategically placing a golum the skellies are rarley targeted. Also like you say, at present 3 revives + golum + Merc take the strain off of the mages. Besides once I have my army, providing if one or two eneimes die I just corspe explode that rest.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I wouldn't use Lower Resist+ mages....I think that skellies+Might mercenary+amplify damage is better, also amplify damage works with the 50% physical damage from Corpse Explosion....Instead of putting points in Lower resist, I'd put points in Revive and get a huge army...You could also go Poison Hybrid, that way you'll utilise your Lower resist twice, both with mages and Poison Nova...but it'll require some pretty sweet gear, most notably a Death's Web...but also easier to find gear like pieces of the Trang set.

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Putting points in BW or BP for some crowd control and mage protection can be a good choice and is often used. Also AI curses for a bit of crowd control can’t hurt. These are the common choices IIRC.

You can follow the hybrid rules for normal Skelliemancers, but don’t forget that while Mages are sturdy, they aren’t as good tanks as Skellies are. Most hybrid rely on the fact that Skellies are very good tanks.

You may want to equip your Merc with an Infinity weapon if you can get the runes. The Conviction aura will boost the damage of your Mages. Also Fire and Lighting Mages have the highest damage. Use these is you want to maximise your damage output. The other two kinds of Mages are used as crowd control and to prevent monster heal.

For further information do a search for “Lord of Mages†or “LoMâ€.

Does it really matter what you think is more effective? I don't mean this as an insult, but he stated he wanted to make a LoM, not that he wanted a build most people think of as most effective.

6. Gegabyte

Thanks for your Help Mantis, I'm sorry that I posted twice.

[edit] one more thing what is AI curses? and IIrc

7. rubberband shooter

rubberband shooter IncGamers Member

AI curses = Dim vision, Confusion and Attract, curses which affects the AI(Articfial Intelligence in case you don't know) of monsters.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

8. Chimaira

Sorry...But sometimes people get crazy build ideas from friends or whatever and think that they are the ultimate killing machines...I just wanted to let him know that there is a more effective alternative out there...And I did also point out that a Poison Hybrid could be effective if he really wanted to use mages+lower resist...I don't see any harm in offering advice...As long as I didn't say you have to use skellies you noob they are the only ones that can kill:)

9. Gegabyte

I do appreciate the advice, I have built lots of DII characyers and wanted to do one i havn't really seen. i have taken your advice and doing max PN + PD synergie. And using lower resist. I have managed to get that unique wand with - enemy poison resist and plus to all skills and poison skills. This build is going to be fun!!!

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

There have been a couple people in the past who did have that attitude. That is why I wanted to let you know that. I meant it as a bit of friendly advice.

11. Chimaira

Point taken...but I really think that I stayed well within the orderly confines of suitable behaviour...whatever that means:)

I didn't mean to imply you we're a noob or anything but sometimes people come in here without knowing anything at all...and sometimes you have to "guide" their hand:)

Oh and thanks for teaching how to quote Mad Mantis...that sure helped a lot:)

12. jgreg7

jgreg7 IncGamers Member

It sounds like you're having fun so far. I've got a level 78 LoM in a4 Hell right now. The mages are fun to watch, even though they do slow down quite a bit in Hell. (Doesn't everything?)

You definitely want to get lower resist to a moderate level (mine is 10 after +to skills). That noticibly increases the mages power. If you can get a wand or fetish with lower resist, then you could skip the prerequisites and use those skill points for poison/bone skills. The other curses haven't been as important to me, although the AI curses are occasionally useful. For example I used Attract on Heirophants to stop them from healing others in Kurast.