Sixty dollars!?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Sixty dollars!?

I got a lawnmowing company to give me a quote on my front lawn today. I'd like to point out that the only reason I was willing to hire someone to do this for me is that I live in a tiny unit and have nowhere to store a lawnmower, not even a hedgetrimmer in fact (until recently my landlord had been cutting my lawn, but he decided it was too much trouble for him).

Sixty bloody dollars. My front lawn is hardly bigger than my nature strip, I think it's 14m x 7m. I could mow it in three passes, it'd take all of five minutes including set-up time and raking up the grass afterwards.

What a load of crap. Now I'm going to have to go look around rental places to see if I can rent a lawnmower and do it myself. Who on earth would pay that much for a tiny patch of grass?

SmittySixTen

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought that upkeep and maintenance (like mowing the yard) is what landlords are required to do, and that fact is stated in most housing contracts?

Also, $60 is insane. It's probably that they have a minimum price, so if your yard is super small you get the screw job.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, probably.

I asked the real estate agent, they say the landlord isn't obliged. Things have been pretty decent here (it's overpriced, but luckily I've managed to put off price rises for so long we now pay almost what it's worth) and I don't want to push my luck.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
No neighborhood kids you can get to do it for $5? If all else fails, buy one of the old school push blade mowers. That will fit in your closet no problem and would be more than enough for a tiny lawn.

Dutch

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
No neighborhood kids you can get to do it for $5? If all else fails, buy one of the old school push blade mowers. That will fit in your closet no problem and would be more than enough for a tiny lawn.

Dutch
Heh, I don't even have a closet... I'd either have to put it in my living room or bathroom, basically.

I'd love to pay some kid to do it, but I didn't think they supplied their own mower. If I could borrow someone's mower I'd do it myself... I want to keep my contact with my neighbours minimal, though.

Dondrei, you have a nature strip? Do you live in the ACT?
No, Melbourne. Why? Do they call it something different in the other states?

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
Chain it to the gas meter outside or something? Crap, if its that small use hedge trimmers. And FYI, fathers generally let their kids take the lawn mower and go earn a few bucks as its better than opening our wallets :)

Dutch

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I could chain it up outside, but it'd rust wouldn't it?

I have considered hedge trimmers... I'll wait to see how much I can rent a weed-whacker or something for first.

Jackson

Diabloii.Net Member
A kid would be able to do it. If he's small enough, you can store him in the closet too, along with the lawnmower. :laugh:

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
we paid a neighbor kid $10 to mow our lawn (2 acres)
then gave him another $10 after we found out he did it with a push mower instead of our rider

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Why is that?
I find it works better that way. Luckily my neighbours are quiet, we hardly ever see each other, that's for the best.

My wife keeps saying I should just ask to borrow theirs, but on top of my usual preference not to talk to neighbours I'd rather not impose... it'd have to be a semi-regular thing anyway, I'd rather find a more permanent solution.