Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Singleplayer vs Battle.net

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by JesusGreen, Jun 29, 2010.

1. JesusGreen

JesusGreen IncGamers Member

Singleplayer vs Battle.net

Alright, I was sure if this should go here or the Singleplayer forum so please feel free to move it if I misplaced it. I figured since it relates to both it might be better placed here though.

So I've just started playing D2, so far I'm not very far into the game, I have a level 12 fishymancer on battle.net and I just completed "The Search for Cain". I don't really have anything good in the way of items, I have a sash from some set but I imagine it's a lower end set since I got it quite early on.

Anyway I'm getting off-topic, the point is I'd like to hear some of the pros and cons of Battle.net and Singleplayer. I assumed with Singleplayer it was more difficult to trade items to other characters - and more difficult to find duels etc, however from what I've read about ATMA the first seems to be avoided completely, and having looked at the Singleplayer forum I'm not sure it's that hard to find duels and other people to play with either.

If I knew an easy way to trade between my own characters without breaking any rules on Battle.net then that would be my easy choice, but it seems there are so many people who enjoy Singleplayer, so what makes you guys prefer it? Same goes for Battle.net.

I'm tempted to play both or even move to Singleplayer completely because that'd allow me to play even when I don't have internet access, and then play with others via tcp/ip when I do. (this would come in handy big time as there are some times when I have to take my internet down for a couple of days due to overloading my bandwidth etc)

So yeah, pros and cons to both, and which would you personally recommend? Thanks :)

2. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Re: Singleplayer vs Battle.net

Single player or bnet, you will probably have difficulty finding duels, unless you're non-ladder.

My main motivation for starting up this ladder was the ladder-only runewords, which actually can be had on SP with a mod that is even approved by the SP community.

Muling is far more time-consuming and difficult on Bnet, and you're more likely to lose items if you have an outtage or the server drops. No matter how many precautions you take, the risk is never gone.

On SP, Atma pretty much covers it all there.

I'm actually losing my connection indefinitely, so that easily made my choice. But, another thing to consider, is that you won't get temp banned (ala realm down) for starting too many games too quickly on SP, unlike Bnet.

Really, the bottom line is how important is interaction for you. SP, its still possible, but again, the emphasis is on self.

3. JesusGreen

I like interaction but I don't see my interaction being much more than trades/PvP, so if that is no more difficult with tcp/ip than it is on Battle.net then I'm happy with single player and in fact it might be my best option.

What I might do is start up a single player character now, play both characters, and in a few weeks or a month or something decide which I want to stick with.

4. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I've played both on Battlenet and Single Player for years, and consider the Single Player experience far superior. Just my opinion. In addition to ATMA and no realm down / disconnections or lag, I view the following as favoring SP:

- You can keep a static map for repeatedly running the same boss / area for magic finding, or change maps as you choose.

- no bots

- no PK's, unless you choose to join a dueling game

- characters never expire

- characters never get moved to non-ladder

- ability to "time travel" (play earlier versions) Certain runewords made in items from previous versions rock (esp. 1.07).

- ability to modify difficulty of game and number of items drops through /players x command

As I said, that's just my opinion, and I hope you enjoy playing the game in the manner of your choice. Cheers!

5. JesusGreen

Thanks for the advice, I'm actually starting to enjoy my single player character more than my battle.net one at the moment. My only concern is that it will be harder to find duels since PvP is currently my planned "end goal" in this game. Also, I heard that playing multiplayer via tcp/ip can be quite laggy (I actually have yet to experience lag on battle.net since I moved to Poland - previously in England I lagged whatever server I played on) - is this true, and how hard is it to find duels with tcp/ip compared to battle.net?

Thanks in advance.

6. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I'm sorry, my PvP experience is limited to two instances in SP, and none on Battlenet. I don't really have a frame of reference allowing me to accurately compare the two.

7. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Battlenet never worked properly for me. Played on it a couple of months with a friend*). It has the issues people above mentioned.

I'd kill a monster on spot a but its corpse would be on spot b.

I'd run one way but my character would move the other.

Doors sometimes aren't doors and walls sometimes are.

Everything's slow but not so the monsters.

And the constant, interrupting connection.

Stuck with Single Play since. Suits me.

*) who didn't like it that my sorceress killed far more monsters than his amazon did

8. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

If you are that worried about dueling you should ask over in the single player forum. There is also a PVP thread inside the MP forum that is a subset of the single player fourm. It is listed here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760054
    The last duels listed were about 3 days ago on July 1, I believe, from reading the last post. I do not duel, but it seems like a rather long enough thread. Be sure to read all the rules and ask questions in case a rule is unclear to you. Then post that you want to be part of a duel and when you are available, see if anyone responds. Good luck and welcome to the forums.