Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Single PlAyer summoner druid viable in single player? ifra

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by skilledlord, Apr 29, 2008.

1. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

Single PlAyer summoner druid viable in single player?

I am wondering if a pure summon druid is viable and even smart for single player. Or should i have a element too such as fire? I am looking at the fire and summon guide however he seems to use summons only for tanks, something that I want to stay away from, I want to use them to actually kill. Keep in mind this would be untwinked and played when I am feeling the single player - itis.

thanks much guys.

2. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Re: Single PlAyer summoner druid viable in single player?

Did you already check the mat/pat/guardian thread stickied at the top?

I'm assuming no, but anyway here are two untwinked Guardians...

On-fire - Fire/Summon Hybrid *
    Deerslayer - Summoner/Rabies Druid *

I haven't actually played a pure summoning druid so I can't personally help you too much there. But I'll tell you that you will need something to take care of physical immunes.

3. Freire

Freire IncGamers Member

Yes,
    I have a pure summoner guardian and its a quite safe build, did it untwinked also:)
    If you have the RWM mod you should look for the "edge" runeword (bow) as the runes are really common (tir+tal+amn) and it gives you a nice thorns aura (lvl 15 i believe).
    For Phys immunes i used those wands with massive elemental damage and "wanded" them to death:)
    The bear is a huge tank, has insane life, attack rating and damage, so its very useful against bosses.For everything else i used mostly the dire wolves, as they do alot better when it comes to crowd control (they are faster and there are 3 of them).

4. skilledlord

What is rwm mod? is it something I have to to get for the rw? thanks you for the advices and guides, I have chosen to go volcano/summonswolves

5. Freire

Freire IncGamers Member

Some runewords are restricted to battle.net only games (eg: edge), the RMW mod removes this restriction for single player:)
    Its an officially allowed mod here in the SP community, more detais here:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=468882

Good Luck on the druid, fire/summon is a fun combo:)

6. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Untwinked summon druid? read about Cosmo

7. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

I knew I was forgetting a big one :rolleyes:

8. TheSupercrab

TheSupercrab IncGamers Member

my 100% summoning druid, untwinked gaurdian is a work in progress. Currently NM act 4 and been on P8 the whole time. Its really been easy going. I Advise, max both wolves, grizly and ur HoW. This will mean ur minions will kill stuff pretty easy especially with the might merc. Then also max Poison creeper (stops life regeneration for tougher monsters) As a crowd control skill i went for grizzly + Shockwave. 5 Skill points and monsters just stand there and get slaugterd by the dire wolves. Great crowd control. Ravens will be a high enough level from + skills (even untwinked, think 2 spirts + helm is at least +6). So just use them to blind long range monsters.

Its not a super killing build, buts its fun easy and reliable.

9. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Personally i wouldn't just go for summons. I have a summoner to, but if you're only waiting for your summons to kill it can be boring. That's why i went with a hunter. I twinked mine and it was fun to play. Summons actually did decent damage and to keep myself busy i was firing away with a buriza (the freezing also helped out the summons).
    I didn't max both wolves though. IIRC the spiritwolves just add a bit more AR or defense or something. After maxing HOW, bear and the dire wolves i went for a few points in the life giving vine (still doesn't last long) and maxed cyclone armor.

10. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

It depends on what you call viable..

He is certainly capable of finishing the game, as long as you don't care that a single point in Fury combined with solid weapon will out-damage your entire bestiary.

I strongly doubt you could find more incompetent (underpowered) mainstream build :thumbsdown: On the other hand, physical builds have little trouble with immunes, because it's fairly easy to find a rare weapon with CtC amp, and you have a tough tank at your disposal.

11. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

I wouldn't call the build "incompetent" - as with all things D2, its how you have fun playing the game. I have built Hunter druids, and found them to be a lot of fun, challenging at times, but then that's what I'm looking for - some challenges.

A druid relying on summons will certainly stretch you more than a summons necro, for example...but perhaps less than a singing barb.

12. skilledlord

Thank you all. I have decided to go with some of the ideas and will keep all of them in mind. I wanted to keep my act 1 mercenary like some other guys since I really do not want a guy following me around all the acts but the damage aura will prove more useful to me.

13. skilledlord

a question for you people = ) is oak sage or how better? and if i have a blessed aim merc, does the how stack? thanks much.

14. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Go for HoW. It increases your summons damage while all oak does is give extra life. Just recast if they die. You don't even need corpses like a necro only some mana.
    As for the merc i'm thinking yes, but i'm not completely sure. Personally i would go for the might merc instead. Again for extra damage.

15. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

I wouldn't combine Blessed Aim with HoW, neither your merc nor summons will need that much AR. Might + HoW will yield the best damage/time ratio. Your summons damage will be OK, but it's your merc that will outkill everything by a long shot. Summons are best used to protect you/merc, allowing you both to attack freely and constantly. If it's still your intention to have the summons do all the killing, you must give your Might merc a weak weapon (or none at all.) But be prepared for a considerably slower pace.

16. skilledlord

thank you both again. I am thinking I will do a build similar to this. 20 to volcano 20 to fissure, 20 to dire wolves, rest into grizzly. I read your thread insane wayne, and it's quite crazy.