Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Single Player or "LAN" setting...?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheDancinZealot, Sep 6, 2006.

1. TheDancinZealot

TheDancinZealot IncGamers Member

Single Player or "LAN" setting...?

Hello, at some point I will contribute to this community in a way other than questions :)

Until then, my most recent is whether it makes any difference (good or bad) if you play a "standard" single player game, or if you instead play solo on open bnet/LAN...

It may be a dumb question, but there it is...

Oh, and it would mostly be in reference of item-drops/boss runs...

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

online = lag

if you're playing SP, you might as well eliminate lag as much as possible, so I say just a locally running copy makes the most sense

Edit: I'm not sure how well ATMA works with online characters (I think it doesn't work at all, actually).

3. shleefin

shleefin IncGamers Member

open b-net is frowned upon here as a significant percentage of those who play on open are not legit players, and if you choose you play on open you assume all the risks.

LAN on the other hand, whether with friends or other SPF members is perfectly accepted. check the monthly m-player games sticky thread for games.

4. TheDancinZealot

TheDancinZealot IncGamers Member

Let me re-state,

I would be playing solo either way, it is simply a matter of wondering if item drops, monster xp, or anything else would be different between open bnet, lan, or "standard" single player....I would be doing them solo either way, so I need not worry about the purity of my companions...

5. shleefin

shleefin IncGamers Member

if you are soloing, then no there are no differences in drops.

6. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Pro of Soloing in an MP game:
    You can come in with another character if you get stuck, have a Gheed's drop, or just want to mule into ATMA without losing your place. I've been known to host an MP game with another character just so I can go in and out of ATMA with my main character without having to find the next WP.

Cons of Soloing in an MP game:
    You lose your map.
    You can't pause the game with the escape key.
    If your connection goes down, the game drops.

I'm sure that's not everything, but it hits on the big things I can think of right now.

7. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

I've noticed slight lag in a local MP Game (with nobody else joining, my computer the only one attached to my hub, no internet connection). But that's maybe because my computer isn't strong enough.

In matter of drops, there are no effects. The only thing that does matter is how many players are there in the game. But the /players X options counts exactly the same as other real players non partied or not in the same area.

So unless you can join other characters, add them to your party and put/keep them close to your playing char in a MP game, there is no difference to what SP can do (with the /players X setting)