Single player home network games.

What is the biggest home network of D2 you have ever owned/played upon?

• Total voters

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello everyone, I rarely play much D2 these days, but what D2 I do play is always going to be on my own home network, so not sure this is the right place to post questions and such. I don't have any interest in b.net play, but I do want to play on my home network. All of my home network computers are running 1.14d, currently.

Can anyone pint me in the proper direction for things that might make playing multiple characters at the same time more fun/doable? I just played a two player game, but had to manually move each character around every twisted corner of the map, and wonder if there is a better way to play home network games?

I don't currently have any D2 friends, and so I just plan to play on my own home network. I would like help and suggestions for avoiding mistakes in gameplay, and ask for advice on sites that may be more aligned with what I actually do in D2.

Thanks for any help and information.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
Hello and welcome to the SPF. If you read the Rules and the Community & Links threads in the stickies, you will find all sort of help.

You don’t actually need multiple computers - You can run eight instances of D2 on a single computer.

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Hello and welcome to the SPF. If you read the Rules and the Community & Links threads in the stickies, you will find all sort of help.

You don’t actually need multiple computers - You can run eight instances of D2 on a single computer.
What?!?!
Holy cow! I will do that right now. Looks like this is the place to go to get questions answered. Much thanks!

zemaj

Diabloii.Net Member
Wait... if you are meaning like playing two characters simultaneously, multi-instancing will not be optimal for that, as you will have to tab between instances (which causes lag spikes if done much) to swap characters. Best setup for that would be side-by-side monitors, and macro-embedded mice (which have been decided by the powers that be to be cheating within the rules of this forum for some obscure reason) for each hand, so you don't have to keyboard-shuffle.

Or if you just want Enchant and BO slaves, or higher player count in older patches, then multi-instancing should work fine.

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Back in the day, before my home network grew, I could just plug them all into a single KVM, and rotate through the different characters views. While this work for the XP {or perhaps, used to} It didn't actually give me the use of more than one character at a time. I mean, sure, when I did things like blood raven, I'd have all the characters hire an an archer chick, and then carefully advance them one at a time until they were almost in range of Blood Raven, then would dart forward and lure her into range of the massed mercs missile fire! :)

Was kinda hard on the poor Rogues, as even 20th level prayer was not enough to keep them all alive, every time, but it sure was fun.

I remember back in the day, I played a D&D game on the old commodore 64, and in that game you had up to 6 player characters and 2 NPC's in your party. I just wish that D2 had a party system in place, that allowed for playing multiple characters at the same time, kinda like the 2nd - 8th characters would be like your mercenary, and be able to fight and such on their own.

I just got a {KEY of Hate} or some such thing! When I googled it, it said that there were three keys, that only drop in HELL mode. I spent entirely too much time killing the summoner and countess, over and over again, but never got a second key. :(

I also got two {Essence of Suffering} thingies, and google says get all four of them, and then I get to fight a souped up version of the three, and the reward is something called a {Hellfire Torch} large charm. So, something new to look forward to after a long break from the game.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
There is no way accepted by this forum to play characters simultaneously. You have to switch between them.

You keys and essences are different:

Keys allow you to access the Pandemonium Event. Although the keys drop in Single Player, the event cannot be accessed by any way permitted in this forum.

Essences allow you to respec your character, if you have all four. Works fine in SP.

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah! So, if I am understanding this correctly, even if I got all three keys, it would be a waste of time when playing offline, sorta like a runeword that only works for ladder characters or something? That's good to know, as I would have been very disappointed to go to all that trouble, only to not be able to play the thing out.

So, the KEYS don't actually work offline, but the essences do? How exactly does this work? Are there restrictions on character classes, or number of times one can reset a given character? I know enough about the post 1.10 versions of the game to know what the resets do and that you only get three of them per character, but is there any relationship between the quest rewards and the essences? Perhaps something like, you have to first use up all your quest rewards, before you can reset using the essences. Or do you lose all quest rewards once you use the essences?

I had a big falling out with the whole D2 playing thing, way back in the day, when 1.10 came out, and my favorite character class at the time was nerfed into uselessness as a result. I then discovered a thing that folks at first thought was some sorta hack or hoax, and had a hard time convincing folks to party up and step out of town so I could demonstrate what I was trying to do.

I went on to hosting, for a few months, games where I would start a series of Baal runs, and folks would join up and we had a great time killing off the last of the three and all his minions, over and over again. I'm not sure when I made the discovery, except that it had to be after I gave up on the necromancer, and that didn't happen till 1.10 came out and broke them completely.

At first I would have to convince folks I wasn't hacking/cheating somehow with what I was doing, but it wasn't until several days/weeks into playing around with this spell, that I got into an 8 player game and convinced one guy to make a new, 1st level character, party up with me, and step outside town. I had him open up his character screen, and keep an eye on his damage, and tell what it was, both before and after I cast my spell upon him. I had run into folks before that who had trusted me enough to give this a try, but it was, up until this particular game, always the same thing, folks would distrust me, and think that it must be some new hack and/or cheat, and that no way was there something legit built into the game, that everyone else had either overlooked or discovered and kept to themselves, up until that point.

I had the guy read off his brand new, 1st level characters damage, and then cast a nearly maxed out ENCHANT on him!

His response was everything I could have hoped for, short, sweet, and very motivating for other players to want to try this out! When I asked him what his damage was after my spell, at first all he said was, "OMG"! :)

After he started selling everyone else on trying this out, one of the other players told everyone that I was running some kinda scam, and had to be working with the other fellow to somehow mess with people, and how he had been playing the game from the retail release and he knew for sure that their was no way of helping out another player like I was describing, and thus not to trust me or the other fellow. As chance would have it, the character that the doubting thomas was playing at the time was also a sorceress, and I had him open up his fire skill tree, and see for himself exactly what the spell was, and how it worked.

Like all true doubting thomases throughout history, even when he had the information right before him, he scornfully scoffed at the idea that the puny little damage buff listed for level one Enchant was actually worth anything, and he didn't believe it could grow into what I was selling it as. Eventually, he realised that, if you maxed out this otherwise useless little spell, you could have a whole new type of sorceress, called an Enchantress, and history was made.

After the first guy started enthusiastically singing the praises of being able to kill stuff solo, in an 8 player game, with a first level guy with nothing but the equipment he spawned with {I commonly gave folks the gold to buy basic equipment, and got them to try using a bow}, and the doubting thomas was silenced, the whole demographics went from "Yeah, right" to "Chat me, please" in the space of about one month. Of course, it helped when I made a new sorceress, and her name was {Enchantress_WoE}. I had a great time, going from game to game, and chanting folks and improving their playing experience, by using an overlooked, built in game mechanic!

Those were the days! :)

Last edited:

Jocular

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah! So, if I am understanding this correctly, even if I got all three keys, it would be a waste of time when playing offline, sorta like a runeword that only works for ladder characters or something?
@Void Stalker actually, you can use ladder-only runewords as well as ladder-only cube recipes while on single-player. The cube stuff is innate, the runewords require you to download a file and change how you boot up D2, it's very simple. Check out this thread and scroll down to the 'RWM' (runeword mod).

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/spf-community-and-links.961215/

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
@Void Stalker actually, you can use ladder-only runewords as well as ladder-only cube recipes while on single-player. The cube stuff is innate, the runewords require you to download a file and change how you boot up D2, it's very simple. Check out this thread and scroll down to the 'RWM' (runeword mod).

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/spf-community-and-links.961215/
Nice link, and now I see how my D2 playing time is going to be ruled for the next several months! So many things, so many options...

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Wait... if you are meaning like playing two characters simultaneously, multi-instancing will not be optimal for that, as you will have to tab between instances (which causes lag spikes if done much) to swap characters. Best setup for that would be side-by-side monitors, and macro-embedded mice (which have been decided by the powers that be to be cheating within the rules of this forum for some obscure reason) for each hand, so you don't have to keyboard-shuffle.

Or if you just want Enchant and BO slaves, or higher player count in older patches, then multi-instancing should work fine.
I currently have 8 working computers with D2/LOD installed on 7 of them, but have not been playing much D2 for the last year or so, and what little I have been playing is just 3 guys/computers. I got to where I had 2 KVM boxes, and three monitors in my home network playstation/man-cave, and back then I didn't yet have the last two computers. :)

I would have to respectfully agree to disagree with what constitutes cheating. IDK what a "Macro-embedded mouse" is, or how that is different than using a KVM box, but to me, legit means that having multiple characters in game requires
having multiple computers, each with it's own legit game installation, for every character! That setup is the true out of the box setup, and anything else is cheating!:D {JOKE}

That being said, I wouldn't care at all how someone was controlling their additional computers, and the characters they are running on those computers, so long as it is one character per computer, per legit copy of the game. But that's just me, and this forum sees things differently, and while I respect their right to enforce their own rules of conduct for play/trade, as is their right, I've never been one to trade items. Online, I would give away lots of stuff back when I was younger and playing every day, now I don't play all that much, and then only in single player. Not looking to actually play with others, except in the case where I know them in real life. With that being so, the only remaining differences I have will be in mentioning things that are verboten here on the forums, which I will avoid to the best of my abilities.

One question I would ask of everyone here:
How many computers do you own, right now, either working or not, that are/were D2/LOD capable? For me, that is 11 desktop and 1 laptop computers right at the moment. Unfortunately, all three of the windows XP computers are currently kaput, as well as the vile windows Vista creature that is collecting dust in some remote corner of my home somewhere...

I have purchased a total of 3 CD sets, and the rest are digital downloads over the years, so I feel entitled to having full 8 player games on my own home network games, without the need for mule programs or multi-instance programs. I take pride in my legit network, but understand that this is not really needed or respected by others for it's own sake.

To steal and rewrite a TV commercials catch phrase, "How many D2 computers are in your house"?

Last edited:

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
I wonder if there is any interest in pictures of my mercenary hoards killing Blood Raven? Normal is interesting, but once I have the time to do it in NM and Hell, probably using a paladin posse and a minion mancer to augment the mercs, it may (or NOT) become funny/entertaining.:cool:

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member
I wonder if there is any interest in pictures of my mercenary hoards killing Blood Raven? Normal is interesting, but once I have the time to do it in NM and Hell, probably using a paladin posse and a minion mancer to augment the mercs, it may (or NOT) become funny/entertaining.:cool:
I'm just curious why you would want to self network. I could see these mercenary hoards being slightly amusing on occasion, but they are certainly much more work than its worth. I would think it would be much simpler to advance eight characters separately (playing one character at a time) that switching between 8 computers at a time, even with something like a KVM to simplify the process.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
I agree with jjscud. Rushing is easily acomplished on one computer, but if you want to level quickly /players8 Blizzsorc will get through things quickly.

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, not to be bad, but I have to admit, I've only a very limited experience with using the whole /players8 thing, and didn't even know about it until years later, after I got my self setup with multiple computers for my home network. I don't have any program that allows me to run my enchantress and a playing character + mules on the same machine, or for that matter any program that allows me to mule on one machine. Maybe I should get around to checking things llike that out, but then again, I already have all the computers and can do all that manually, so. :)

I'm an old fart, set in my ways, and just really play for the kick of it.

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
There are many reasons to play single player but gomule is a top contender. Why have all that struggle in your life? Keep all the items, index them, use them whenever you want easily. Muling with self mp? No thanks. I'd rather quit than futz with that. I play d2 to play d2.. The idea is playing a character through the game because that's what the game is. Everything else is a headache that I endure to get to the goal of playing a character through the game. Muling shouldn't be a hassle.

Also you should use player settings man it's great. I dunno what you're doing with all that business it sounds like it's a big hassle.

Void Stalker

Diabloii.Net Member
My own personal enjoyment come from a few different things. I love to build characters up and play around with what they can do, and I love having mule-vaults. Once I even built characters of a given class and level, with the right stats to be able to equip the entire set they sere designed to store. Than was fun, but I never did get all the pieces of all the sets, never mind all the characters to serve as living mannequins for the sets. All those characters were on the hard drive of my last XP computer, and that died almost a year ago.

So maybe I should ask, what does gomule do, and how is it different from just normal muling? Normal muling being defined as two computers, each running a copy of the game, and one opening the game and the other computer coming and going, dropping and sorting items and such? Keep in mind, I have been doing that since at least 1.07, and never heard of doing this any other way. Is GoMule easier to do, or better in some way?

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
GoMule allows you to save all your items in searchable files - A bit like a Windows folder. If you like collecting stuff, you will never look back.

You can even search all you items - Want to find all the rare rings you have with >5% Mana Leech and >20% Lighting Resistance? GoMule can do it.

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
+1 for giving GoMule a whirl (or, realistically, +1 from everyone on this forum who has ever used it).