Single Pass Untwinked MLD Tourney: Phase I PvM

colony

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Forum Name   Character Name        Class         Level   No Deaths   Last WP
Zhao         Shadowsong            Sorceress     48      0           Finished
skoolbus     Smite_Me              Paladin       35      0           Harrogoth
Zhao         Ansatsusha            Assassin      31      2           City of the Damned
Sint         Loki                  Druid         28      0           Kurast Docks
Hitek        Tropical              Necromancer   27      0           Kurast Docks
Brak         CandyCoatedKilr       Assassin      26      0           Canyon of the Magi
Pedu         Kobe                  Paladin       24      0           Far oasis
IronCrown    CocaCola              Paladin       19      1           Inner Cloister
Zhao         Stormrage             Druid         15      0           Black Marsh
'poops       dorkette              Barbarian     15      0           Dark Wood
CarRamRod    LazySlothman          Paladin       12      0           Stony Field
Brak         a little girl         Sorceress     0       0           None
NacRuno      Ares                  Barbarian     0       0           None
NacRuno      Kitiara               Assassin      0       0           None
Hitek        Action Action         Druid         0       0           None
Colony       Captain_Caveman       Barbarian     0       0            None
Colony       Taelana               Sorceress     0       0           None
I decided to finally enter this (hope it's not too late). I've never actually done any MLD before so the PvP part could get interesting.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome to the brawl colony, plenty of time left. I don't think a lot of us have done any MLD'ing before especially untwinked. Can't wait to get to the PvP part.

@Zhao, Don't forget that Normal Cows are open for a single pass as well, you might be able to hit 49 if you haven't already done them yet. And those items should get you a pretty nice trade value. If your sin is a trapper, you can even trade with yourself:wink: .

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Zhao         Ansatsusha            Assassin      31      2           City of the Damned
Sint         Loki                  Druid         28      0           Kurast Docks
Hitek        Tropical              Necromancer   27      0           Kurast Docks
Brak         CandyCoatedKilr       Assassin      26      0           Canyon of the Magi
Pedu         Kobe                  Paladin       30      0           Lower Kurast
IronCrown    CocaCola              Paladin       19      1           Inner Cloister
Zhao         Stormrage             Druid         15      0           Black Marsh
CarRamRod    LazySlothman          Paladin       12      0           Stony Field
Havent found anything nice yet some berserker set thingies, angelic ring and cleglaws sword. Still, no problems. As stated, the pvp thingy should be intresting.

Zhao_Yue

Diabloii.Net Member
@Zhao, Don't forget that Normal Cows are open for a single pass as well, you might be able to hit 49 if you haven't already done them yet. And those items should get you a pretty nice trade value. If your sin is a trapper, you can even trade with yourself:wink: .
Good point, I forgot about cows. That's what happens when you do full clears for the first time. :grin:

Trade with yourself, what an odd concept. I'm assuming you can only trade one?

In the dueling portion of this tournament, how do you pair off everyone if there are an odd number of people? And if you are set to duel against your second character, how can you duel against yourself?

... I suggest for the first inquiry that you assign each character 2 points. Within your pool of duelers you randomly pair them off, and the lone straggeler (if there is one) must automatically be penciled in to duel in the next round. You again pair off characters again, and make sure the straggler duels the next round. Rince and repeat. Each loss constitutes a loss of 1 point, so 2 losses and your are out. The PvP portion ends when there is only one left!

... For the second inquiry, probably the only thing you can do is have the owner of the 2 characters choose which one will accept the loss. Or you can flip a coin.

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, the doubles that people want to enter can be solved.
Take a look at this spreadsheet. If you put someone who has two characters in the first and the last bracket they can only meet in the final which pretty much means he was the best dueler anyway.

The downside about this is that you only face one of the others, for example if you are starting in the top bracket you won't face anyone who starts in the bottom half except in the final. Anyway, there a points in there.. don't know how to work that in, but it looks good.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Good point, I forgot about cows. That's what happens when you do full clears for the first time. :grin:

Trade with yourself, what an odd concept. I'm assuming you can only trade one?

In the dueling portion of this tournament, how do you pair off everyone if there are an odd number of people? And if you are set to duel against your second character, how can you duel against yourself?

... I suggest for the first inquiry that you assign each character 2 points. Within your pool of duelers you randomly pair them off, and the lone straggeler (if there is one) must automatically be penciled in to duel in the next round. You again pair off characters again, and make sure the straggler duels the next round. Rince and repeat. Each loss constitutes a loss of 1 point, so 2 losses and your are out. The PvP portion ends when there is only one left!

... For the second inquiry, probably the only thing you can do is have the owner of the 2 characters choose which one will accept the loss. Or you can flip a coin.
For Trading: Remember that you can only trade amonst PvP entrants. So if you end up taking all three of your characters through PvM, only two can enter the PvP and those are the only trade eligible characters. You may also only trade your item that has been personalized. It doesn't have to be personalized pre-trade, but make sure it is before the exchange. This rule is in place for two reasons, first: it functionally limits what can be traded and second: think of the trash talk when you kill someone with their own item. I think that could be fun.

For Dueling Brackets: As Sint said, in order to keep from having someone duel themselves, I'll place them on opposite sides of the bracket so they can only meet in the finals. If someone pulls this off, then I guess they can do whatever they want with said match. Maybe set up two computers next to eachother and play left hand vs. right. Or email the character file to a runner up?

There are likely to be byes in order to sort out odd matchups, that's why I had the stipulations in there about who gets first dibs at a bye.

As for the losers brackets, I'm still not exactly sure how to work this and it will depend heavily on the number of final entrants. But I very much like your idea of keeping track with the simple point system. That should help keep things straight. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I've been keeping a close eye on Hrus' MFL tournies to see how he orchestrates things. I will say that there won't be any 1v1v1 matches though.

And thanks a lot for the spreadsheet Sint that should be quite helpful.

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Sint         Loki                  Druid         36      0           Harrogoth
Pedu         Kobe                  Paladin       30      0           Lower Kurast
Promised an update and since I hit a nice place I guess it's as good a time as any. Seriously though, my druid hasn't hit any real problems so far and even though Diablo was tough on p8, he still fell without my life going past 1/3 or so. I was thinking about starting a sorc since a good orb sorc will pretty much be the toughtest foe out there.. but.. I don't want to be like that. I'll finish this druid first and then see about making an assassin or so. :smiley:

LazySlothman

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Slothman     CarRamRod             Paladin       14      0           Dark Wood
Just a tiny update for me as I havent been able to play much, needed to fix my entry in the table anyway (forum name was in character name woops)
still have no idea what im going to do in regard to skills, 1 point might and a scepter ftw :laugh:

colony

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Colony       Captain_Caveman       Barbarian     15      0           Black Marsh
Time for my first update. Untwinked full clears is uhm, just *slightly* different from my normal playstyle:tongue:. It's been an interesting change though, especially as I've played for quite a while (over 3 hours, but not sure by how much) and I'm not even near getting to Act 2.

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Sint         Loki                  Druid         42      0           Glacial Trail
Colony       Captain_Caveman       Barbarian     15      0           Black Marsh
Act 5 is annoying to clear out because of the space in combination with the monsters. It's level rewarding though. Just freed Anya.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
skoolbus     Smite_Me              Paladin       48      0           Finished
Sint         Loki                  Druid         42      0           Glacial Trail
I also was just a hair under 49 after clearing cows, which only dropped me some gems and sig armor. I have about 160 stat points left to place, probably all of which are going in vita. I didn't find any items to trade that would be godly on another char (though I had some rare greater talons and ceremonial javs). Now I get to go through and cube up all of my runes and try and get another amn so I can make a lore helm, yippee. Also, when I decide on my next char, I'm going to make one more conducive to PvM. I'm also debating what to socket it what, as I have about 5 pdiamonds and maybe one of everything else. The hardest part is about to come, I cant wait!

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Sint         Loki                  Druid         49      0           Finished
I don't know what I different then you guys, but I made level 49 and are even looking at a little bit of white on the exp bar (about a milimeter or so). Other then that, nothing new to report. I finished the PvM fase and am currently sorting out my gear to counter ''all possible match ups''. I'm really pleased of my character, but aren't of my stash. I hoped to find a Shael or at least be able to cube up to it, but if I finished cubing up my runes I'd be left with 1 amn and a couple of low ones (which was coming from 74 runes) so I didn't do that and went with a couple of lower runewords. Pretty horrible as I have no CBF now.

I'm not sure if I'm gonig to start another char, but for now I'm done and ready to duel. :smiley:

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Brak         CandyCoatedKilr       Assassin      28      0           Kurast Docks
Sorry for being delinquint on my tourney. Can only play at work and works been busy lately. I was thinking of starting the PvP phase three weeks from yesterday (Saturday). Thought this might give the people that had lost motivation a chance to get a second wind, and maybe give time for those already done to do a bit of testing. Let me know if this time frame is OK, or if people will be out of town.

Also, I'll try to leave an MP game open at night (US time) over the next two weekends. That way people can hop in and out if they needed a place to test their builds. Right now looks like only four at best. Not much of a bracket but at least I'll be able to figure out the pairings easily enough. I'll post a table later tonight for people to sign up for PvP.

Also if you want to list your trade items, this thread should be fine for that. Don't have to list an ISO if you want to be secretive.

IronCrown

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Brak         CandyCoatedKilr       Assassin      28      0           Kurast Docks
IronCrown    CocaCola              Paladin       24      1           Far Oasis

After the thread resurrection, I decided to see if I could push my char on. The going is extremely slow atm, and I am doubtfull if I would be able to finish him off before the time comes, but we will see.

Just plodding through A2 - slowly. Still using a 2-attack zeal, wich is very annoying.The only good thing is that I have 13 spare skill points to work with:grin: Hopefully A2 should fall sometime 2day.

IronCrown

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
IronCrown    CocaCola              Paladin       28      1           Kurast Docks

Just updating my char.

Finally made it through A2. I will play some more over the weekend, and see how it goes.
A2 went soooo slow, but did full clears non the less. Found some set items as well as a Nokozan Relic in the tombs, think A3 will go a little smoother, his killing speed is definately improving. Even did Duriel /p8 without any problems.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Added in the PvP sign up table for those still interested.

Code:
Brak         CandyCoatedKilr       Assassin      29      0           Spider Forest
IronCrown    CocaCola              Paladin       28      1           Kurast Docks

Code:
[B]PvP Phase[/B]
[B]Forum Name      Character     Deaths    Level   RWM*   Losses[/B]

*For RWM only applies if your character is using RMW enabled runewords.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess we'll call this dead. Sorry for everyone that spent time creating characters for this. And if you're ever up for a FFA maybe we can get something organized. I was probably gonna get my *** handed to me, especially since I was experimenting with a BFsin.

zarfen

Diabloii.Net Member
You'er closing this? what a shame, I was missing this, and then I read this thread, it looked like some serious fun.. Too bad it's not gonna happen, I was really hungry for some pvp and after reading up on the progress in the thread I was eager to start a dueller...