Single parent vs two parent of same sex

Ron Burgundy

Diabloii.Net Member
Well i'd like to see the kids make fun of the child who has two hot lesbians for parents. He'd be the envy of the entire male populace of the school.

I'm curious to know why a child raised by two homosexuals would be so much more likely to be gay themselves. If anything, they're more likely to be openly gay rather than petrified of their own sexuality, if in fact they are gay. Homosexuality is not a socialized behavior. It's not learned, or taught. Why, then, do so many people seem adamant that a child raised in a gay household would automatically be more inclined to be gay?

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Homosexuality is not a socialized behavior. It's not learned, or taught.
This is still controversial. And its probably better we didn't get into it here :D

I read a study a while back that basically said kids raised by 2 homosexuals were more or less the same as kids raised in a hetero 2 parent family. They did have more chance of being homosexual, but the researchers believed that was because they were more likely to be willing to come out than those raised by heteros.

Garbad

Garbad_the_Weak said:
This is still controversial. And its probably better we didn't get into it here :D

I read a study a while back that basically said kids raised by 2 homosexuals were more or less the same as kids raised in a hetero 2 parent family. They did have more chance of being homosexual, but the researchers believed that was because they were more likely to be willing to come out than those raised by heteros.

Garbad
My thoughts on it exactly coincide with the findings of that study.

At any rate, I only mentioned it to combat a misconception I'm already seeing in multiple people's posts, that somehow homosexuality "rubs off." No wonder our nation is so homophobic if uninformed straight people think that being around gays too much might make them one day wake up gay themselves.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
For guys, unlikely. However it's more probable for girls. I know a girl or two that had boyfriends and then in college after hanging out with lesbians they turned gay.

When I first saw my friend who turned gay kissing another girl it was something...

PublicEnemy

Diabloii.Net Member
Dirty_Zulu said:
So I think married gays should be allowed to artificially procreate.

So what would you rather be raised in? A single parent home or a home with two parent of same sex?
Gays shouldn't even be married.
They shouldn't be allowed to procreate.
Artificial procreation should be required only when natural procreation has failed,and since it's still impossible to make babies with 2 ppl of the same gender, let it be.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
PublicEnemy said:
Gays shouldn't even be married.
They shouldn't be allowed to procreate.
Artificial procreation should be required only when natural procreation has failed,and since it's still impossible to make babies with 2 ppl of the same gender, let it be.
I'm going to try my best not to get to graphic, but instead let your imagination take this one, but seems to me that "impossible" inherently means it failed. I mean what if a guy had some terrible accident involving his baby making parts being rendered sterile, before he attempted reproduction (with a lady). That would still be impossible, and I doubt you'd have a problem with that.

As with all things this really depends. if the couple is not committed, either the homosexual or the straight couple) the kid will have to deal with the nasty break up and that could negatively effect him/her. If the single parent is stable in a career and doesn't work crazy long hours, things could end up okay. THe sexual preference isn't so much the issue, but time, money and effort the parent(s) are willing and able to put into child's life is what matters.

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Also, I seem to recall a custody battle a few years ago where one parent tried to get more custody because the other parent was homosexual. IIRC, the hetero put on a lot of evidence that growing up in a homosexual home would screw up the kid but the judge ruled even the best interests of a child were not sufficient to allow unequal treatment based on sexual orientation.

Can some of the lawyers back me up on this one?

Garbad

Damned activist statisticians.

"Our research proves that X is true, so X is most likely false because of Y that somehow we failed to account for until after the results came in. We clearly had solid methodology and well-planned collection techniques. We're professional statisticians. You're pregnant, you'll have to get out of the business. Don't forget to pack a coat, I hear Moscow's cold."

bigD72

Diabloii.Net Member
It is my opinion that children growing up with homosexual parents of the same sex as the child will be more likely to be gay because parents (supposedly) have the most influence on their child. If the child see's their parents involved in acts of a sexual nature with the same gender I believe the child will precieve this as the way said child should act.

One example I can think of is if a child is exposed to lots of academic related materials they typically are smarter than an average child. If a child grows up in a 'rough' neighborhood where they see their parents dealing drugs and making alot of quick cash said child will probably be inclined to do the same.

bigD72 said:
It is my opinion that children growing up with homosexual parents of the same sex as the child will be more likely to be gay because parents (supposedly) have the most influence on their child. If the child see's their parents involved in acts of a sexual nature with the same gender I believe the child will precieve this as the way said child should act.

One example I can think of is if a child is exposed to lots of academic related materials they typically are smarter than an average child. If a child grows up in a 'rough' neighborhood where they see their parents dealing drugs and making alot of quick cash said child will probably be inclined to do the same.
I grew up with two of the most conservative parents you'll ever meet. My dad's an oil executive who was a Nat'l Honor Society member and a geek to the extreme, and my mother went to Catholic school. I did drugs in high school. So much for that theory.

Big D, we're also not talking about socialized behavior here. I think I made that clear. Sexual preference is not a learned behavior. It's far more complicated than that. At worst, a straight child growing up in a homosexual household may be a little more open minded to things and might explore a little more. At best, he/she will be far more open minded and will do what a lot of people around here can't seem to do--accept homosexuals as normal human beings just like everyone else.

DrunkCajun said:
I grew up with two of the most conservative parents you'll ever meet. My dad's an oil executive who was a Nat'l Honor Society member and a geek to the extreme, and my mother went to Catholic school. I did drugs in high school. So much for that theory.
Well, to be fair, plenty of conservatives do drugs in high school.

On a more serious note, I don't get why growing up with heterosexual parents is assumed to make you less tolerant of homosexuals than you would be if you grew up with homosexual parents. If that were true, wouldn't it stand to reason that a child raised by homosexuals would be less tolerant of heterosexuals than he would be if he were raised by heterosexuals?

bigD72

Diabloii.Net Member
DC in reply to your reply.

In my opinion...

The fact that you did those things is probably because of your environment.

I strongly believe in nurture over nature in terms of people and their behavior.

Nature gives a foundation but it can still be over come by nurture.

Going back to my academics example, I'm certain that people are born a genuis and they can not study to become one, but there are probably genui that never reached their potential because of a lack of nuturing.

I'm not saying studying hard won't make you smart but studying alone will never let you reach the level of a true genius.

Also I would like you to note that I am trying to avoid definite terms and instead using words such as "probably or more likely or opinion" because there is no scientific proof or any kind of proof really for anything that is being discussed.

So if sexual preference is biological (I'm not saying it isn't) I still think it could probably be overcome by a surrounding of any sexual preference.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
bigD72 said:

I'm not sure. I think some people are born gay, they have too much of this chemical or not enough of that one, whatever.

but I know some people that just up and change their minds. I don't think those that change their minds would have had it not been some gay influence in their life. It's not so easy as gay or straight at birth, environment plays a role too i think.

StarStageGurl

Diabloii.Net Member
I can feel logorrhea in the tips of my fingers

There are so many factors that must be considered before saying one condition is better than the other... Unless all biasness towards homosexuals is eradicated, our opinions on this subject will be very very strong and unyielding. Okay, so let me look at it from an unbiased perspective...

Firstly, it really depends on the condition of the single parent. Is she a mother who got impregnated and unwiliingly gave birth to the child? Hopefully not. What kind of influence does each parent have on the child? If both my parents were loving even though they were seperated, I'd be pretty happy. As someone mentioned before, if the single parent worked all day and left the child to grow up him/herself, obviously, having two parents of the same sex would be better.

Parents can provide a child with a loving environment or a bad environment whether they are of the same sex or not. It's not so much what gender the child's parents are but how they treat the child.

So ultimately, it really depends on the situation... okay, that was a bunch of common sense garbage, I promise the rest of the post is better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do, actually agree with DrunkCajun. The environment shapes what you believe in and who you are. However, children who have gay parents will not neccesarily be more inclined towards being gay. It's not a learned behavior. Being more open-minded to the subject, they might "experiment" and think about it more and make the right choice. As opposed to a conservative person who truely is gay, but does not admit it because of the beliefs he acquired during his period of growth. So statistically, maybe more children with gay parents will grow up to admit that they are, indeed, gay. This concept applies to anybody with the mindset that being homosexual is absolutely okay.

BigD, I think the kid will see plenty of heterosexual activity around him as well. The first thing that came to my head when I read your post was, "So having homosexual parents will make him close-minded towards heterosexuals?" I don't exactly think you're trying to say that, but you do get my point don't you?

If I had to choose between a wonderful single parent and an equally wonderful married homosexual couple for parents, I'd probably choose the homosexual couple just because I believe that a complete family is always better than a not-so-complete one. When one parent is away at work, I'll have another one to take care of me. If I wanted to talk to a parent about something important, I could choose who to tell. Also, there wouldn't be any major conflict between my parents with me in the middle if they were a loving couple. As anakabit and Mixed said before, twice the love is always nice.

I blame that confusing post on logorrhea. I just love that word. Logorrhea. Logorrhea. It seems like the more I say it, the more mysterious it sounds.

neophase

Banned
If my 2 parent's were of same sex, I'd try to the best of my ability to find my birth parents and I would never give up searching, even if it took 30-70 years!

If my child turned out to be homosexual, I would quarantine the kid first, see if he/she changed his/her path, than if that didn't work, longer terms in quarantine. And if that didn't work, prob brutally whip this person til they accept the ways of their fathers.

Must always pass on the seed of life, that's what our ancestors hope for 24/7. When we choose the other path, it's a path of greed and brings shame to our families. It's IMO unlawful IMO, so I would enact justice if they weren't willing to change; In a private matter of course. :)
Would never happen cause I know how I will raise my kids rofl, unlike more than half this current generation of *blah* parents hehe.

Peace

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
IDupedInMyPants said:
Well, to be fair, plenty of conservatives do drugs in high school.

On a more serious note, I don't get why growing up with heterosexual parents is assumed to make you less tolerant of homosexuals than you would be if you grew up with homosexual parents. If that were true, wouldn't it stand to reason that a child raised by homosexuals would be less tolerant of heterosexuals than he would be if he were raised by heterosexuals?
I disagree. I was raised with a Mom and a Dad, they always taught me that being homosexual is wrong and disgraceful. I feel ashamed for those people.

Anakha1

Banned
neophase said:
If my 2 parent's were of same sex, I'd try to the best of my ability to find my birth parents and I would never give up searching, even if it took 30-70 years!

If my child turned out to be homosexual, I would quarantine the kid first, see if he/she changed his/her path, than if that didn't work, longer terms in quarantine. And if that didn't work, prob brutally whip this person til they accept the ways of their fathers.

Must always pass on the seed of life, that's what our ancestors hope for 24/7. When we choose the other path, it's a path of greed and brings shame to our families. It's IMO unlawful IMO, so I would enact justice if they weren't willing to change; In a private matter of course. :)
Would never happen cause I know how I will raise my kids rofl, unlike more than half this current generation of *blah* parents hehe.

Peace
I find it incredibly sad that you would rather brutally beat your kid into submission than accept the way he is and live and let live. You'd rather psychologically mess him up by telling him who he is is bad and wrong and that you don't love him enough to accept it and would be ashamed of him instead of being proud to have a child that's strong enough to stand up for himself against people like you. It's sad that you think beating your child because he's not what you expected is "justice". It's sad that you're so ignorant of how homosexuality comes about that you think you can actually change it or that you can avoid it by how you raise him and that parents of homosexuals are failures. It's even sadder that some people think that this kind of unacceptance is normal and alright. It's this kind of crap that is what's wrong with the world, not things like homosexuality.

In short, your ignorance, opinions and bigotry in this matter are just so damn sad and foolish I can't even believe I read that. God, I hope you never have kids. You don't know where to start.

And then to answer your post with "peace". Oh the irony.

Newman

Diabloii.Net Member
neophase said:

Peace
Despite I'm against homesexuality, if I ever have kids and they turn out that way I'm not going to 'quarantine' them that's just ridiculous. I would accept it, if they want to be that way, it's their choice, not mine. Sure, I would have my opinions on it, but I still wouldn't love them any less.

Your ideas are outrageous as they are ridiculous, you have no right to EVER look after ANY child.