Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Single parent vs two parent of same sex

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Single parent vs two parent of same sex

Just saw Mean Creek. Pretty good movie about kids dealing with bullies. One kid had two gay dads and he seems to have a good life. Another kid has a single mom and he's the most messed up. My sig. other used to councel troubled teens and she says good percentage comes from single parent homes. So I think married gays should be allowed to artificially procreate.

So what would you rather be raised in? A single parent home or a home with two parent of same sex?

2. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Definitely single parent. I cannot even imagine what it is like having two gay dads, or moms...
    And fact of the matter is, you WILL get make fun more for having parents of same sex.

3. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Yikes, this one's gonna get ugly. I wager 36 hours before this thread is locked down because someone can't handle talking about homosexuals.

At any rate, I see absolutely no problems with same sex parenting. In fact, same sex relationships are statistically shown to be more stable. Same sex parenting hasn't gone on long enough for there to be any real data collected, but in this day and age of cheating, broken families, divorce and remarriage every few years, and passing kids back and forth between divorced parents, I can't imagine how on Earth having a stable family is going to be detrimental to a child.

And don't give me your "unnatural" or "but the Bible says" or any of that. If we're talking about allowing it, we're talking about law, and I'm sorry, but at least for now, the Bible and US law are still separate entities. Just because something is forbidden in the Bible does not mean it should be against the law--if that were the case masturbation would land you in jail.

4. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

imo it dont really matter, a good parent is a good parent gay or not

5. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

My initial knee-jerk reaction was a resounding "No."

It has a lot to do with the fact that in Poland, both the kid and the parents would be very strongly shunned, and, in effect, ostracized. While it's politically correct to say that you accept homosexuals, the truth is (at least where I live) that it's not heavily supported if you mix children into the equation.

Apparently, the child will feel the "need" to identify himself as homo when he grows up, because he'll perceive it as normal. The assumption is made that homosexual love is something unnatural, morally wrong, and should not be seen by children. The assumption disappears if it's only two people, and the speaker knows at least one of them.

6. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Thats my view. Sexual preference has no bearing on how you rear children.

7. SilentMagik

SilentMagik IncGamers Member

First of all one has to look the childs best interest and thats all that really matters. I dont think it's an equal rights issue for gay people because being a parent is not a right, it is a privilege.

That said I dont believe being gay means you are a bad parent and I agree with zodiac66. Gay couples should be able to adopt on the same premises as any heterosexual couple. When considering someone for adoption the thing to ask shouldn't be "Is this person gay or straight". It should be "Is this a mature, responsible person that is able to love and properly care for a child".

Its a complicated issue though and nothing is self evident. I think one has to consider each case individually. To determine all gay people to be automatically unfit as parents is discriminating and wrong imo.

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Twice the love in raising a child is never a bad thing.

9. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Sad but true.

I honestly would rather live with a single parrent then 2 homosexual parents. I don't believe it's right.

10. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

I haven't seen any studies that says kids of gay parents would likely to become homosexual.

Although I would agree that kids do follow in their parents footsteps.

11. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

yah id have to agree. one parental unit.

12. onionfarm

onionfarm IncGamers Member

It would only work if the kid had a strong outer crust or went to private school.

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

If parents could "teach" someone to be homosexual, there would be none because no hetero parent teaches their kids to be homosexual. You can't "make" someone homosexual. You either are or you aren't.

And the getting made fun of is a dependent point. The effectiveness of someone making fun of the child and having it affect him is dependent on how strong or weak the child is. Parental love is more important than peer acceptance. Plus, as much as some conservatives don't wish it, young people are being more accepting of homosexual relationships.

14. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I believe that UserMathias is talking about the popular opinion in Poland, rather than about what is fact or what is his own opinion.

15. skihard

skihard Banned

If my wife and I are both involved in a life ending accident, my 4 children’s legal guardian will be my wife’s GAY brother and his partner. I have 3 girls and 1 boy and they visit on a regular basis and I see the way those 2 are with my children and I can think of no family member better suited for the task of raising my children. The best part for me is that one is a Republican (yeah) and one is a Democrat (not so yeah) but they both have views on life that are much like my wife’s and mine. Hers leaning more left on issues and mine leaning more right on issues, much like those 2 so my children won’t have one voice pushed on them but will instead get both sides of current events and then be able to decide for themselves.

16. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

We need to be very careful of avoiding broad general stereotypes here. Single parent households can be an excellent source for raising children as well if you have a good, strong parent to do the job.

As was said... all that is really needed is a good parent - straight, gay, in a partnership, with one leg, with three noses, black, white, green, Lithuanian, American, Martian, single, or whatever...

but we all know that Martians make lousy parents

17. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Statistics do show that in general, single parent households are less stable than two-parent households. I don't see what difference the sexual preferences of the parents are, if there are two of them and they're both decent, stable people. And, as someone said (Aknabbit, maybe), twice the love can't be bad.

18. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

Whoever lets me eat junkfood and stay up my bedtime is the winner

19. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Well, first of all, let's not forget we're talking about a movie here. Fiction, that is. Completely fabricated.

Second, it's a personal opinion type thread. It's a pet peeve of mine that we can never even discuss opinions without someone bringing up the same old "gay couples are inherently more stable than straight couples" song and dance. Even if someone did manage to gather enough data for the statistical differences to be relevant, it still wouldn't be like no gay couple ever has problems and all straight couples do. And it still wouldn't be like we were comparing gay couples and straight couples, since he asked about comparisons between gay couples and single parents.

It seems to me like either way the kid would be lacking a role model of whichever gender is absent for a few of his or her formative years, which is a total bummer. I'd have to go with the gay couple though, because presumably any two average people together would have more time and financial ability to raise a child than any one average person alone.

20. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I think that we will all make certain assumptions and thus will have different answers.

I will make the following assumptions:

Single parent works and leaves kid to nursery and then to raise itself.

Homosexual parents one works and the other is a stay at home person.
    Homosexual parents both work and the child has more financial stability, but same discipline as single parent.

In my opinion the Homosexual parents would be a better situation as far as the well being of the child.

I do also hold the opinion that that child will be made fun of a great deal and have a very increased chance of being homosexual as opposed to someone of a single parent.

I don't like homosexuality but I do believe every person should have the same rights.

For my dislike of homosexuality I would choose the single parent.
    For my opinion of the child's well-being the homosexual parents.